2020 Pandemic Panacea Passage - SUCKER-PUNCHED

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I'm sitting in the cell phone lot at the airport waiting for John's plane to land. I'm kinda laughing at his description of packing. I did not have the airline two bag constraint as I'm driving. I packed my car and thought, that's strange, I couldn't fit anyone else in this car... I'm to meet my brother at the marina on the Chesapeake. Oh well, no big deal, I'm sure I simply just threw stuff in, it will compress down once I get there and pack it right into my brother's car.

Well, ah, right, forgot my brother has things packed also. And his car is actually smaller than mine. Dang, .major decisions, OK what are the most critical things to bring. Crap I wish we were in a truck... Oh well... Pack her up. My brother is simply shaking his head and says he's going for a walk to let him know when I'm done... Bad move....

That was yesterday. We stop in North Carolina for the night. Getting our stuff out for the night I do finally come to realize, oh yeah, and we have to pick up John, with two of his well packed bags! But seriously, one more human and two bags are not fitting in this car...

Coming into Florida I figure it's high time to seriously address this issue. So as my brother is driving I start looking, find a great solution at a u-haul store, a roof top waterproof bag that holds 4 suitcases! Eureka! We are now sitting at the airport waiting on John's plane to land and I figured I'd check in here.

Boat has arrived to Marathon, survey starts tomorrow morning around 7am...

dj

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My comfortable and medically PPE healthy mask was rejected by Alaska staff and replaced by the thin paper variety.
Ah the world of conformity.
Did your PPE have a valve in it? When flying recently to Puerto Rico, we were required to have N95s without the exhale valve. No paper masks. The valve allows free exhale so the user is protected, but the rest of the world is not.

Puerto Rico is taking the pandemic very seriously. For an island country about the size and density of Connecticut, their numbers are really low. Better, per capita and new cases daily than NH. Everyone wears masks, they take your temperature in every business you enter and spray your hands with sanitizer. Even the roadside smoked rib and chicken stand at the end of our road does that. Its all outdoors, yet they erected a large plexiglass barrier and a tiny service window through which to serve. The police patrol the beaches and break up any raft-ups. Excersise only, no coolers and picnics allowed.

The Boston Airport was nearly empty and it was easy enough to wear our masks for the entire flight to San Juan. No trouble forgoing the in flight snack and drink. Carry a bottle of hand-sani and don't touch your face. Wash and sanitize everytime you touch a door handle or get your cc back from a vendor.

There are still more chinks in the armor then when you stay home, but not much different than going shopping at the local grocery store.

Florida, Miami especially, is concerning. It does seem to be getting worse there. Healthcare workers manage to be doing well, despite being at the center of things. Good masks and conscientious sanitary practices are what make the difference for them. My wife, as a nurse, is making sure we all stay safe.

I took the test before coming down here. I've been symptom free for the two weeks I've been here. I'll take another test as soon as I get home on the 5th and my plan is to fly back out on the eighth and join Dave and John.

I've sailed with with Dave before and I'm excited to finally meet John, my oldest SBO friend. If Miami would just get a clue and wear masks for a couple of weeks.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Not crazy. I'll admit to being just a little bit jealous...I love me some adventure. And sunshine in the winter time.

We're seriously considering heading from PL down to Olympia for Christmas. And back of course. That will have to suffice.
That can be a great trip. We've gone there from Everett quite a few times and it doesn't disappoint. Just be sure to follow the markers into Budd Inlet. Once in Olympia, we've stayed at both Swantown and Percival Landing. I prefer Percival, the Admiral likes Swantown, but you must decide and pick which fork to follow in the dredged channel.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Boat did not pass the survey. We are out drowning our sorrows. There is great sadness here.

The quest continues.

dj

• Wow
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Well darn-it. Not-fixable survey results I assume then. I suggest a good dram or two of somethng like W.L Weller if you can get it. Almost as good as Pappy Van Winkle (same distiller) and about 1/20th the price.

Somewhere out there is your "new to you" boat. Its just a matter of weeding out the grain from the chaff.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Well darn-it. Not-fixable survey results I assume then. I suggest a good dram or two of somethng like W.L Weller if you can get it. Almost as good as Pappy Van Winkle (same distiller) and about 1/20th the price.

Somewhere out there is your "new to you" boat. Its just a matter of weeding out the grain from the chaff.
I imagine everyone has a different standard as to what one will consider fixable, per se. As a friend of mine has said, you can fix anything if you throw enough buckets if money at it.

My concern is not that, but rather time. I don't have the luxury of having buckets of time. I want to be sailing in early summer of 2022. That's less than 2 years away. If I have projects that require fixing on a boat, I need to have them that will not take much time. If I had 5 years instead, this boat could have worked, but not with my current time constraints.

dj

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
My concern is not that, but rather time. I don't have the luxury of having buckets of time. I want to be sailing in early summer of 2022. That's less than 2 years away. If I had 5 years instead, this boat could have worked, but not with my current time constraints.

dj
I assume that the 2 years of needed fixing instead of 5, had it been so, would still not be with respect to the boat’s seaworthiness :huh: for the planned trip. Maybe there is a silver lining here. But sorry to hear it did not work out. I’ve made two trips to the PNW from Long Beach to look at potential boat buys. Neither panned out:confused:. The on-line photos look much better than the actual boat, etc. One discovers little that is critical talking on the phone to a broker from more than 1,000 miles away, IMHO.

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I assume that the 2 years of needed fixing instead of 5, had it been so, would still not be with respect to the boat’s seaworthiness :huh: for the planned trip.
I'm not sure I'm understanding the above.

The time would be related to making the repairs needed to achieve the seaworthiness I desire. Also, the future market value, as I consider all investments in a boat must also have the eye to one day go back onto the market to be sold, either by myself, or my heirs.

Maybe there is a silver lining here. But sorry to hear it did not work out. I’ve made two trips to the PNW from Long Beach to look at potential boat buys. Neither panned out:confused:. The on-line photos look much better than the actual boat, etc. One discovers little that is critical talking on the phone to a broker from more than 1,000 miles away.
This is in interesting comment.

When I first started looking, I was looking all over the world, French Polynesia, Europe, you name it, I was looking. I found some boats far, far away and thought about going to look at them. One particular boat in French Polynesia was really interesting. But then I began looking at all the logistics of going there to look at it, and then, if I bought it, getting it home. Yeah, totally out of reason... Then I narrowed down my search to just North America. Found several boats on the West Coast, one in particular owned by a friend of mine (luckily) and I was looking at how to buy that boat and get it home. I didn't even have to go look at that boat, I'd sailed it, I knew just about everything about that boat. I was talking to my friend (the owner) and she told me I couldn't do it, the economics just didn't make sense. She was right. That didn't become a realization (why didn't I listen to her in the first place?) until after me spending countless hours researching every possible way to get it here... So then I reduced my search range to only the East coast. Heck, here I could just sail it home.

And now, I see what you are referring to above - the on-line photos, the conversations, the research, all of that - what's missing? My eyes (and those of an excellent surveyor - right? everyone here says it - get a good surveyor - I concur) and the things you can't see or photograph.

Lessons learned? Plenty. I'm sure each individual will have their own limitations, abilities etc. But for me - I'm reducing my search radius to within about a 6 hour drive from my house. I need to put my eyes on a boat before anything else transpires. It is simply economics. The costs associated with looking far away are notable - those costs must be considered. If you think about it, you have an amount of money (this will vary according to each individual of course). Every time you travel, every time you look at a boat, it's costing you money. That money is coming out of the budget for buying your boat. This aspect must be put into the equation of what your overall boat is really going to cost you. Of course, the 6 hour drive time is my choice. If someone were to live where the available boats are just not going to provide an ample selection, then one would have to adjust. For me that includes essentially a region from the Great lakes to Maine down to Annapolis and once the borders are open, parts of Canada.

That's pretty ripe boat country. I'm lucky. Perhaps that's the silver lining you refer to...

dj

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
So sorry it didn't work out. You'll find your boat. Florida still beats trudging around the frozen tundra.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We planned we traveled, we met.
We sipped adult beverages.
We saw country.
We looked out across the vast expanse of water.
We laughed.
Both excitement and disappointment.

Pretty much sums up this adventure. Shorter than I anticipated.
Still thinking about how I got here.

Perhaps this is just a 2020 expectation.

I’m not ready to accept it as the “new norm”.