Outboard wedge

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could measure how far out the top and bottom of their outboard wedge sticks out? Trying to figure out the correct angle. It's a bit difficult to determine when I'm unsure if any surface of the boat is actually level

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
My dumb question: Can you not hang a plumb bob off the transom and get a fair idea? Your outboard also should have a lot of tilt adjustment so it does not need to be exact. I'd take a measurement off my 20, but doubt that would help.

Oct 8, 2016
O'DAY 22 East End Yacht Club
I have one of these on my O'Day 22 with an 8hp Honda 4 stroke that works real well and was able to adjust to the transom angle. Another thought is to compare it to the Boot Stripe or waterline on your hull and use that as a level line then fine tune it with the adjustment that is on your engine.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
My boat came with an inboard from the factory so the wedge nor mount was there prior to my ownership. The boat is sitting on its' trailer. The reason a plumb bob may not work is that I don't know which surfaces of the boat, if any, are level when the boat is in the water. This is required to level the boat out as if it was in the water.

Waterlines are not level when in the water thank's to a PO. Otherwise that would be an excellent suggestion

Both outboard and bracket have been adjusted for the best angle but it's far from perfect. It has a huge impact on the outboard's performance since it's so close to the surface

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
So the boat is out of the water and you would like to have it sitting like it’s in the water? Measure down from the dirty water line at the bow and make it equal to the dirty water mark in the stern.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
So the boat is out of the water and you would like to have it sitting like it’s in the water? Measure down from the dirty water line at the bow and make it equal to the dirty water mark in the stern.
That's a fantastic idea! Who woulda thought that not power washing at haul out would have an advantage? Thank you!

Oct 8, 2016
O'DAY 22 East End Yacht Club
"Both outboard and bracket have been adjusted for the best angle but it's far from perfect. It has a huge impact on the outboard's performance since it's so close to the surface "
I'm not sure that I'm interpreting this statement the way you meant it but are you saying the motor / Prop are high in relation to the waters surface? The anti ventilation plate needs to reside sufficiently below the water line. If it's not when things get to rockin' and bobbing you risk having your prop not being submerged enough and probably lose cooling to the motor as well if only briefly. If that's not what you meant please excuse the unnecessary additional comments. :)

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The outboard is tilted due to the angle of the transom. I've adjusted the bracket and outboard to try to make up the difference but it's too great of an angle

iron23

Oct 4, 2020
O'day oday 25 centerboard Kentucky lake
i just got to measure my wedge . it is on starboard side. upper starboard is 5-3/4", upper port side is 3-1/2", lower starboard side is 3" and lower port side is 5/8 " . the wedge is 12 " tall and 11-1/4 wide. mine was rotting so i used it as a pattern. the side that fits against the transom is not flat but curves to match boat transom which takes the most time to sand out a little at a time to get the right fit. hope this might be of some help. induvial results will vary . happy sailing

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
i just got to measure my wedge . it is on starboard side. upper starboard is 5-3/4", upper port side is 3-1/2", lower starboard side is 3" and lower port side is 5/8 " . the wedge is 12 " tall and 11-1/4 wide. mine was rotting so i used it as a pattern. the side that fits against the transom is not flat but curves to match boat transom which takes the most time to sand out a little at a time to get the right fit. hope this might be of some help. induvial results will vary . happy sailing
Thank you very much for the dimensions! I'm going to cut out a wooden wedge to put between the metal mount and the wood that the motor clamps to. Welcome to the forums!

Jun 30, 2013
Oday 23 Grand Lake
...on my 1980 23-2, if you look at the block from the side at the stern, the top of the mounting block is a 20 degree angle approx 4" wide tapering down at a 70 degree angle with total flat side of the block being approx 10" in length

Attachments