ST 50 wind malfunction

Feb 13, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Plattsburgh, NY
When we went sailing last week our ST50 wind instrument refused to take a reading in light air and mysteriously worked on one tack and not the other going to weather. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, was it fixable? Thanks, Alice

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
Check your masthead: the likely Reason is a corroded connection at the transducer.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Light air failure typically indicates that the bearings need to be replaced. I have all the info and parts source to do that. If you need, PM me.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Light air failure typically indicates that the bearings need to be replaced. I have all the info and parts source to do that. If you need, PM me.
Or you could just post that info and parts source here...

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
OK guys, here you go. I have finally completed my rebuild instructions for the ST-50 wind transducer. Attached are my instructions and two other documents and a RayMarine link that I found on the ‘net that also have good information. Before you actually break out the tools and begin the rebuild, I highly suggest that all documents are read carefully.
This rebuild process is not for the faint of heart. If you are not comfortable working with delicate electronic assemblies, then this may not be for you.
I have rebuilt 3 of these wind transducers, two were ST-50 and one was an early ST-60 unit. All are working like brand new.
Included in my instructions are the sources for the bearings and O-rings.
I have two complete sets of bearings and O-rings that are up for grabs if you don’t want to source the correct parts yourself. I have listed them in Gear for Sale.
Good luck. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions.

Attachments