Hunter 306 New Owner Questions

Arbee

May 22, 2019
Hunter 306 571 Westernport Vic
Hi, first post on this forum!

After years of trailer yachts we've recently imported a 2004 (MY2005) H306 from the US to Australia and while the boat has arrived in great shape, I thought I'd consult the brains trust here on a few things. We don't get as many Hunters as Catalinas in Australia, not sure why - the cruisy comfort, fractional B&R rig, in-mast furling and arch made it a no-contest for our daysailing/weekender tastes. We stumbled across a very tired and mouldy H290 here (while looking at a Catalina) and while we didn't want a "project" boat, we fell in love with the design. Must say the thorough manual, this forum and available parts were also very comforting factors in our decision.

The internal teak is generally in good shape but showing a few areas of wear that seem common in many Hunters of this vintage. Have you followed the manual's recommendation for re-finishing (spray) or gone a different way with something like a brushed polyurethane finish?

The head has a large splodge of DIY silicone just above floor level between the sink cabinet base and toilet (near the corner). Before I go digging in there to find out, is there anything under there that might have made the previous owner go hunting in that area?

Are there any notorious leak areas or weak spots on these boats we should be aware of and fix before we re-launch?

Thanks for any guidance, we are extremely excited to get the boat in the water once we put it back together. It really ticks all the boxes for our needs.

Robert
Melbourne, Australia

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Congratulations! Regarding the interior Teak we had some fading from UV in some areas. We looked into it and found the supplier of the finish materials - Mohawk. We actually found a distributor and bought some. We tried a small patch and didn't really like the results and I'm sorry I don't remember why. At my wife's suggestion we used liquid gold which produced a nice tone and finish. Yes, we had to re-apply but it was easy to do. Don't sand it.
How was the boat delivered to Australia?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Welcome to the site @Arbee and congrats on the new boat.

If you can Include photos of your areas of concern, it will multiply the response rate considerably.

The head has a large splodge of DIY silicone just above floor level between the sink cabinet base and toilet (near the corner).
Sounds interesting (maybe even scary) but a picture will bring it to life along with a few suggestions.

Arbee

May 22, 2019
Thanks for the welcome! I should add the boat had an out of the water survey before we purchased her and these are just nit picky issues. The boat reports to be otherwise in very good shape.

Here are a couple of pics:

a) the DIY silicon "splodge" on the edge of the head floor, top right of photo. It didn't get a mention in the survey report, probably just cosmetic damage but thought I should check here first in case there is some awareness of what might lurk within.

2019-01-08 08.04.45.jpg

and b) the typical aging teak finish issues (this is not our boat but provides an exaggeration of our issue).

Untitled.jpg

Thanks for any input at all, much appreciated.

Robert

Arbee

May 22, 2019
Congratulations! Regarding the interior Teak we had some fading from UV in some areas. We looked into it and found the supplier of the finish materials - Mohawk. We actually found a distributor and bought some. We tried a small patch and didn't really like the results and I'm sorry I don't remember why. At my wife's suggestion we used liquid gold which produced a nice tone and finish. Yes, we had to re-apply but it was easy to do. Don't sand it.
How was the boat delivered to Australia?
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion. That resonates with me as the original finish seems a little thin and obviously vulnerable to wear so something more substantial makes sense.
From survery/deposit to delivery the process took a long 5 months for a variety of reasons - road transport from Oriental NC to Jacksonville, Hoegh RoRo autoliner to Melbourne, stuck at the port for 6 weeks due to the whole shipment being quarantined due to a ladybug infestation en route, and then road to the marina.

Arbee

May 22, 2019
Sorry, one more question - where will I find the emergency tiller? I see where it fits if I ever need to use it, but no mention of where it is stored in the manual that I can see.

Thanks again.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
the DIY silicon "splodge" on the edge of the head floor, top right of photo.
The PO may have been smoking crack when he applied the splodge. I can only speak for myself here, but I would have to know what is beneath the silicone.

where will I find the emergency tiller?
Odd, but the most convenient place to store the spare tiller is between two SS spring clips in the starboard lazerette. If yours isn't there (or at least the clips) I'd be worried it's in the deep. It's fairly large and not easy to overlook.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
the splodge is in a spot that is a common moulding defect in the glass - you end up with a thin layer of gelcoat on the mold, a void, and then the underlying glass in the corner. the thin gelcoat breaks leaving an open "wound", cosmetic but a dirt collector. normally just an easy gelcoat repair but who knows what the PO did...

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Was the boat originally sold by America Marine & Sail Supply out of North Carolina? If so send me a private message as I would have sold your boat originally.
Now retired
Dave Condon

Arbee

May 22, 2019
Was the boat originally sold by America Marine & Sail Supply out of North Carolina? If so send me a private message as I would have sold your boat originally.
Now retired
Dave Condon
Thanks Dave, I bought it second hand from Triton Yachts (great bunch!) in Oriental NC as a one-owner, but I believe the original owner was in New York when originally purchased in 2004. I'll check the books on the boat in case I'm wrong about that.

Arbee

May 22, 2019
Thanks all for the replies. Found the emergency tiller beneath the packed lazerette. Yes I know, should have unpacked the boat properly before I asked and not relied on the manual to tell me. I'll call it a moment of "new owner anxiety" :yikes:.

I'll dig into the "silicon splodge" in the head floor and see what is revealed.

Cheers, Robert

Mar 9, 2019
Hunter 33.5 Titusville
Thanks for the welcome! I should add the boat had an out of the water survey before we purchased her and these are just nit picky issues. The boat reports to be otherwise in very good shape.

Here are a couple of pics:

a) the DIY silicon "splodge" on the edge of the head floor, top right of photo. It didn't get a mention in the survey report, probably just cosmetic damage but thought I should check here first in case there is some awareness of what might lurk within.

View attachment 171811

and b) the typical aging teak finish issues (this is not our boat but provides an exaggeration of our issue).

View attachment 171812

Thanks for any input at all, much appreciated.

Robert

Mar 9, 2019
Hunter 33.5 Titusville
Congratulations on your purchase. The interior looks very similar to my H335.paper
I have refinished most of the interior wood. Everybody has their own recipe but this is what I have done and it looks good 2 years later.
For the nav table surface, I sanded it with 400 paper with a vibrating sander. Based on your picture, I think it will still look a bit mottled (light and dark) when you are finished. The I used wipe on TUNG oil (not teak) from Min Wax. I applied 2 - 3 coats depending on the desired color. I let it sit longer on the light parts before wiping off. Then on the flat surface like the nav table I use the Minwax wipe on poly. 3 coats.
For the sides, I sand if needed and use Tung oil only. For the sole, I removed any varnish with a varnish remover. You need to clean with soap really well. The "gray color" is dirt. Then I sanded with perhaps 200 then 400 and again used 3 coats of Tung oil. For the floors I found the most success with the brush on polyurethane. Best of luck. PS. if I could take the wood off the boat and do it at my house, it was much easier and faster. Although it could take a few days to coat everything.

Arbee

May 22, 2019
I'm back; finally! The boat arrived too close to Christmas for the trades to finish the main hull and rigging refurb but all done now and we have the boat happily in its long term berth (attached). The three blade prop gave me a good introduction to prop walk while trying to reverse in (only outboard trailer yacht experience previously) but we made some amused but very experienced new friends and helpers in the process. We live and learn! The space and layout of this boat in a compact 29 foot hull length is truly remarkable, we love it.

I'm about to tackle the "silicon splodge" and will report back on that. I also have a can of Mohawk spray lacquer on its way to patch the teak cabin trim and galley fiddles. The hull liner is in great condition but a little yellowed and "grubby" in places, especially around the cushion edges. We've carefully tried a few household products with modest success but please do let me know if you've discoverd the magic product.

The next step is to find a gentle day to try out the sails and make sure the furling main and headsail operate as expected. We've only motored her so far but we're more sailors at heart so keen to get acquainted with how the boat handles. We also have a cruising assym spinnaker that we're looking forward to on the right day.

Anyway, just dropped back to say hi in the midst of this virus madness and look forward to become one of the more experienced Hunter forum members.

Cheers, Robert

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thanks @Arbee for sharing your story. Congrats on the boat. Keep us in the loop with tour refit projects.
fair winds.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
Robert,

We have exactly the same model year of the 306 (purchased in October 2004, MY2005), so if you have any questions, I'd be glad to try to help. For the past couple of weeks, and probably for the next month or so, I'm out working on the boat most days, so it's easy for me to take pictures or whatever.

Jay

Arbee

May 22, 2019
Robert,

We have exactly the same model year of the 306 (purchased in October 2004, MY2005), so if you have any questions, I'd be glad to try to help. For the past couple of weeks, and probably for the next month or so, I'm out working on the boat most days, so it's easy for me to take pictures or whatever.

Jay
Thanks Jay, I really appreciate the offer. Stepping up from a trailer yacht, there are many systems to fully learn and understand. I've noticed already that the owner's manual is not always accurate (e.g. the thru-hulls are in different places to the diagram).

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
Thanks Jay, I really appreciate the offer. Stepping up from a trailer yacht, there are many systems to fully learn and understand. I've noticed already that the owner's manual is not always accurate (e.g. the thru-hulls are in different places to the diagram).
No problem at all. Every time I start looking at what needs to be done for the next season, it blows my mind just how many systems there are on a boat. And we don't even have A/C, heat, an inverter, or a roller furling main... But propane, battery charger, fresh water, holding tank, engine, stuffing box, thru-hulls, bottom paint, leaks, ground tackle, running rigging, bimini/sail-covers/canvas, sails, fire suppression, hull waxing, and probably 20 other things. Oof.

Just message me if you want to ask something (model specific) and I'll try to help.