1989 Macgregor 26D.....new to me.. and a few questions

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
Here is my 1989 26D I just got on Saturday. It took most of the afternoon on Sunday to figure out how to raise the mast. The homemade rig was not working so we cannibalized it and built a new one to keep from spinning on the mast step. All in all under the dirt she was covered in I am still happy with my purchase. Although in stead of sailing her like she is I want to do a complete refit and restore. But before I tear her apart, here she is...
IMG_6176.jpeg

IMG_6185.jpeg

There is a metal "something" on the foredeck can someone explain what this is?
IMG_6179.jpeg

Also on the front of the mast there are two round rings and a black plastic part that is broke off. What are each of these?
IMG_6190.jpeg

IMG_6189.jpeg

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yep. Not OEM.
You sure you wouldn't want to just go sailing and prioritize projects from there?
"If anything is going to happen, it will happen out there".

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
Yep. Not OEM.
You sure you wouldn't want to just go sailing and prioritize projects from there?
"If anything is going to happen, it will happen out there".
I would love to just go sailing... but I want to make sure I don't damage the boat any further. She's in good shape but I want to make sure she's a bullet proof as I can make her. Here is a list of things I want to do as of now.

1. All new standing rigging.
2. New spreaders
3. New mast step brackets to accept newer style mast winch system.
4. Remove all deck hardware and rebed
5. New windows
6. New sails with roller furler
7. Fix stress cracks and repaint
8. Add Anchor bow roller
9. All new electical
10. New dagger and rudder........

As of now I would like to have her ready by mid Autumn. I have a few other toys to sell to finance the project. Summer will has wakeboarding and knee boarding behind the pontoon. So we will be out on the water. Plus I am planning to use the sailboat more in the spring an fall for camping when the weather is cooler and day trips otherwise so we should be good.

What mods does anyone recommend? or must haves that should be done to the boat?

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
Do you have access to the previous owner?
The fittings on the mast and deck could be jib or spin pole related. Just a WAG.
the owner i got it fro never sailed it, previous owner to him has passed away from what I was told.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
So you said you got several sets of sails. Why in a rush for new sails?

And is something wrong with your spreaders?

Now if you have done your homework (and it sure seems like you have) you know that standing rigging is supposed to be changed on a regular cycle, but consider that most of those recommendations are made by sailors who keep their boats in the water. The rigging is subjected to constant motion 24/7. If your boat has been a true trailor sailboat, then it may have less than 500 hours of use logged (less than one month).

From a safety perspective my recommendation would be to take a piece of cotton and "wipe" the standing rigging. If you have any broken strands, it will snag the cotton and you know you need to change the rigging. If you rigging is solid, then check the chain plates and the backing to the chain plates. If that is also good... check your running lights. If those are also working... go sailing on a 5-10 kt breeze. Test out your sails and see which set is worth keeping (if any). If you have a decent set of sails, then plan a few overnights on the boat. You will quickly learn what is really needed to make it fun and safe and what is just something your read on a forum or in a book. If you are sailing on a lake, you probably don't need nav. equipment. If you are coastal sailing your phone loaded with the navonics app and the windy app will give you nav. and weather reports. Just stay within 3 miles of shore and you should have cell service.

• Helpful
Jan 19, 2010
I forgot to add a good anchor, 10' of chain and about 100' of double braid nylon.

Now you are good to go...

Spend some time on your meal planning and trailmix is always a must have on the boat (and peanut butter orio cookies). And get a set of waterproof playing cards and a few board games (preferably wooden boards).

2016-06-24 07.41.31.jpg

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
I worry about causing damage with water intrusion from any and all fittings. This boat has been stored dry for the last 4-5 years. If I were to use it as is and wait to start my restoration in the winter would I be causing to much damage? Or would it be best to wait?
The standing rigging is all smooth although the crimps have a green corrosion on them. I carefully slid my hand down all the stays and no meat hooks were found. Just silky smooth.
The spreaders don’t seem to fold properly and even on stay seems a little kinked right at the spreader.

Port stays use turnbuckles and starboard stays use turnbuckles and plates.
A4EE74CF-39FF-4A74-8748-5EE96010C794.jpeg

Rear looks like this.
4DB9888A-79F2-4D9E-93C1-9779032D3B66.jpeg

I worry that if this is all wrong what else am I missing? And should it be best to just replace it all and start from scratch.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Sure looks like the PO had to compensate for short shrouds for some reason. I've never seen an arrangement like that on the backstay or the side shrouds. They come with a single pair of adjustable plates at every deck fitting.

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
Sure looks like the PO had to compensate for short shrouds for some reason. I've never seen an arrangement like that on the backstay or the side shrouds. They come with a single pair of adjustable plates at every deck fitting.
That’s what is making me worry they are not up to the task.

Jan 19, 2010
That’s what is making me worry they are not up to the task.
I see what you mean now. Too many possible failure points. I wonder if Blue Water Yachts could fix you up. They specialize in Macs. I have bought several things from them in the past
Yeah.... definitly a little creative engineering. Back home we would say "Boudreaux got some money... every now and again".

The macs didn't use turn buckles but instead just the adjuster plates. And the standing rigging was not very taught. The mast would move a little and only the windward side would be taught. I think Justin's advice to contact Blue Water is the right thing to do.

• Ha
Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
I have read and reread the BW website. They have a rigging kit. It’s on my list but I’ll look more in depth at it.

Nov 30, 2020
Macgregor 22 Dania, FL
There is some reason for the stay and shroud "lengtheners" If you can figure out why, I bet you can solve your rigging issues. Only the adjustment plates with the pins came from the factory.

Chip V.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yeah.... definitly a little creative engineering. Back home we would say "Boudreaux got some money... every now and again".

The macs didn't use turn buckles but instead just the adjuster plates. And the standing rigging was not very taught. The mast would move a little and only the windward side would be taught. I think Justin's advice to contact Blue Water is the right thing to do.
I don't know why I put a "Ha" there. It should have been "Like" :waycool:

• Ha