Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Does this sailboat exist?:

26' or less
Keel boat
Open transom
Tiller (not wheel)

The Why's:
-26' or less because I don't want to pay for a larger slip, and I really don't feel the need for a larger boat
-Keel boat because I want my passengers to not worry about capsizing. Ballast boat? Maybe, but I'm skeptical.
-Open transom because we like to anchor and go swimming
-Tiller because a wheel takes up too much of the cockpit.

I know Hunter made a 23.5 and a 26 with open transoms, but they are ballast boats. I'm not sure they would provide the stability I'm looking for.

Appreciate your suggestions, and thanks!

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Does this sailboat exist?:

26' or less
Keel boat
Open transom
Tiller (not wheel)

The Why's:
-26' or less because I don't want to pay for a larger slip, and I really don't feel the need for a larger boat
-Keel boat because I want my passengers to not worry about capsizing. Ballast boat? Maybe, but I'm skeptical.
-Open transom because we like to anchor and go swimming
-Tiller because a wheel takes up too much of the cockpit.

I know Hunter made a 23.5 and a 26 with open transoms, but they are ballast boats. I'm not sure they would provide the stability I'm looking for.

Appreciate your suggestions, and thanks!
Can you add definition on if you want any sort of cabin, head etc.

Apr 11, 2020
Can you add definition on if you want any sort of cabin, head etc.
Head would be nice, but not having one would not be a deal-killer.
More interested in cockpit room than cabin space. Use would be almost exclusively as a day-sailer

Apr 11, 2020
I did not want to burden my original post with too much verbiage, but the abundance of responses calls for more details.

The aim here is to find a boat that my landlubber friends and family will feel comfortable on as we sail across the lake to get burgers, watch the fireworks, anchor to go swimming, etc.

The go swimming part has me on the fence as it regards keel boats. A fixed keel would make heading into a cove a risky endeavor.

So, as fun and cool as the First and Melges 24's look, they're not the "sip wine and kick back" sort of sailing experience that I am looking to create for the aforementioned "lubbers".

Thanks, all!

Apr 11, 2020
Yes, and the Colgate 26 has a shoal draft model as well - 3'6" draft. Could work.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Based on watching how happy the owners are, for the last several decades, I would advise looking at a Martin 24. Of course the fin keel might eliminate it from your short list..... but they sail SO well.... !
And, or course, an Olson 25 !
:)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Colgate 26, designed for teaching newbies how to sail. It is the boat Colgate uses for his popular instruction programs. Draft won't be much of an issue unless you want to beach the boat. It was designed by Steve Colgate and Jim Taylor. Taylor has designed a number of popular boats that meet you criteria.

Apr 11, 2020
Based on watching how happy the owners are, for the last several decades, I would advise looking at a Martin 24. Of course the fin keel might eliminate it from your short list..... but they sail SO well.... !
And, or course, an Olson 25 !
:)
Yes, the Martins look like they are built to SAIL! Some of the 24x line have open transoms, so maybe a contender...

Olson 25 is a beautiful boat, but no open transom. :(

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
1595377908589.png

the picture above is a J boat. made by the J sail boat company. sailed all over the world. they come in many sizes. the Johnstone family builds boats. high quality, well thought out, great performance, ..... it's a sailor's sailboat. the boat pictured is a J/80.

i do need to warn you tho. once you scope out a J/80 you will fall in love. prettiest girl at the dance.

beware, the video is with olympic sailors in 30 knts of wind

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
now, i don't have an J boat, but i do have an A boat. a Melges A scow.
too long for what you asked. 38'. no keel on the A either. prolly faster.

don't let the video scare you. the J is a fun family boat. safe. predictable.

1595379576515.png

on the other side the A is a bit of a handfull

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
The aim here is to find a boat that my landlubber friends and family will feel comfortable on as we sail across the lake to get burgers, watch the fireworks, anchor to go swimming, etc.

The go swimming part has me on the fence as it regards keel boats. A fixed keel would make heading into a cove a risky endeavor.
Friends and family feel comfortable, my 50 years of experience tells me at least a small cabin, for rain or sun, when the kids get tired, and to hold enough beer, and definitely a head. Under 20K, open transom to swim from, tiller, humm, sounds like a used Catalina 250 wing keel.

Apr 11, 2020
Friends and family feel comfortable, my 50 years of experience tells me at least a small cabin, for rain or sun, when the kids get tired, and to hold enough beer, and definitely a head. Under 20K, open transom to swim from, tiller, humm, sounds like a used Catalina 250 wing keel.
Hm. Could be a contender. Thanks!