Garmin sounder

M

Member 131497

Well once again, thx for taking a moment of your time guys... Well just as the previously discussed long scratch that even been superficial took the paint of for 3 feet long and 3 inches wide, the deepth sounder also suffered damage. How they managed to so i dont know. Its as you can see sort of detached. Now then, would it be better to use 5200 or... West systems products and make it stronger in place.
Im afraid that with upcoming liveaboard use and traveling it might start leaking and being a pain. Thats why i considered tbe use of west system. As always... Thx for your advice guys.
C
20191130_110344.jpg
20191130_110340.jpg

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
What on earth are we looking at? Why is that box puttied to your boat's hull?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
What on earth are we looking at? Why is that box puttied to your boat's hull?
We're looking at a depth transducer mounted on a hunk of something devised to get it somewhat perpendicular to the waterline.

Or something...:biggrin:

M

Member 131497

Thats exactly right, according to the instructions it had to be mounted at that
angle for it to get the right readings.
I know is going to cause certain degree of drag and thats another reason i thought to use west systems instead of 5200...any thoughts on that pls?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thats exactly right, according to the instructions it had to be mounted at that angle for it to get the right readings.
Yes at an angle but not necessarily with a box hanging on to the hull. That looks like a box for a Side looking or forward looking sonar, not just a depth sonar.

Here is an image of a thru hull transducer with the sonar transmitter angled inside of the thru hull to the vertical. Nothing needs to be in a box on the outside of the hull.
1575148493149.png

I know is going to cause certain degree of drag and thats another reason i thought to use west systems instead of 5200...any thoughts on that pls?
You want to use an adhesive caulk designed for underwater conditions. 5200 is what I would use in this application.

Sovt

Jul 2, 2014
Fuji 36 New Baltimore NY
I agree with your concerns about leakage. You want the block to be permanently attached to the hull. My preference is West systems products, Gflex or 105 epoxy with 404 or 406 additive would work well, 5200 is also an acceptable adhesive. For other posters, the block is necessary on some hulls because the deadrise angle exceeds the limit of the transducer, usually around 22 degrees.

M

Member 131497

I agree with your concerns about leakage. You want the block to be permanently attached to the hull. My preference is West systems products, Gflex or 105 epoxy with 404 or 406 additive would work well, 5200 is also an acceptable adhesive. For other posters, the block is necessary on some hulls because the deadrise angle exceeds the limit of the transducer, usually around 22 degrees.
Yes youre right on the money, its a Garmin echomap 74DV

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I suggest you re think your existing through hull system and install it in a more conventional way. So... first thing is to READ THIS ARTICLE "Installing a through-hull transducer" to understand my meaning.
No matter how much epoxy or adhesive you apply to that external "box" you're always going to have issues. So... back to the beginning with a better plan... it will pay off in the long run, I guarantee it.