Hunter 216 Sailtec alternative test

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I added a 2:1 block and two Prussik knots to the system. The added MA really helps the hoist to handle the weight of the board.

This is a mock up of the system. The blue rope represents the lift cable, the red rope is the anchor line for the progress capture and the mostly white rope is the working line in the system.

7D6E3118-74C6-4B32-B866-BADC19833DA1.jpeg

With the board all the way down the first Prussik knot is used on the load line just after it’s exit of the block and connects to the hook of the hoist. The second Prussik knot acts as a progress capture and is attached to the actual lift cable.

Actual system in place with the hoist reeled in as far as it will go at this point

F06B6F38-44A3-4D14-B320-303536720577.jpeg

As suspected the 2:1 block has created a stoke length problem so I can’t completly raise the board. I can tweak some things to help but the progress capture section can take the load while I shift the Prussik on the “working” line forward and then finish raising if needed. The progress capture can also act as a fail safe if the hoist freewheeled or failed.
I’m quite happy with the changes and am closer to having a completly viable replacement as well as a disaster recovery solution

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
the cable load is well over 500lbs - because the CB has long moment extending well aft of the cable attach pin.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
Thinking outside the box - love it.

A little farther outside:

How bout an old fashioned tractor or light truck Bumper jack?. Might find an antique. Or they make new ones for off-road recovery.

With the cover off one should be able to use the big handle's length.

even if mounted above the cb frame, perhaps the cover would hide it?

-curt

06530_W3.jpg
/

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
Sorry I don't understand what you mean???

The lift cable attaches to the centerboard at a point close to the hinge point. So there is a "arm" extended well aft of the cb hinge point.(pivot) The cb is 500lbs by itself. (load) So the lifting tension on the cable must b a lot more.(effort)
lever.jpg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Would an electrically-powered linear actuator be a solution? Not sure of your boat's electrical situation, but powerful and fast linear actuators are available and affordable.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The lift cable attaches to the centerboard at a point close to the hinge point. So there is a "arm" extended well aft of the cb hinge point.(pivot) The cb is 500lbs by itself. (load) So the lifting tension on the cable must b a lot more.(effort)View attachment 169447
I get your "speak" now!!!!:beer:

I was thinking the same in that it's > 500 but have no way to measure. Although pulling the lever on the hoist during the first attempt and only getting one link at time with a fair bit of $^$^%$ going on was a pretty good clue. Hence the 2:1 block, easily get 3-4 links and then reposition now. Solve one problem create another. I'm making up some shorter continuous loops to try to get the Prussik "tail" shorter and might remove the hook to make the hoist chain end closer to the "constrictor" connection which will lengthen the stroke. I might gain enough that way to eliminate the need to use the progress capture. The board really doesn't have to be ALL the way up to load the boat on the trailer

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Thinking outside the box - love it.

A little farther outside:

How bout an old fashioned tractor or light truck Bumper jack?. Might find an antique. Or they make new ones for off-road recovery.

With the cover off one should be able to use the big handle's length.

even if mounted above the cb frame, perhaps the cover would hide it?

-curt

View attachment 169446/
Nice idea, used these a LOT during my farming days!! I don’t think it would fit in the steel structure on my boat. Bit of a constricted area in the middle of the framework.

85F9D75F-6F37-422E-9383-11295AD71016.jpeg

I’m not sure if they redesigned this structure for your H22-2?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Would an electrically-powered linear actuator be a solution? Not sure of your boat's electrical situation, but powerful and fast linear actuators are available and affordable.
Nice idea but NO power other than

56D3287C-F67F-4A27-A1E1-B00FEA023936.jpeg

aboard.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I made a shorter loop and tried a soft shackle in place of the hook. It’s shorter but I’m a little leery about the soft shackle - end of chain lash up. Enough load here to leave a mark if something pops so I think I’ll leave the hook in place. Kinda handy to have a hoist on board!!!

B2C9D591-53B1-4493-B7F2-C74AB2FAA78A.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
Nice idea, used these a LOT during my farming days!! I don’t think it would fit in the steel structure on my boat. Bit of a constricted area in the middle of the framework.

I get it.
I'm thinking that the bumper jack does not need to fit between the frame rails. Only it's "hook" does. And the hook could face downward. The rest could sit on top of the frame. I speculate that it would nonetheless be covered up by fiberglass cover. In other words, viewed from the front, the bumper jack is quite narrow. The ratchet would stick upward where one could insert the removable handle. I think this would give one more than enough power since its designed to life several tons.

One drawback is that there would probably not be a way to release it so the CB dropped quickly. You would have to ratchet the handle to lower the CB. Still though, that's not bad. Works OK to change a tire. ;)

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
You know, you could just learn how to rebuild it, and buy the rebuild kit from Sailtec. Looks like kits are in the under $200 neighborhood.
The unit in my boat is in working condition but I decided to tackle this for my own benefit and possibly for others. If a relatively inexpensive system can be worked up it could be stored aboard and used to get the boat on the trailer or as a full time alternative to the Sailtec unit. If it's constructed from common marine components anyone could service their own "unit".

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I did a little cleanup of my system today so thought I would post about what I consider the final product. I’m absolutely convinced that I can remove the Sailtec unit should it fail unexpectedly and have this installed within 10 minutes. This would be good disaster recovery if one was stuck on a sandbar or trying to load the boat on the trailer.
I also think it could be used full time as an alternative to the Sailtec with the provision that it would not be as quick and simple and potentially a bit risky as you would have the centreboard trunk “cover” off to make any adjustments.

Total cost is about $300 CDN and it all fits in a little bucket that be easily stored aboard.

A5DEC790-73B1-4E97-93E5-EE8420272167.jpeg

This is the complete system
EBEBC390-43EA-419B-901C-DA65BE292118.jpeg

Closeup of the “pin” end

FF937B03-0CD9-4095-9E85-73BB4FF7F4BD.jpeg

Closeup of “idler pulley” end

96EA7E88-BEB5-47F9-A5FE-DB6A9BE76D88.jpeg

The grey coloured synthetic rope part is a progress capture - fail safe. As the steel cable is pulled in the Prussik knot is advanced towards the bow.

Last edited: