South Coast 26 Build and sailing trip thread

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
Well, it's pretty rough. Fixable, but unless you are emotionally attached, I agree with @rgranger , part it out and start fresh.

You are overstating welder cost, and scrap steel is not hard to come by for a fabricated steel version. However, your other damage is significant. It will suck up your free time for quite awhile doing some pretty messy jobs. Unless you really love fiberglass work, I'd call it done.
Its what the cost is for a welder and plasma cutter on the tool truck at my shop. Not overstated. I could get a less expensive one true.

And time being money, that is a high cost to me and my girlfriend. We are both seriously busy and also I would like to spend some time with my daughter once and a while. Sigh. Its painful.

Parting out anything is a long term project, and one that I avoid in a business I know (automotive), that can easily suck space and time. I have the space to park a trailer. But putting the boat on jacks? Would rather strip the boat and dump it, then sell the trailer if I go that way. If we could recoup 3k total it would be what it cost us to buy initially. But I am well aware that is a year out minimum. Again time is money. Is it worth that when I would probably bill higher at my shop just working then I would make off parting it out. Hard call as I am a tight wad.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Agree with strip it and dump it. The carcass is trash. If you'd rather bill the time out at work than parting and selling, I can relate to that also (cause I would rather take a flaming stick in the eye than part something out). We have limited days. I've had the tightwad bug cheat me out of some good times.

Hate this happened to you. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
Agree with strip it and dump it. The carcass is trash. If you'd rather bill the time out at work than parting and selling, I can relate to that also (cause I would rather take a flaming stick in the eye than part something out). We have limited days. I've had the tightwad bug cheat me out of some good times.

Hate this happened to you. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thank you.

It's shitty. We learned a lot from her and are continuing to learn even more. Sadly not the fun way.

No decisions yet. Still kicking ideas back and forth. Lean towards taking the boat to the dump, and selling trailer.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Well damn. I clearly wasn't thinking when I was there yesterday.

There is a serious temptation to just tell the guy who pulled it out with out giving me an estimate "looks like you own a boat and trailer, good luck". Which could be what he was looking to get with his not giving an estimate.
That would be the easy route but you may want to have a conversation and then put it in writing to make sure they don't put a lean on you.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
BTW: If you decide to part it out.... I'll take one of those T-track & genoa cars off of your hands.... but don't let this influence your decision. I'm just saying that I am in in the market for one.

I have an idea for a removable traveler system for my Hunter but it is just a concept idea sort of project so I want to try it out using used parts first.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
@rgranger makes a good point. You do have access to a lot of folks that might be interested in used parts....

Jul 23, 2019
Hunter 18.5 Revelstoke
Wow what a story, thanks for sharing it..... Hope you can get back out on the water soon

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
Wow what a story, thanks for sharing it..... Hope you can get back out on the water soon
I am afraid that the level of damage is higher then I am willing to fix on her. Now just to deal with small claims court with the guy who pulled the boat out.

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
Time for the final chapter on this boat for now. I still haven't decided if I am keeping it or parting it. If I keep it I am gutting it and redesigning it (silly ideas in my head about a deck saloon style floor plan with a drop keel that is deeper and will completely lock when lowered, probably a really bad idea...). So... that's significantly more work.

The small claims court is done. The guy was charging me 1900 to pull the boat out, and did so with out me saying I wanted it done. All I wanted was an estimate.

The judge found in his favor. But really didn't like the way he billed. So instead of the full bill I have 1k to pay him. I have already called him and left a message that I can pay what I owe at any time. So I lost the case in court, but quite honestly the end result is neither of us is going to be happy about the outcome. Something I mentioned to him in my first email to him. It is what it is.

Moving on to other things. Still shopping for a boat that we can get in the water this coming summer. Found an Irwin 28 with a centerboard. But reviews on those are mixed at best.