Ranger 12 resurrection

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
just thought I’d post photos of resurrecting a $200 Ranger 12.

I got the boat here after responding to a general question. The boat was in fair shape after being owned by two consecutive non sailing “restorers”. No varnish existed on the hull the spars and oars still have serviceable cetol on them. It came complete with trailer (no title) sails, and looks like all the parts except some screws and clevis pins. I haven’t put up the two piece mast or sails yet.

Here is a shot of the boat as I pulled into my driveway
316DD66A-3AB2-424C-B350-852794CAB523.jpeg
6A7EE1D6-0234-470B-9B7F-827C83DBC90A.jpeg

May 20, 2016
Tires are good when I get the boat off the trailer to polish hull and paint the CB, I’ll check the bearings

Thanks for the reminder.

Les

Dec 12, 2019
Ranger 12 The Puget Sound - North
Tires are good when I get the boat off the trailer to polish hull and paint the CB, I’ll check the bearings

Thanks for the reminder.

Les
Hi Les,

Do you have any updates on the Ranger 12 since last year? We've been having a dialogue on the forum under Ranger 12.

Cheers!

May 20, 2016
A tail of wo. After polishing the hull, painting the inside and refreshing the running rigging we took it for a sail in lake Sammamish Not much wind but ok.

perfect docking under sail. Went to get the trailer and in line to go to the pull out started forward and stopped for a group of people walking in front of me. The teen behind me didn’t stop and tamed a bunk thu her grill and really bent/cracked the young of the trailer (rust). Got that settled got boat on trailer and proceeded to chain up area. Still slightly rattled didn’t notice an over hanging branch that proceeded to snap the mast below the fiberglass joint reinforcement. Still haven’t fixed the mast.

the admiral says sell it.

Dec 12, 2019
... Still haven’t fixed the mast.

the admiral says sell it.
Ouch! That must have been really disappointing to say the least. Well, there must be are a few options out there for fixing the mast. Having turned my own mast and spars out of Doug Fir and Sitka, I know that's one option. I wouldn't sell her just yet.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Oh Les,
That is painful just reading about it.
If you're up for it, it would be very satisfying to build your own mast. A table saw some glue and a spokeshave, then sand it out.
If you go with a glued up hollow mast using bird beak joints, it will be very strong and light.
Bird's Mouth Spars revisited

-Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 12, 2019
The fiberglass repairs and gel-coat of my Ranger 12 hull are complete! Looks really different now.

I’ll finally be fitting the new kick-up rudder I made to the transom, albeit with stainless steel gudgeons and pintles instead of the bronze I was hoping to use... Oh well!!

Here’s some photos of the ‘new’ hull!

3F554D1F-A238-485F-BA6D-26E5B838EC25.jpeg

959C195F-6B13-4B0C-B2A2-E139A900124B.jpeg
01D24CE3-71B1-4E24-A12A-E62E383D84CC.jpeg
C9663486-3E08-41A5-872F-DFEE0998385D.jpeg

I have two rope stropped blocks to make for the mainsheet and sew one patch and grommet for the brailing line and then she’s done! Just a few more weeks.

May 9, 2020
Ranger 12 Burlington
The fiberglass repairs and gel-coat of my Ranger 12 hull are complete! Looks really different now.

I’ll finally be fitting the new kick-up rudder I made to the transom, albeit with stainless steel gudgeons and pintles instead of the bronze I was hoping to use... Oh well!!

Here’s some photos of the ‘new’ hull!

View attachment 176841
View attachment 176832View attachment 176833View attachment 176839

I have two rope stropped blocks to make for the mainsheet and sew one patch and grommet for the brailing line and then she’s done! Just a few more weeks.
Great job (!) on the Gel coat repair - what did you use to paint it?
Also, why do you want to rope stropped blocks which are practically un-adjustable? It is not that traditional of a boat and modern blocks actually work. I am switching mine out to a Force-Five style setup as below-

Attachments

Dec 12, 2019
Great job (!) on the Gel coat repair - what did you use to paint it?
Also, why do you want to rope stropped blocks which are practically un-adjustable? It is not that traditional of a boat and modern blocks actually work. I am switching mine out to a Force-Five style setup as below-
Actually, I did a total conversion of the Ranger 12 and it's a traditional Sprit Rig Sloop now, hence the rope stropped blocks.

IMG_9888.JPG

IMG_9899.JPG

IMG_9923.JPG

MainSheetBlocks.JPG

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
A B S O L U T E L Y Beautiful.

Good looking chisel, I can almost read the brand, but I don't think it says 'Witherby'. The symbol doesn't look quite like Buck. Nice tool, though.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 12, 2019
Thanks Will!

The chisel is a vintage W. Marples & Sons (1920-1940). A good friend of mine got it from a restorer in the UK and gave it to me last year. I couldn’t have done any of the wood working without it. It’s super sharp and precise.

R/John

Attachments