Wednesday is Cruising Photo Day - 2020!

Jan 27, 2016
Ranger 29 Bayside, Maine
Could it have slammed down hard onto something from off a wave top? I can’t imagine how a pot buoy could do that. It looks to me like it was dropped, or maybe crushed between a boat and a dock.
The break in the floor happened afterward when it was hauled onto a float with to much water in it. All I know is that when I left Duck Harbor I had an intact dinghy, I used it that morning. I didn't hit anything and I wasn't at any docks. There weren't any noticeable crack prior to getting underway. It is weird, and yes perhaps the waves were involved because even at the speeds I was going the dinghy sometimes got thrown down a wave. But for the most part it was tracking OK. All I know is I got onto a mooring at Bucks Harbor and went to pull the dinghy in, and that's when I noticed how bad it was. Now that we were not moving it filled to the seat level with water.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
The floor break and the hauling effort when that happened then may have weakened the sides of the dinghy at that time. Bouncing around since then could have continued to flex the weakened spots, making them more apparent after a long, rough ride. Were lobster pots hitting the mothership hull as hard as you think they were hitting the dinghy? Probably not. What makes you think that lobster pots would hit the dinghy harder than the mothership?

Jan 27, 2016
Ranger 29 Bayside, Maine
The floor break and the hauling effort when that happened then may have weakened the sides of the dinghy at that time. Bouncing around since then could have continued to flex the weakened spots, making them more apparent after a long, rough ride. Were lobster pots hitting the mothership hull as hard as you think they were hitting the dinghy? Probably not. What makes you think that lobster pots would hit the dinghy harder than the mothership?
The floor break happened the next day. The floor was intact when I arrived at Bucks Harbor. The hull cracks happened during the ride somehow. I was dodging the pots with the big boat, so no real collisions with pots, the big boat pushes them out of the way with its own wake anyway if you just come close. The dinghy does not create enough wake to push them out of the way. All I know is I had an intact dinghy in the morning and it was swamped when I arrived at the next mooring. I tried pumping it out from the larger boat and could see the water coming through the two cracks as I pumped it out. So they happened during the trip. They are definitely impact cracks, so draw your own conclusions. If it wasn't the pots maybe it was a whale and I just didn't see it :).

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
My daughter is in town this weekend so we've been having a blast on SF Bay. Saturday we chased down this boat to check it out. I'm pretty sure it's a Nimble 30.

pm_201025_0040.jpg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Last Friday may have been my last daysail of the season. It started out like this -
1605104404494.jpeg

There’s a horizon there somewhere, but between the glassy water and the sub-200 yard visibility I’m not sure where.

By late morning the fog burnt off and a very nice southerly breeze filled in. The afternoon looked a little different -
1605106830240.jpeg

Maybe I’ll get another chance this Friday but the winds aren’t forecast to be great. Saturday I winterize and next week is haul out.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My Grandson and I took the boat out for one last sail in 2020. It was his first adventure on a sail boat.

The wind swung from the SE at 6-9 to the NW at 16-20. I had my hands a bit full solo sailing. So no pictures were taken under sail I did get a couple during the 2 day adventure while he took the helm during our motor out.

1605210714310.png

Tied up to the dock 7 year olds can have such imaginations for play. He said he had just spotted a pirate ship.
1605210737569.png

1605210763757.png

And we both learned that he likes 1605210878977.png

When heated by grandpa and served after a cold afternoon sail.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Not quite so tranquil today! ;) Insulated jacket and my Canadian hat, still no shorts.

View attachment 187282
I was on a Pearson 30 Flyer on race around Simcoe Island several years ago blowing out of the SW, looked similar to that picture with wind around 30 to 35 knots. We had a blast heading back into KYC. After we finished we turned around and saw the Sharks all planing behind us with spinnakers flying. We didn't stand a chance on corrected time against them.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I was on a Pearson 30 Flyer on race around Simcoe Island several years ago blowing out of the SW, looked similar to that picture with wind around 30 to 35 knots. We had a blast heading back into KYC. After we finished we turned around and saw the Sharks all planing behind us with spinnakers flying. We didn't stand a chance on corrected time against them.
Yes things can get “interesting” off the Simcoe lighthouse shoal and then down through the gap :)