Will a Catalina 25 fit on a Columbia 26 mk 2 trailer?

Mitjh2

May 1, 2019
Catalina 25 Lake Carlyle
I have a Catalina 25 I need to transport across states. It is currently on its cradle. I acquired a trailer that use to have a Columbia 26 mk 2 trailer. The guy used it to tow his boat from California to Kentucky, and trailer launch. It is very solid trailer with tandem 5000 pound axles and surge brakes. I am towing with a three quarter ton diesel truck. I know the trailer can handle the weight as the Catalina is 2,000 lbs lighter than the Columbia, but I worry about the dimensions. The Columbia is 6 inches wider, 6 inches longer, and 4 inches more draft than my Catalina. The trailer is a bunk set up, not adjustable pads. I'm wondering if I just add 4 inches to to keel board will it sit nicely. My concern is whether or not the curvature of boats is that much different. I can't find any hull dimension information on the either boat. Does any body have experience with this who can help me out? I need to have my boat moved in one week. I added pictures of trailer to this post. I'm currently replacing keel boards, new tires wheels, and bearings all the way around just to be safe.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Although the bunk supports are not adjustable, it looks like the curvature of the bunk was built in using spacer boards.

upload_2019-5-1_9-4-53.png

You should be able to create the correct camber by redoing this job. Also, it almost looks like this trailer has been modified once before. To my eye, the original bunk is this board here...

upload_2019-5-1_9-6-31.png

I think you could repeat the modification for your boat. So long as the bunks sit snug against the hull and the keel sits on the keel rest, you should be fine.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
Mitjh2,
The curve is not all that critical as long as it doesn't create a point load anywhere. You should have 99% (approx.)of the boats weight resting on the keel with the bunks having enough load to prevent tipping, supplemented by several heavy straps.
Your problem then will be that you must make up the difference in keel height on the keel tray so you're not resting the hull on the bunks with the keel up in the air. Get heavy 4 inch timbers on the keel tray to set the the keel on and then crib the bunks up to the hull with 2x4 scraps and rigid foam and strap her down good. you'll likely have to something with that bow support roller as well.
If none of that works for you, come get my flatbed trailer and tow it home on it's cradle. That's how I got my H25 project home.
Dennis

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Former dealer for Catalina. Year of boat? Is this a deep fin, swing or wing keel? Send me a private message with phone number and I will call

Jan 19, 2010
Click on crazy Dave’s name
A window pops up and one of the options is “send a private message”

Mitjh2

May 1, 2019
Catalina 25 Lake Carlyle
Thanks for all the tips. We ended up taking down the top bunk addition from the Columbia (rgranger), adding two additional 10x2 boards for the keel to rest on (Dennis Kitchen), and it fit like a glove. My Dad ended up going with, and he wanted to take his old half ton suburban because he says it is more comfortable. It towed just fine without any problems all the way from Detroit to St. Louis. The surge brakes are a nice addition. I also got a great suggestion for mast support from someone at the marina. We bought two saw horse hinges for $5 each and some 2x4s and made custom mast supports. It rained on us while preparing for transport, and I picked up two screws in my trailer tires at the Marina (not my screws). Not the best case scenario, but we got it done. We are planning to launch this weekend, and I will be able take the wife and kids sailing for their first time.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
:plus: Yes it is a very nice looking boat. Glad you were able to get the trailer to work.

I am a bit concerned that there is no bow stop on your trailer. It looks to me like you could slam on the breaks and have your new boat sitting on your head. I would take some tow straps from the bow-eye and bring them back to an attachment point on the trailer. At least the straps would prevent the boat from sliding forward.

Mitjh2

May 1, 2019
Catalina 25 Lake Carlyle
:plus: Yes it is a very nice looking boat. Glad you were able to get the trailer to work.

I am a bit concerned that there is no bow stop on your trailer. It looks to me like you could slam on the breaks and have your new boat sitting on your head. I would take some tow straps from the bow-eye and bring them back to an attachment point on the trailer. At least the straps would prevent the boat from sliding forward.
I agree. We ended up taking the straps from the winches to the stern of the trailer to hold the boat back. We took this picture before we switched the straps. I planning on welding a bow stop in the future. I would love to figure out a way to trailer launch it in the future. I checked the measurements on the trailer and local boat ramp, and found I would need a 20ft. extension to get it into 6ft of water. I'm assuming 6ft to be comfortable as 4 ft draft, and the keel board is 19 inches from the ground. I may be forced to pay the hoist every time.

Jan 19, 2010
Welding is fine but permanent. My bow stop bolts on and is adjustable. Mine looks something like this...

You can find other designs online.