st50 wind transducer repair

Oct 5, 2019
Catalina C380 St Petersburg, FL
My st50 wind transducer (Z135) has failed, first direction, more recently wind speed. Question:

1. Does Raymarine (or FLIR) still service these units?

2. Can anyone recommend a service that does work on these units or rebuilds them?

3. Years ago I purchased as a spare which I thought was an exact replacement, but when installed at masthead, the connector slot is 180 deg reversed, so arm is upside down when mounted. Is there a way to rotate the connector fitting 180 deg? Is this a model difference? The 5 pin connectors are the same, as are the wind vane and wind cups.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Sounds like the problem could be sticking bearings. If you take the transducer off the mast, you should be able to move the vane and the cups with just a light breath of air.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Can't help you with question # 3, but here is what I found out from FLIr 2 years ago:

#1 They did not want to touch my ST-60 which is a later model than your ST-50 so I doubt that you'll have any luck with them. They only told me my ST-60 was obsolete and I needed to by the new model.

#2 I found a great technician in Durango, CO who knew Raymarine products inside out. He was able to fix my problem at a very reasonnable cost. His name is Dan Gerhardt and 2 years ago his email was : C250@mydurango.net.

And no, I'm not related and I don't know if he still does any servicing of Raymarine instruments, but if I was you I'd try to get in touch. Good luck

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 37.5 37.5 Norfolk
few years ago I rebuilt my ST 50 with parts I obtained on Ebay. There is a complete rebuild procedure on line that someone did in PDF. I downloaded it , got the parts of Ebay. Repaired it in the salon of the boat and had back up at the masthead in about two hours. If memory serves again, there is a lady somewhere in England that has parts. I found them all on Ebay a few years ago so do not know if they are still available. The bearings themselves can be found commercially for a song. Somewhere in the numerous posts of sailboatowners.com is all the information. That is where I found it back then. I attached the files I got a few years back. Hope these help.

Attachments

Apr 9, 2016
Catalina 350 48 Santa Barbara
My 2002 wind transducer stopped working about a year ago. The wind speed cup would stop spinning. No one wanted to service it they only wanted to sell me a new one. I removed it from the mast and took it apart. Love YouTube. The bearings were rusted pretty bad. I could not find new ones here in the states. I finally found a shop over in the U.K using google and sending them a couple emails with pictures that had them. It took about 2 weeks for the parts to arrive and is now working great.

bdc1

Oct 27, 2014
Hunter 260 Rochester
actually my interaction with support as different, i sent my unit in and they checked and said the unit was fine so you should call them

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX