Sanitation question

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Just installed my new 1 1/2" Raritan Saniflex hose between the thru hull and the discharge pump. That hose is really easy to work with, even in these temps. The new hose came spiral wrapped in a protective plastic strip and even had a separate plastic strip protecting the labelling lengthwise along the hose. Quality stuff. And it smells like vanilla :tongue:

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Looking at your photos, I just noticed something, Mike: All your hose connections have only one clamp. All sanitation hose connections should have TWO clamps, with screws 180 degrees apart or at least 90 degrees if access make 180 impossible.
And btw...your PHII toilet has been the top rated manual toilet since Raritan introduced it in 1983. Keep it well lubricated, replace the joker valve at least annually and put a rebuild kit in it every 5-6 years (about $60) and it'll provide at least 20 years of reliable trouble free service. So if it's been more than 5 years since you've put a rebuild kit in it, it's overdue.

--Peggie

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I eliminated the overboard discharge system,
My project started with a leaking PVC ell connected to the thru hull that I replaced with a Groco bronze ell. Then the discharge hose was too short so I replaced it with the Saniflex. I don't like systems that don't work, whether I used them or not.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I eliminated the overboard discharge system, and re used the hoses from the vent loop to re plumb the deck pump out,, not many places you can overboard here in the great lakes,,also cleaned the holding tanks,,ready to go May 1st, or so,,no hurry we won't have dock power or services until the 15th,,,,,
There are those who would smite you for that shutoff valve.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Your old Mansfield wouldn't fill up if there were a vented loop in the intake--something that's needed with all manual toilets that are at or below waterline, so will also need to be there when the new Jabsco goes in.

Installation is the same for all manual toilets:
All vented loops need to be at least 6-8" above waterline AT MAX HEEL, not just when the boat is at rest...which on most sailboats puts it 2-3 FEET above the bowl (see attached photo). The intake vented loop should be installed between the pump and the bowl (see the drawing in Figure 1 on page 3 in the Jabsco owners manual Jabsco Manual Twist & Lock owners manual) which will require replacing the short piece of hose that toilet mfrs use to connect the pump to the bowl with 2 pieces of hose long enough to connect to the loop.

This photo shows both a discharge vented loop, only needed if toilet discharges directly overboard, and an intake vented loop (the smaller one tucked in under it).

intake and discharge vented loops.jpg

--Peggie