2020 Pandemic Panacea Passage - SUCKER-PUNCHED

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
DJ, what's the draft on the new boat?
I'm, forgot to add - air draft I'm not 100% sure yet. Mostly I see numbers like around 63 feet, but I'm going to measure it during the survey. The Whitbey/Brewer forum folks tell me they varied, best to simply measure. It is a concern John and I have talked about.

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
@jssailem and I have been discussing this trip with @dLj , behind the scenes, so to speak.

Remember the...

Weather and Forecasting

will have your backs.

Perhaps we can use Windy.com to track your progress and post in that forum.

Remember just planning is great fun...
Jim...
Well I hope @jssailem knows how to do that. I don't but would love to learn.

I'm very glad to hear this by the way. Having our backs with a support group such as this is fantastic!

dj

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I've never come up the ICW, the most probable route at this time of year. There are some mandatory off-shore legs given the limitations of the ICW. But not a lot. It would be my preference to run the whole route off-shore but the probability of a decent weather window for the direction we are going appears small. I'm certainly no expert in this trip. Any and all input is most welcome.

My brother has come up the ICW a number of years ago, he will join likely after John heads back home, unless we do an off-shore run in which case he will come for the entire trip from Marathon to the Chesapeake. But only time and weather will tell how it plays out.

I am very much looking forward to the trip! I mean, we were supposed to do the Vancouver 360 this year ... One of my biggest disappointments of 2020 due to covid... Gotta get something back ..

dj
My experience with a couple trips up and down the ICW from Vermont on our own boat (a former 28') is, you have it right, the ICW is your most probable route.

One trip we were on the heels of Hugo and had to go around a few downed bridges. We did get a few good sails on the Southern trip but those were in the spring on prevailing Southerlies at that time. Still, the vast majority of our miles were under power but you could get lucky.

So my fear, especially with a new boat, would be mechanical problems. But you already know that, and would act accordingly with spare parts, tools and backup plans.

I have a friend that owned a Brewer 12.8 when we were all raising our kids. His boat was always the crash pad for everybody at raft up! His had a Ford Lehman and the access was fantastic in a separate engine room. It is a perfect boat for your trip and the season plus it has plenty of Covid space for two careful crew.

The Brewer is the boat on the right (sorry I couldn't find a better pic).

Raft up.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Tom that looks like a pretty good way to keep children hanging about on a boat during a raft up.

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 47 NC
There have been lots of boats on the ICW this year. Weather has been beautiful. Use Aqua-Map with the COE overlays. See “Bob423”. Keep us posted if you make the trip.

Oct 22, 2014
Departure day.
Bags are packed and if I have forgotten something it is too late. How do you prepare for the conditions, and attempt to do it in minimal space.

I decided to get in the mood by watching a couple of sailing videos.
  • The 2008 Global Challenge and
  • the 1979 Fastnet race.
I prioritized the gear that would be needed for the passage.
  1. PFD
  2. Foul Weather gear, boots, water resistant socks
  3. PLB Personal locater beacon
  4. regular boat shoes and closed toe sandals
  5. small tool kit
  6. Personal VHF
  7. sleeping bag
Damn all that stuff is bulky. I’m going to need a second bag.

All that and I’ll need some clothes for the 3 week trip under summer and winter conditions. There was a time that folks traveled with a steamer trunk. I was reminded of the movie Joe and the Volcano.

Pack, re-pack. eliminate. Add an item. I took about 3 days and got what I hope I will use in the 2 bags. They weigh in at 38 and 29 lbs respectively. So the airlines should be happy with me.

Well I am off into the fog heading to the airport.
Next stop Florida. Sunshine and tropical breezes.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
On his way to Portland, OR now.
ETA in hotel room in Florida about Midnight in Florida.

Mask mandate for 5.25 hour flight, Alaskan Airlines. Drop mask for eating and drinks.:facepalm:

The real bad news...

No change in clothing under his foul weather gear.:yikes:
_____
John and I did our morning coffee together via iPhone Messages.
He is taking is Apple laptop too.:clap:

A message to me this morning...

"Packing was a bit of angst. First priority was to get the needed gear in the bags. Non of the gear compresses well. PDF, tethers,foul weather gear. Sleeping bag, boots, shoes. Then fit a light tool bag. Finally some clothes for winter or summer."

And yes it was PDF in his message too!:laugh:

We have learned typonese, like Non=None

Another message from John...
"I got a 2 bag limit free from Alaska[SIC=airlines]. the bags come in at 38lbs and 29lbs."
Not too bad of a packer.

The Adventure begins...
Jim...

PS: He was wearing a sweater this morning. I suggested a light jacket since FL temps will be 77° when he lands.
Only 15 minutes of time out in OR weather today. Masks versus Sweater. :pimp:

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Getting to the airport was a breeze.
But ugly.

8BE0F9E8-A67C-4B2B-AC1C-B9C58AD56B1C.jpeg

No traffic on Sunday. No lines at TSA. The jetways are nearly empty. My comfortable and medically PPE healthy mask was rejected by Alaska staff and replaced by the thin paper variety.
Ah the world of conformity.

Plane boards in 20 minutes.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I am sooooooo envious of this adventure. Fair winds, gents. And looking forward to all the updates. Has the vessel passed survey?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
You guys have a great trip and post lots of photos. I’ll give Justin a call and see if I can’t get the border opened for next summer but not to hold your breath if we don’t get things under a little better control.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I thought you guys closed the border until Trump left office. No? My mistake :biggrin:

You guys have a great trip and post lots of photos. I’ll give Justin a call and see if I can’t get the border opened for next summer but not to hold your breath if we don’t get things under a little better control.