1976 Santana 21ft

Feb 15, 2021
Santana 21 indiana
Ok I have a question. Started sanding under the hull tonight. Getting all the epoxy that held the keel on. I will post pictures. Looking up where the base goes I can see where there are past repairs and they aren’t good. The inside looks way better. The point is the tunnel is barely 3 inches wide. So I can lay fiberglass and epoxy where I grinded away the old epoxy and forget everything else. The only other way would be to cut the inner panel out. Fix it and then fiberglass and epoxy it back together.

Attachments

Feb 15, 2021
Santana 21 indiana
Yep. It appears that is where they cut the fiberglass out to put a new cable on the keel. They fiberglassed it back. I think it is more cosmetic and because I am looking at it I want to repair it.

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
Yep. It appears that is where they cut the fiberglass out to put a new cable on the keel. They fiberglassed it back. I think it is more cosmetic and because I am looking at it I want to repair it.
i completely understand.

Feb 15, 2021
Santana 21 indiana
I have been cleaning, fairing, and sanding as much as I can the last couple of weeks. I should be able to put the primer on it this weekend.

Mar 24, 2021
Santana 21 21 cb Guaymas
About a year ago I received a phone call about a 1970 Santana 21 for "free". Transom had separated from cockpit so it was full of water, didn't drain. I had to replace whole interior as all wood was rotted. When I had finished and all was painted I noticed a crack in fiberglass in centerboard trunk. The clevis of centerboard was cause. In checking the cb I found that it rocked back and forth and when on trailer it pushed the cb clevis into the trunk. I knocked out the severely damaged pin and dropped the keel to find that hole and pin in centerboard trunk are 3/4 inch and hole in centerboard is 1 inch round. I found a pin from a Catalina 22 at Catalina Direct. Pin is 1 inch by 3-3/4 inch so all I have to do now is drill trunk to 1inch.
I am following your work and you've given me some good ideas. Thanks.

Feb 15, 2021
Santana 21 indiana
What primer are you using?
I am using the TotalBoat 2-part Epoxy Primer and Sealer. This stuff is easy to use, easy to mix and strong. I painted 2 coats, then sanded with 80 grit to smooth it out, then painted the 3rd and final coat.

I wanted something strong because it does sit on a trailer most of the time.