Survey on C310 #217

Apr 26, 2020
Catalina 310 WPB
Hello All,
I've enjoyed reading this forum for the past couple of months. Finally a C310 came available in south east Florida and have the survey scheduled for next Tuesday! We are upgrading from an '87 C30 TR that we've owned for a year.

Scrolling through the forum I have not found any specific issues that me and the surveyor need to keep an extra eye for, does anyone have any suggestions on anything specific we should be looking for? The hour meter reeds 825 hours but the engine was replaced 25 hours ago (has 5 months of warranty left), and albeit most of the boat looks well maintained this tells me maintenance was scarce if the engine was replaced with such low hours. Looking forward to hopefully becoming an active member in this community.

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
When I purchased my 2001 back in 2014 there were only a few items of concern, none of which were major:
  • Starboard chainplate had minor moisture damage indicating a leak...I pulled and re-sealed with butyl tape a couple of years later (I should have done it sooner, the job was easier than I thought and I posted about it on this forum)
  • The VHF RAM mic on the pedestal didn't work...the entire VHF was original and I ended up replacing the entire system (including the remote mic) with a built-in GPS/AIS (receive) unit (I posted about this, too, on this forum).
  • Engine heat exchanger heads showed signs of leakage...I replaced all seals / o-rings...that took care of it.
  • Engine coolant system had two minor leaks...I tightened up hose clamps and that took care of it.
Since I've owned Jacqueline, I've had to replace the fresh water pump and some hoses, and I currently have a split hose somewhere on the fridge/shower sump system I'll need to find and replace (not getting any suction). That may be something to double-check.

Other stuff I've done was either due to my error, something I just wanted to replace, or was just regular maintenance. For example, I had to replace the vent hose from the holding tank (had gotten clogged from an overly-full holding tank...not a fun job) and the manual pump assembly on the head (was old, couldn't read the label anymore, and plastic had yellowed and just didn't look nice). I paid someone to run the RAM mic because that job was beyond me (and had him put a USB charger port into the navpod at the same time), although I installed the fixed-mount VHF at the Nav station myself. I also replaced the stuffing box material as I'd started to get significant shaft leakage (again, I posted about this job on this forum).

I think that is it. The last thing you may want to check is that the original propane tanks for the C310s are now pretty old. Reputable places won't fill them once they get past the date stamped on them, and I've seen posts about folks having some difficulty in finding replacements that fit and/or getting tanks re-certified.

Hope this helps!!

Apr 26, 2020
Catalina 310 WPB
First thing I would ask is why was the engine replaced?
I did, the broker told me that it was having overheating problems... weird because overheating is unlikely to be caused by the engine, unless the raw water pump or coolant pump failing, correct?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Replaced with what engine/what size engine, new or rebuilt engine? Pay close attention to how well it was installed and aligned.

Dec 16, 2011
I did, the broker told me that it was having overheating problems... weird because overheating is unlikely to be caused by the engine, unless the raw water pump or coolant pump failing, correct?
Overheating could be caused by an obstruction in the heat exchanger or a problem with the impeller/water pump...but neither would require a complete engine replacement. Not sure what cause of overheating would require a complete replacement, but I am NOT an engine expert by any stretch. Waiting for others to weigh in...

Dec 16, 2011
It might help if you posted the link to the listing for the boat so folks can look over the pictures...

Apr 26, 2020
Catalina 310 WPB
When I purchased my 2001 back in 2014 there were only a few items of concern, none of which were major:
  • Starboard chainplate had minor moisture damage indicating a leak...I pulled and re-sealed with butyl tape a couple of years later (I should have done it sooner, the job was easier than I thought and I posted about it on this forum)
  • The VHF RAM mic on the pedestal didn't work...the entire VHF was original and I ended up replacing the entire system (including the remote mic) with a built-in GPS/AIS (receive) unit (I posted about this, too, on this forum).
  • Engine heat exchanger heads showed signs of leakage...I replaced all seals / o-rings...that took care of it.
  • Engine coolant system had two minor leaks...I tightened up hose clamps and that took care of it.
Since I've owned Jacqueline, I've had to replace the fresh water pump and some hoses, and I currently have a split hose somewhere on the fridge/shower sump system I'll need to find and replace (not getting any suction). That may be something to double-check.

Other stuff I've done was either due to my error, something I just wanted to replace, or was just regular maintenance. For example, I had to replace the vent hose from the holding tank (had gotten clogged from an overly-full holding tank...not a fun job) and the manual pump assembly on the head (was old, couldn't read the label anymore, and plastic had yellowed and just didn't look nice). I paid someone to run the RAM mic because that job was beyond me (and had him put a USB charger port into the navpod at the same time), although I installed the fixed-mount VHF at the Nav station myself. I also replaced the stuffing box material as I'd started to get significant shaft leakage (again, I posted about this job on this forum).

I think that is it. The last thing you may want to check is that the original propane tanks for the C310s are now pretty old. Reputable places won't fill them once they get past the date stamped on them, and I've seen posts about folks having some difficulty in finding replacements that fit and/or getting tanks re-certified.

Hope this helps!!
I've actually read most of your post with regards the issues you mentioned, and thank you for all your posts!
-Everything looks dry from underneath, the moisture reading from the surveyor will give us a better idea next week if there is an issue with leaks from the deck.
- The electronics seem to be newish, and the autohelm is not on the helm but seems to have an actuator below? We'll make sure all electrical systems work.
- This is something that will have to be looked at, for some reason there is some water underneath the engine and consequently in the bilge. I didn't see the stuffing box drip while sitting idle at the dock, I'll have to check closer for 2/3 drops a minute

The only thing that does not work is the fridge, and that is not a big issue to us as we are on a mooring not at a slip.

Also I saw some vertical cracks on the gel coat on the bottom of the stern, I've attached a picture for example of where these are. I assume PO back up a little too fast into a slip perhaps? Hope this turns out to not be an issue since I've looked for any humidity inside but visibility is not great...

Thank you for your input!

Attachments

Apr 26, 2020
Catalina 310 WPB
Replaced with what engine/what size engine, new or rebuilt engine? Pay close attention to how well it was installed and aligned.
Picture of the engine that went in attached on the listing :Catalina 310 sailboat for sale in Stuart, FL for $41,000 | 231006 (popyachts.com) it looks like a rebuilt D950 engine eventually marinized, perhaps it will be the equivalent of M25xp not M25xpb. If that is the case it will have a couple of HP less, but assume is not a big issue. I do know it was purchased from: Kubota Diesel Engines | In Stock New or Remanufactured Diesel Engines (countrysalesandservice.com)

I'll make sure to check alignment, I assume I would see excess vibration of the shaft if it wasn't?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Picture of the engine that went in attached on the listing :Catalina 310 sailboat for sale in Stuart, FL for $41,000 | 231006 (popyachts.com) it looks like a rebuilt D950 engine eventually marinized, perhaps it will be the equivalent of M25xp not M25xpb. If that is the case it will have a couple of HP less, but assume is not a big issue. I do know it was purchased from: Kubota Diesel Engines | In Stock New or Remanufactured Diesel Engines (countrysalesandservice.com)

I'll make sure to check alignment, I assume I would see excess vibration of the shaft if it wasn't?
That would be a big warning signal to me.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
The engine replacement seems pretty fishy, but if it is new and inspection shows no issues I wouldn't get too worked up. It is surprising to me they had 5 months of warranty on a 2003 since you are older then my 2003 hull 221. Overall we are very happy with our boat and until Dec had straight monthly use since June 2019. I've done mostly basic stuff and nothing major has needed attention. My boat is 100% freshwater and I paid $50k in 2019, your price seems good, the other C310 in my marine paid a similar price to yours for his a few months before mine for a 310 in NY that was saltwater. His boat he has had a bit more corrosion issues and corrections then I have. I believe he has had to fix the AC, fridge, some of the pumps and did replace all his standing rigging this year. He had newer and nicer sails, mine are original and I paid for SailCare this year to get me a few more years out of them since we are just day sailing around Lake Guntersville.

I really liked this site to help with inspections:
Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection (pcmarinesurveys.com)

Feb 2, 2013
Beneteau 351 Bluewater Bay
I have a CAT 310 #282 in Bristol condition going on the market. Just bought a power boat after sailing my whole life. Contact me if your sale falls thru. Boat has several upgrades.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
It is surprising to me they had 5 months of warranty on a 2003 since you are older then my 2003 hull 221.
I read that as the replacement engine has 5 months warranty left on it not the boat itself.

Apr 26, 2020
Catalina 310 WPB
The engine replacement seems pretty fishy, but if it is new and inspection shows no issues I wouldn't get too worked up. It is surprising to me they had 5 months of warranty on a 2003 since you are older then my 2003 hull 221. Overall we are very happy with our boat and until Dec had straight monthly use since June 2019. I've done mostly basic stuff and nothing major has needed attention. My boat is 100% freshwater and I paid $50k in 2019, your price seems good, the other C310 in my marine paid a similar price to yours for his a few months before mine for a 310 in NY that was saltwater. His boat he has had a bit more corrosion issues and corrections then I have. I believe he has had to fix the AC, fridge, some of the pumps and did replace all his standing rigging this year. He had newer and nicer sails, mine are original and I paid for SailCare this year to get me a few more years out of them since we are just day sailing around Lake Guntersville.

I really liked this site to help with inspections:
Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection (pcmarinesurveys.com)
I read all 24 pages of your post! How you’ve had more time to enjoy and less time in fixing things is what I hope of having soon. From all the receipt he had over the past year A LOT of a things small and big have been replaced and the boat bottom was painted as well!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
@Grichelli we have been very fortunate to have a good clean well cared for 310 for sure. I'm glad I did get her because I was very close to just buying a new Jeanneau 440 with the cash I had as just a down payment and payments. The 310 has been a perfect "big boat" transition from our O'Day 25 and I'm not losing any sleep when less then perfect docking puts a scuff here and there. I'm far from salty in experience but she has all the stuff on our future retirement boat to learn on.

Truth be told I could be very happy with her for retirement but the admiral wants a 440. So can't fight that and if plans work out I think we will be good to achieve the plan. Life is short so enjoy it!

Ok boat context. One big improvement in my boat was the new charger, 4 golf cart batteries and smart plug electrical upgrade. If she has the original charger I'd count on that needing replacement and moved to a better location in the cabin.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
As with ANY purchase, Boat or Otherwise, be aware that the cost of owning is sometimes secondary to maintaining, A friend told me along time ago you can buy a boat to work on or you can buy a boat to sail.
We bought ours in 2013 from freshwater and moved her to Freshwater (Lake Erie) and have upgraded her and Loved sailing her. We had a survey done-$600.00- money well spent- so we knew exactly what we were buying!
A survey is proprietary so you own it and the surveyor works for you!
The 310 is, in our opinion a GREAT boat she is offshore rated and sails well.
Lots of boats need TLC and making it yours does happen over time. I noticed the reason for sale was that he did not use her and to me that is obvious,. You are buying a boat to work on, if the engine, survey, etc. come out to meet your approval and you know what you are going into and are happy with that, Make a LOW offer and enjoy the boat, boats need sailed not to be dock queens.
Let us know how you make out, this is a great group and they will help!