2020 Pandemic Panacea Passage - SUCKER-PUNCHED

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good Morning SBO Members.
Quietly, our friend @dLj has searched the world of sailboats for the perfect craft to take him to faraway places in retirement. This means when he finds this unicorn, he will have to release his summer fun boat which brought him pleasure exploring the waters of Lake Champlain.

For a sailor who has found a wonderful boat that has brought many seasons sailing joy too him and his family, it feels almost like cheating to look at another boat. So you do it in hushed ways, late in the evening in far away places that will not let your current boat know what you are doing.

But then it happens. You find the new boat and the excitement starts. You share the idea yet swear the secret must be kept secret, because the deal may or may not happen. This proceeds to the agreement. OH Boy! This may just happen. What does it mean?

For Dave it meant calling some friends to see if anyone would consider joining him in the Florida Keys and jump on an unseen boat. Sail the boat up the Atlantic Coast in December to the Chesapeake Bay.

I got a call asking that very question. I paused for about 90 seconds thinking about such an exciting adventure, and not wanting to let the excitement within burst out too quickly. HELL YES!!!... Now I just need to figure out how I am going to tell my wife "Honey. I think I am going to go sailing for the first 3 weeks of December."

That is the brief outline that gets us to today, 27 November 2020.

I am 85% packed for my plane ride on Sunday morning. I've been Covid tested (clear results says the doctor) and self quarantined for the past 10 days. Mask and hand sanitizer ready. Clothing packed for the 75-80 degree sunshine in the Keys and the possibility of 38-40 degree weather off the Virginia/Carolina's coast. Flip flops and foul weather gear stuffed in the bag.

We will be submitting our story of this adventure to your scrutiny.
  1. Are we absolutely insane?
  2. Is this a rational way to self isolate?
  3. Are we just irrational rebels no longer able to contain our desire to sail?
Florida Keys here we come.

next up ...The Survey: 30 November 2020

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
this is great news. i've sailed the n. atlantic in december. it was a hoot. left rhode island on dec. 1st headed to antigua with a stop in bermuda.
mostly gails, steady 45ish winds for the first half. then after our stop for 5 days, it was 35ish wind going south. all over the shoulder.
it was a great run.
it will be epic, john:clap:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
this is great news. i've sailed the n. atlantic in december. it was a hoot. left rhode island on dec. 1st headed to antigua with a stop in bermuda.
mostly gails, steady 45ish winds for the first half. then after our stop for 5 days, it was 35ish wind going south. all over the shoulder.
it was a great run.
it will be epic, john:clap:
Yeah, but we're going the wrong way... We're going South to North, not North to South... this would be a better off-shore trip in April/May, but I'll have 90 days to get out of Florida... So... North we go!

Thanks @jssailem for posting, although I'm still not through the survey so... We'll see how this beauty checks out!

dj

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I got a call in February a few years ago from a friend who needed help to move a boat from Isla Mujeres to Guatemala. I hung up the phone and told the Admiral I was flying to Mexico and why. She fires up her computer to figure out how to get to Rio Dulce, Guatemala to meet me when I get there.

The first thing I did when I got to Mexico was take a picture of my bare feet and send it to my friends back in the frozen North. Cuz I can be a butt. :biggrin:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Question 1: What did you buy?

Question 2: Are you crazy? Florida is rampant with the virus along with the states. you'll pass through on the way north. You will stop, you will go to marinas, you will need to go to restaurants, you will expose yourself to many people who are asymptomatic carriers of the virus. Neither of you are spring chickens free of any underlying conditions. And when you get to the Chesapeake, it will still be too cold to sail.

My suggestion, pay for storage for the winter. Set sail in the spring after receiving the vaccine.

This is not a trip to die for.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Question 1: What did you buy?
Haven't bought it yet. But looking at a Brewer 12.8.

Question 2: Are you crazy? Florida is rampant with the virus along with the states. you'll pass through on the way north. You will stop, you will go to marinas, you will need to go to restaurants, you will expose yourself to many people who are asymptomatic carriers of the virus. Neither of you are spring chickens free of any underlying conditions. And when you get to the Chesapeake, it will still be too cold to sail.
Are we crazy? Well that's a whole other level of question... ;)
Now, as to the pandemic problem, indeed there is very much that to content with. Both John and I are using a face mask that is similar or superior to what health care workers use in the care of Covid patients. It protects both wearer and those around you, not just those around you as is the case for most "normal" masks being used. I'm planning to spend more time on the hook that in marinas, but I'm sure we will be in some marinas at times. We will also go to some restaurants, but the kitchen on the boat is going to be fully used! So I'm not sure yet just how much we'll use restaurants yet, we'll play that one by ear.

Too cold to sail in the Chesapeake? Likely cold, but the Chesapeake does not freeze, at least to my knowledge, so I'm not sure I'm following that one. I have set up contingencies for that likelihood. The boat is a center cockpit with Bimini and dodger. I'm bringing with me materials to make a temporary enclosure along with a portable heater so that if the weather gets rather below comfort, we can improve that. Indeed, no matter, there may well be a couple days of less than ideal sailing conditions. That being said, do bear in mind my plans with this boat down the road is to sail northern latitudes... So cold weather sailing is being planned.

My suggestion, pay for storage for the winter. Set sail in the spring after receiving the vaccine.
I've considered storing the boat in Georgia or perhaps a bit further north. It's not off the table at this point, but I'd much rather have the boat close enough to me in NY to work on the boat this coming winter.
This is not a trip to die for.
I do appreciate the sentiment. I think we've got it covered.

dj

Oct 22, 2014
Are you scared.?
Scared: afraid, aghast, alarmed, fearful, frightened, horrified, horror-struck, hysterical (also hysteric), scary, shocked, spooked, terrified, terrorized

Attempting to evaluate the question. Looking at the synonyms.
No.

I do not feel scared.

We have spent the last couple of months evaluating the adventure. We are applying reasonable risk factors to the activities we expect to confront. We have set some reasonable expectations regarding the trip. We have held discussions about the trip options and reached a consensus about how we will approach with honesty each critical decision.

Ultimately this is Dave's boat to get from Florida north. I have committed to 3 weeks of assistance. We will examine the weather and enlist help in understanding the conditions. For a sail boat or for any boat weather is the big question. Do we leave the anchorage/dock, untie the lines today and venture out on the water?

I am good with the discussion and planning we have completed. There are some things that we will decide in route.

This thread will not be perfect, but we will strive to give you an honest look into the issues we face and the decisions/rational we use to accomplish our objective.

So thank you for your support. We hope you can enjoy our adventure and look forward to your observations and comments.

Both Dave and I expect to accomplish this adventure safely and return home to our families.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Not crazy. I'll admit to being just a little bit jealous...I love me some adventure. And sunshine in the winter time.

We're seriously considering heading from PL down to Olympia for Christmas. And back of course. That will have to suffice.

Oct 22, 2014
We're seriously considering heading from PL down to Olympia for Christmas.
That is a great idea. The South Sound is a great place to explore. Lots of good bays and inlets to anchor. The Tacoma and Olympia Marinas are excellent spots. Beside to set some Christmas lights on the life lines.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I've never come up the ICW, the most probable route at this time of year. There are some mandatory off-shore legs given the limitations of the ICW. But not a lot. It would be my preference to run the whole route off-shore but the probability of a decent weather window for the direction we are going appears small. I'm certainly no expert in this trip. Any and all input is most welcome.

My brother has come up the ICW a number of years ago, he will join likely after John heads back home, unless we do an off-shore run in which case he will come for the entire trip from Marathon to the Chesapeake. But only time and weather will tell how it plays out.

I am very much looking forward to the trip! I mean, we were supposed to do the Vancouver 360 this year ... One of my biggest disappointments of 2020 due to covid... Gotta get something back ..

dj

Oct 22, 2014
we were supposed to do the Vancouver 360 this year ... One of my biggest disappointments of 2020 due to covid.
Mine as well. This will be a great substitute for what we missed in the summer of 2020. Consider it...the Pandemic Panacea....:laugh:

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Speaking of which, John, what's the potential for another try at Vancouver Island this summer? Yes, COVID-19 is not behind us. But the vaccines give me hope that the border will reopen.

Oct 22, 2014
I am just waiting for the border to open and the weather. I would say there is a good chance if the stars align. Not sure about a date. Last year the tides and the planets were aligned for an end of June rounding of the North end. I'll be looking at the charts in February of 2021 to identify a date.
Let's all get vaccinated. And do you think you guys north of the 49th can have a talk with the Prime Minister?