Big Brother and SBO

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I'm sorry Dave, but ever since the technology has become more advanced, there are many out there who believe that in the best interest of all concerned, we should track everyone. Technology is not necessarily our friend. One cannot go anywhere now without be monitored with some kind of device be it phone or video. Even satellites have the eyes to watch.
Brian, I'm not one of those guys who thinks we should track everybody every where. I am particularly concerned about the deployment of facial recognition software in the public square. That is way too intrusive, we'll have to have multiple sets of sun glasses and we'll all be wearing black hoodies.

We humans have been tracking each other for eons, we've now become very proficient at it. And sometimes it is good. I want my employer to track my entering the building. I work part time on an hourly basis, if there is any question about my hours, then they can pull the log and see when I came to work. About a week ago there was a guy in Syracuse arrested for murder. He was released a few days later because there was tracking evidence that he was somewhere else at the time.

Tracking data is ultimately a tool and like any tool it can be used for good or evil. Since we sort of get to choose our government, it is exceptionally important to choose officials that we trust to use any data for good and not evil. We need to be vigilant that we do not sell out our liberty and freedom in the name of security theater.

Since we are all apologizing I guess I'm sorry for poking this bear...
It is important to have civil discussions about important topics. And this has been civil, only a couple of snide remarks about Windows and security. And I got Peggie's name spelled correctly. :)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
It is important to have civil discussions about important topics. And this has been civil, only a couple of snide remarks about Windows and security. And I got Peggie's name spelled correctly. :)
Oh.... I wasn't actually apologizing. I was being snarky ( only a shade better than snide). ;)

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I woke this morning. After getting dressed and heading downstairs for a cup of coffee, I looked at my phone...
The Siri app was running with the following frightening words boldly on the screen.....

"Go ahead, I'm Listening"!:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Jan 19, 2010
Ask Siri " Hey Siri, where are you?" Always entertaining.

Siri is a form of AI and she will also learn. I was taking my daughter on a college visit and using Siri to navigate. The directions were fairly good but it missed the access road to the hotel and took me on a U-turn in front of the hotel. I had to make the block and then parked. The next day after our campus visit, I asked Siri for directions back to the hotel and this time she did not make the same mistake. She learned from my actions the day before.

Now that SH!T scares me.

Jan 19, 2010
If they released that again without the ape scene, I might watch it again.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Think he means Ubuntu, an open-source operating system(s) free to use and abuse.
I spend a few days on the boat and the threads just go on...

I actually did mean lubuntu. https://lubuntu.net/ It's a lightweight linux OS that's good for quick USB boots on less-than-performant computers. The desktop environment with it is usable, if a bit dated. For a full blown computer install I use ubuntu. Point being is that any linux distro is generally more secure than windows. Just because it's targeted less. And if it's a USB boot, you're in isolation anyway.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I spend a few days on the boat and the threads just go on...
Snip
Point being is that any linux distro is generally more secure than windows. Just because it's targeted less. And if it's a USB boot, you're in isolation anyway.
This is a fallacy fostered by beliefs, not facts. Mac users tend to make the same mistake. It’s a dangerous attitude; “I’m not a big target so I’m safe” has led to lax practices and easy pickings. The result has been an explosive growth in successful exploits by hackers. @jeepbluetj I hope you have disconnected backups.

Check the link https://www.cvedetails.com/top-50-products.php?year=2018

Jan 11, 2014
This is a fallacy fostered by beliefs, not facts. Mac users tend to make the same mistake. It’s a dangerous attitude; “I’m not a big target so I’m safe” has led to lax practices and easy pickings. The result has been an explosive growth in successful exploits by hackers. @jeepbluetj I hope you have disconnected backups.

Check the link https://www.cvedetails.com/top-50-products.php?year=2018
I won't debate that Mac users belabor under some poor assumptions about security. However, on the list you provided Mac OS X was number 49 out of 50 on the vulnerability list. If that is accurate, then Mac OS X is pretty safe. If I were a bad actor I wouldn't waste my time on hacking Macs. I'd be spending my time on all those Linux servers.

As for Windows 7 low rating, is that because it is now a legacy software? I noticed the Win 10 is much higher on the list.

Jun 14, 2010
I won't debate that Mac users belabor under some poor assumptions about security. However, on the list you provided Mac OS X was number 49 out of 50 on the vulnerability list. If that is accurate, then Mac OS X is pretty safe. If I were a bad actor I wouldn't waste my time on hacking Macs. I'd be spending my time on all those Linux servers.

As for Windows 7 low rating, is that because it is now a legacy software? I noticed the Win 10 is much higher on the list.
If you were a bad actor you'd go where the easy money is. :) That's why email account hijacks and ransomware have exploded. Ransomware is a simple brute stick-up, and involves the use of malware. All it takes is a few vulnerabilities, and ALL software has them, but it IS a numbers game and there is more ransomware exploiting Windows for that reason. There are effective guards against ransomware but (other than effective cloud backup or disconnected local backup) most require professional IT or a knowledgeable technical user to implement. So, every reader should make sure you have such backups, because computers are very effective erasers. If you don't already have such a solution in place, I recommend iDrive.com for individuals or families. If out cruising, and can't do cloud backup it will additionally backup to local disk (in addition to cloud when you have WiFi). I recommend you keep multiple USB disks or large capacity thumb drives (rotate them and keep them disconnected when not doing a backup). There are other good backup solutions.

The lax or uninformed/unwary user is independent of type of software. If the bad actor can hijack a browser session or install a keylogger, or send a successful phishing email they can get an email password. Then they can watch the account and learn what the users' business is, whether they do deals, and with whom. They can watch for months and figure out relationships, then pounce when the context of legitimate business is right. They can use the information to do insider trading, obtain bank logins, or steal corporate data and sell it in the Dark Web; or impersonate the account holder and give instructions to others to wire money (while hiding the other party's responses from the legitimate owner of the account by using mail routing rules without the user's knowledge). I know of deals involving big sums of money that were scammed that way. It could easily involve the deposit or final payment for the sale of a boat or real estate.
In a post above I recommended multi-factor authentication (AKA 2-factor authentication or 2FA) for email accounts to reduce the possibility of a bad actor shadowing your account and stealing your information/identity. 2FA is when you use something you know (a password) AND something you have (e.g. a phone that can receive a text message with a temporary code) so your account can only be accessed by someone who knows your password and has your phone and can unlock it. There is always an alternate way of getting in, or temporarily disabling 2FA for a specific device (your computer), in case you lose your phone.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I won't debate that Mac users belabor under some poor assumptions about security.
Easy there big fella. I get the point, but I don't think it's necessary to paint us all with that brush. :) There's a very good reason that there's a number of Macs in the house, and they ARE as secure as the network and the rest of the stuff that resides on it.

Jun 14, 2010
Easy there big fella. I get the point, but I don't think it's necessary to paint us all with that brush. :) There's a very good reason that there's a number of Macs in the house, and they ARE as secure as the network and the rest of the stuff that resides on it.
You’re a classic case! ;) Do you run antivirus software? Do you have a business class firewall? Do you use a filtered DNS server? How good are your backups? Do you use a web filtering or email filtering proxy service that interrogates links to stop malicious downloads? Do you have IoT devices (e.g smart TV or Camera or thermostat or Alexa or other Home Automation devices, etc.) on the same network?

If your answers is no to any of those things - You’re probably a lot more vulnerable than you think.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Far be it from me to bash Macs. There are 4 sitting in my house now and I can't remember how many I've owned. The first was an SE, then an SE30, a Performa, a couple three laptops, 4 or so iMacs, a G5l and maybe a few more. :biggrin:

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Far be it from me to bash Macs.
I was an "Apple Partner" for software development.

The advent of Apple security began in ≈1986, when their old Pascal based OS via MicroSoft was invaded by the first computer type Virus.

I know a bit about Apple's security procedures. One new one that recently happened is...

Major File System structure overhaul.

That overhaul is causing some frustrations by the Developers of Apps having to catch up. Thus the reasons for iOS devices and app changing. Trust me, it is for the good of all Apple users.

____
The Siri app was running with the following frightening words boldly on the screen
Here is my suggested use of Siri, which I see as a great iPhone mobile app. Siri is available on all Apple devices I own.
1) Read the Apple security declaration for Siri. It is clear and concise.
2) Turn off Siri
3) You can manually ask for a one time Siri web search. This is NOT Google!
4) You can request Siri not share your information with Apple et. al.
5) Turn on Siri, with restrictions, on your mobile device when needed.
6) Purge your web based "cookies" on a periodic basis. Why? Trusted sites like SBO are reaffirmed.

Jim...

PS: Steve Jobs requested that Google or any Google product NOT be part of any new Apple device. Apple still follows that request. Guess Why?

Jan 11, 2014
PS: Steve Jobs requested that Google or any Google product NOT be part of any new Apple device. Apple still follows that request. Guess Why?
Data security.

Apple's business model is based on selling hardware and services not advertising. Since they do not make money by selling ads, they are less motivated to do anything with your data.