Window films

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
marine window tinting costs more than window tinting. Let me know if you figure out the difference.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
marine window tinting costs more than window tinting. Let me know if you figure out the difference.
That's one of my questions... I've sent in a request to 3M - will let you know if anything useful comes from that.

dj

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Got to wonder if 3M recommends the film for acrylic windows ? You're doubling the radiation the window receives which MAY accelerate the aging of the acrylic.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Got to wonder if 3M recommends the film for acrylic windows ? You're doubling the radiation the window receives which MAY accelerate the aging of the acrylic.
Only if the film were on the inside, if applied to the outside, it would greatly reduce the amount of UV seen by the acrylic. The films I'm looking at would be applied to the outside of the lens, not the inside.

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
The film is intended to adhere to the outside of a window. Whether it’s outside a beach house or a boat is irrelevant.
In their tech sheets of 3M on the films, they do talk about controlling water along the edges of the film. Might have something to consider.

dj

Jan 4, 2006
they do talk about controlling water along the edges of the film

Water ? On a boat ? Nah :facepalm: !

That was my suspicion. Hence you always see the film applied on the dry interior of the glass.

You're doubling the radiation the window receives which MAY accelerate the aging of the acrylic.
You're back to problem #1 and a good reason to avoid the film.

The one thing I don't have in my grab bag of photos is a picture of the white panels I made for the boat a few years back. Made of Sunbrella. Attaches to the exterior cabin with SS snaps and only takes a few seconds to install or remove each time.

I leave them on the windows over the summer when at the dock to keep UV out and when it's really hot at anchor and no breeze, I'll put them back on. Still fairly bright inside.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Water ? On a boat ? Nah :facepalm: !

That was my suspicion. Hence you always see the film applied on the dry interior of the glass.

You're back to problem #1 and a good reason to avoid the film.

The one thing I don't have in my grab bag of photos is a picture of the white panels I made for the boat a few years back. Made of Sunbrella. Attaches to the exterior cabin with SS snaps and only takes a few seconds to install or remove each time.

I leave them on the windows over the summer when at the dock to keep UV out and when it's really hot at anchor and no breeze, I'll put them back on. Still fairly bright inside.
Well I haven't heard back yet from 3M but the films I'm looking at are applied on the exterior. I would not want one that goes inside, as you aptly point out, it's doubling the UV exposure to the window material.

They do talk about special sealants around the edges for water - might be the main reason marine applications cost more than residential.

dj

p.s. I've seen the sunbrella panels you talk about. If the film doesn't look like it's going to work out, I'd love to see your panels. Might copy them ..

Jan 4, 2006
I'd love to see your panels. Might copy them ..
Will post next time I am out to the boat. Requires a grade four, reform school education to sew and install. Without a doubt, the quickest, easiest and cheapest Sunbrella job I've done on the boat to date.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Will post next time I am out to the boat. Requires a grade four, reform school education to sew and install. Without a doubt, the quickest, easiest and cheapest Sunbrella job I've done on the boat to date.
Whew, I might make it then! Hahahaha. Might be close...

How are you attaching to the boat?

dj

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Are these films in current widespread use in applications like office buildings?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Are these films in current widespread use in applications like office buildings?
Yes very much so. They are also used in high end yachts.

dj

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Is this a growth opportunity, for a stock like 3M (MMM closed at 194.970), given the new attention to greening buildings. Or is this a mature business at this point?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Is this a growth opportunity, for a stock like 3M (MMM closed at 194.970), given the new attention to greening buildings. Or is this a mature business at this point?
I don't know the answer to this question. I do know that the technology is quite mature. I don't know if the business is mature yet. The green building push currently is certainly not hurting it...

dj

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I put some test panels (film on acrylic and polycarbonate hatches) on the roof one year ago. I just went and looked at them--so far, perfect. Longevity is the key question, so I offer no opinion at this time. I also have not removed them, so I don't know about damage, though I do not expect any.

The film is soft, so it will scratch more easily, but it will protect the hatch and is easy to replace. Installation was quite easy.

The films for exterior plastic and interior glass are different.

Jan 4, 2006
I put some test panels (film on acrylic and polycarbonate hatches) on the roof one year ago
Sorry, but this leave more questions than answers.

Are your plastic test panels situated:

1. With the film side towards the sunlight or
2. With the film side away from the sunlight.

Are the film edges exposed to the elements ?

The films for exterior plastic and interior glass are different.
What is interior glass ? I would think all glass windows are exterior.

What is the film for "exterior plastic" and is it mounted on the interior or exterior of the plastic ? Are you saying there is one film for glass and one film for plastic. One film for interior mounting and one for exterior mounting ?

A little more clarity please.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Yup. I'm often too lazy to type a concise explanations for a forum.
  • The films I am testing are applied on the outside of the hatch. As others have pointed out, placing the film on the inside makes little sense with plastic lenses, so I thought that had been established. In fact, all of the films for plastic glazing that I am familiar with are applied on the outside. I don't think you will find one suggested for the inside of plastic glazing.
  • The films used on glass are different from the films used on plastic (inside or outside) because of out-gassing concerns. Glass films for inside are different from glass films for outside.
My early observations, and all I have read, lead me to believe I would use a film on a non-tinted hatch that needed tinting. Whether I would use a film to protect other hatches, I'm not sure; I would probably cover them with cloth or plastic covers if I wanted heavy duty protection (I have done both).

Jan 4, 2006
My early observations, and all I have read, lead me to believe I would use a film on a non-tinted hatch that needed tinting
Much better thanks.

Have you noticed any problems with the edges of the film as I would think this would be their Achilles' Heel. Ever notice the window film in vans ..................... always curling up after a few years and that's ON THE INSIDE.

I have tinted hatchlights and they still let the heat and bleaching UV pour in, and that's here in Canada. Florida is a whole 'nuther world of heat and UV so I think films would be a good recommendation for southern boat hatches regardless of whether tinted or not. I choose to use snap-on covers as they're much cheaper and more effective.

Same applies to hatches which have a southern exposure when at their home marina.