Window films

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Much better thanks.

Have you noticed any problems with the edges of the film as I would think this would be their Achilles' Heel. Ever notice the window film in vans ..................... always curling up after a few years and that's ON THE INSIDE.

I have tinted hatchlights and they still let the heat and bleaching UV pour in, and that's here in Canada. Florida is a whole 'nuther world of heat and UV so I think films would be a good recommendation for southern boat hatches regardless of whether tinted or not. I choose to use snap-on covers as they're much cheaper and more effective.

Same applies to hatches which have a southern exposure when at their home marina.
No problems with the edges yet (1-year).

I've been testing both polyurethane (Vivivid) headlight/light films and polyester films. The polyurethanes conform better to curves, are more ding resistant, probably less prone to pealing, and is more flexible to deal with differential expansion, but the polyester wears better because it is harder. I'll probably leave them up for ~ 5 years, as I have with vinyl, sealants, and other stuff I have tested for UV.

Installation is not difficult, but requires extreme attention to cleanliness and careful measurement (you can't trim in place on plastic windows).

There are films sold specifically for recreational aircraft. Not cheap and must conform to curves. Curiously, some are applied to the inside, some outside. They are for polycarbonate.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
No problems with the edges yet (1-year).

I've been testing both polyurethane (Vivivid) headlight/light films and polyester films. The polyurethanes conform better to curves, are more ding resistant, probably less prone to pealing, and is more flexible to deal with differential expansion, but the polyester wears better because it is harder. I'll probably leave them up for ~ 5 years, as I have with vinyl, sealants, and other stuff I have tested for UV.

Installation is not difficult, but requires extreme attention to cleanliness and careful measurement (you can't trim in place on plastic windows).

There are films sold specifically for recreational aircraft. Not cheap and must conform to curves. Curiously, some are applied to the inside, some outside. They are for polycarbonate.
Got links? I don't have curves on these windows which is convienient...

dj

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
The one thing I don't have in my grab bag of photos is a picture of the white panels I made for the boat a few years back. Made of Sunbrella. Attaches to the exterior cabin with SS snaps and only takes a few seconds to install or remove each time.
I leave them on the windows over the summer when at the dock to keep UV out and when it's really hot at anchor and no breeze, I'll put them back on. Still fairly bright inside.
Finally got around to taking a few pictures of the white window panels. Whole thing wasn't much over $50.00.

1619387461660.png