Big Brother and SBO

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
And when SIRI tells you there is a traffic jam ahead she knows that because the hundred cell phones in the cars ahead stopped passing cell phone towers ... every phone in every car is being tracked as it pings towers

Sent from my iPhone :beer:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
And when SIRI tells you there is a traffic jam ahead she knows that because the hundred cell phones in the cars ahead stopped passing cell phone towers ... every phone in every car is being tracked as it pings towers

Sent from my iPhone :beer:
So that's how they do that. Thanks!

Isn't it a little early in the day for a :beer:?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Cedar Creek, Bayville NJ
When you open email, you can be tracked. One method mass mailers use is to embed a link to a 1 pixel image that is the same color as the background. When the email is opened the image is retrieved and the sender records the email address, IP address, date, and time the image called. Some may even track the browser or mail program.
Dave,
If you only look at emails in preview only, can they still be tracked using the image method?

Jan 11, 2014
The use of my time, computer access, internet speed, storage space on my device etc.

I am tired of them using my computer, without permission. Period.

Jim...
Jim, I run a small low key website. The attached image shows the number of attacks I've received this month. What the attackers are trying to do is take over my server and use it for some other purpose. Given the timing of the attacks, I suspect the attacks have some nefarious purpose, probably related to the upcoming election.

The marketing folks with their tracking ads are certainly annoying and I do use a blocker that gets most of them. The bigger issue with computer security is the malware that is loaded on to your computer or a website that serves some nefarious purpose. These bots are then remotely controlled without your knowledge that they are even there.

Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 10.03.04 AM.png
More important than ad blockers and anti-tracking software is a good firewall and frequent scans for malware on your computer, especially older windows machines. Lots of folks have used Kaspersky's software including the US Government. This is a Russian company with ties to the Kremlin. https://www.wired.com/story/kaspersky-russia-antivirus/ and https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42202191

Jan 11, 2014
Dave,
If you only look at emails in preview only, can they still be tracked using the image method?
Not sure. However, if you turn off load images then the program won't call for the images and you won't see them. That of course makes for some pretty funky looking email and often the information you want will be in the images that are being blocked.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The bigger issue with computer security is the malware
:plus::plus::plus:
Thus my use of Apple products, networks, servers and software.
The biggest culprit is "bundling", so to speak.

Not to mention a brand name, but they intrude on random basis, shut down your devices temporarily, to assure you are not stealing their service.

There is no such thing as a "FREE APP".
Jim...

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Lots of folks have used Kaspersky's software including the US Government. This is a Russian company with ties to the Kremlin.
Not the first time I've heard that. I've used Bitdefender Total Security (one of several packages they offer) for years. They're a Romanian company, but have always been top rated and I've never heard anything negative about them. Plus, they're very reasonably priced and have outstanding very responsive customer service.

Is that the one where you've misspelled @Peggie Hall HeadMistress ' first name? :biggrin: http://www.nauticalreads.com ?
It does appear that he has.:poke:(that is, until he corrected it while I was typing this post). That does make searching for me a bit more of a challenge than it needs to be, but I've gotten used to it.
--Peggie

Jan 11, 2014
It does appear that he has.:poke:(that is, until he corrected it while I was typing this post). That does make searching for me a bit more of a challenge than it needs to be, but I've gotten used to it.
--Peggie
Peggie, my profound apologies. Proofreading is not one of my strong suites. Back in grad school I had a paper returned obliterated with red ink. The Prof had generally positive comments about my work, however, her parting line was something like, "David, YOU REALLY MUST LEARN TO PROOFREAD!"

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
@Brian D it not the tracking that is necessarily bad, ...
I'm sorry Dave, but ever since the technology has become more advanced, there are many out there who believe that in the best interest of all concerned, we should track everyone. Technology is not necessarily our friend. One cannot go anywhere now without be monitored with some kind of device be it phone or video. Even satellites have the eyes to watch.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
How many pixels do you think just got tracked in those two memes I posted?