Does this boat exist?

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
You could look around for a used Benateau Class 8. While technically it has a swing keel, that keel weighs 1100 lbs so the weight is down where you want it. Its on a hand crank threaded rod, so it stays in place. It has an open transom and tiller steering. You can trailer sail it, but stepping the mast is a pain, as it is a keel stepped mast. They sell pretty cheap used, so well within your budget.
It is a racing boat, so it should sail well.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
View attachment 182706

the picture above is a J boat. made by the J sail boat company. sailed all over the world. they come in many sizes. the Johnstone family builds boats. high quality, well thought out, great performance, ..... it's a sailor's sailboat. the boat pictured is a J/80.

i do need to warn you tho. once you scope out a J/80 you will fall in love. prettiest girl at the dance.

beware, the video is with olympic sailors in 30 knts of wind
Geez. Jibing in a 30-knot wind. The amazing thing is that the boat does not sink under the weight of the sailor's balls!

Sep 20, 2014
Something else you could look at would be a Hunter 26.5. I have no idea how it sails, but is a keel boat with an open transom.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
that's the british olympic sailing coach and some buds. all doable.
the J80 is top quality, available in your price range and will easily sail like a family boat. google J80, you won't be bummed.
google Ascow videos, now they will flip if you don't pay attention.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I love my H26 for all the reasons you state about the amenities but it is water ballast. Hunter did make a few H270 which have the same hull and lay out as the H260 but with a fixed wing keel

Apr 11, 2020
Something I'm tempted by are the shallow-draft keel boats (Hunter 26.5 and Colgate 26 Sport). I read in a review though that the shorter winged keel results in an "upwind performance trade-off".

I'm torn between a water-ballast) boat I can pull into the shallows (or even beach) versus a keel boat that will be more stable but could be run aground if I'm not careful.

I envision future family activities (kids and grand kids) where being able to beach would be a boon. My wife is not convinced that would be all that important.

Maybe have two boats? I think my dad owned 3 at one point.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
@stickinthemud57 Time for me to chime in with a First 235. Have a look. Been called a perfect pocket cruiser for good reason. Drop the stern life line and down the short ladder to the water or hell, just jump in. Wouldn't trade mine for much anything else. Maybe one of those First 24's and if I had the room to store and could tow it, a First 265.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
@stickinthemud57 Time for me to chime in with a First 235. Have a look. Been called a perfect pocket cruiser for good reason. Drop the stern life line and down the short ladder to the water or hell, just jump in. Wouldn't trade mine for much anything else. Maybe one of those First 24's and if I had the room to store and could tow it, a First 265.
:plus:

Sep 20, 2014
If you want upwind performance and are willing to spend a little money, look at a used F24 or the new F22. Both boats will be way more stable than anything that's been listed so far and they don't need no stinken ballast. Plenty of room for the kids to lay out on the trampolines.

This version shows a mast crutch which could be eliminated if you are not trailering. With the foldable design, you won't be too wide for the slip. (yes they are designed to have the amas brought in and still be stable when not under sail) Plenty of cockpit space.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If you want upwind performance and are willing to spend a little money, look at a used F24 or the new F22. Both boats will be way more stable than anything that's been listed so far and they don't need no stinken ballast. Plenty of room for the kids to lay out on the trampolines.

This version shows a mast crutch which could be eliminated if you are not trailering. With the foldable design, you won't be too wide for the slip. (yes they are designed to have the amas brought in and still be stable when not under sail) Plenty of cockpit space.
Now we're talking..... again "we don't need no stinkin' tillers" ... this multi hull is perfect.. I want one.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think the beach-abiliy is over rated. I had a centerboard daysailer which we used to beach. It was a pain. The waves would work the boat on the beach, pushing the stern around parallel to the beach and waves. Rather than relax on the beach I was constantly watching the boat. I took to anchoring the boat a little off the beach. Have you ever sailed a boat off a beach with an on shore wind. It's not so easy. I'd much rather anchor in swimming distance to the beach and swim or dink in. Or just swim around the boat.
For family and guest outings I wouldn't buy a boat without a head. And, I'd want cockpit shade.

Sep 20, 2014
I beach my RL24 all the time. I've never had any serious trouble backing the boat off the beach, even with my little electric trolling motor. Yes, I have made the whole family get on the back of the boat to lift the bow, but it has always been able to back out. One thing that helps stabilize the boat is to beach it and then lower the centerboard, with some slack in the cable. All of my ballast weight is in the center board. This means all of that weight is effectively anchored into the sand, which keeps the boat from moving. As the boat moves around from the waves, the centerboard just works deeper and deeper into the sand. When it comes time to leave, just crank the centerboard up and back out. No big deal.

If someone was thinking seriously about the F22, that boat only weighs 1300 lbs, so pulling it off the beach should be relatively easy. Yes, it has room for a head.
Just for fun:
Judy B has the Corsair version, which has the same design.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Might as well hop on the bus. Yachtworld shows a Catalina 270 around 20k. Possibly the nicest interior of the bunch, but still easy to sail.
Dont stick the wing in the mud though.

Apr 11, 2020
In response the last batch of posts:

A trimaran would be great, but I would not want to add raising and lowering the outriggers to the list of things I had to deal with.

The point about beaching is well-taken, and I doubt I would want to beach anything larger than a 17 or 18-foot boat anyway. I mainly want to be able to sail in and out of the sometimes shallow coves we like to anchor in to go swimming.

I am leaning toward a shallow draft "wing keel" design, and would appreciate some feedback on how well a boat so equipped will point. I don't intend to race, but would prefer to be able to make at least decent progress when sailing windward.

So, owners of wing keel boats, what say you?

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Yes, the Martins look like they are built to SAIL! Some of the 24x line have open transoms, so maybe a contender...

Olson 25 is a beautiful boat, but no open transom. :(
I wouldnt let the transom close the door onmmany good boats, although swim ladders can be a hassle, not enough to reduce your choices by what, 30 to 50 percent?