C22 New Style "Stormwatch" Purchase and Refit

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
ow will the "recess" drain of the inevitable collection of water?
Good point ! I've been pondering that problem.
It may only need to be approx 1/2 deep. Port tack should drain most of it.
Even then I'm thinking that a gasket around the hatch will help. Then install a louvered vent on the side.
Not 100% prevention but it should be ok.
For corrosion prevention on the bottom of the steel tank, I'm considering using "Rust Bullet", which I've used on automobile frames/suspension when restoring them.

My current home BBQ has a recess, and while it fills with rain water, it's not been a real problem.

The other possible solution I've been pondering, is to have a stainless basket made, and mount it on the aft pulpit near the BBQ. It would fulfill the recommendations of storing cylinders in the open, and allow keeping the hose connected, without it being in the way.

Jul 28, 2018
Catalina 22 TX
I found this thread because I am also looking for a propane tank to fit that locker. The Worthington 281149 1-Gallon is less than 1/2 inch too high - other than that, two would fit side-by-side. I haven't measured an actual tank, but the spec says 11.8", while the locker is 11.5. So close.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
So close.
Yup. Sooo close.
I tested after I got the tank and can confirm that it's approx 1/2" too tall when standing up.

We just spent a week on the boat, and swapped sides for the BBQ and solar panel. That way the panel is away from the dock when in our slip. That also required moving the life ring mount.

As an easier alternative to making round recesses in the fuel locker, I'm now considering mounting it on the starboard stern pulpit rail, under the BBQ, just forward of the stern ladder.

Still undecided.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
god no.
$6 CAD for a 1 lb mini tank vs $8.30 for 5lb refill , you needlessly pollute, and they take up more space.

We just got back from a week on the boat, and we went through 5 mini tanks in 7 days, cooking breakfast and supper.
Mine you we eat well. Sparkling wine, BBQ ribs, steaks, fresh fish, bacon and eggs, omelettes and fried tomatoes etc. :)

Heck if I come up with a clean way to mount a 10lb tank, I'd do that.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
We just got back from a week on the boat, and we went through 5 mini tanks in 7 days, cooking breakfast and supper.
:)
WOW. I don't know how how you do that! Where do you keep the walk-in freezer?? :laugh: We eat pretty well ourselves, and we go through about one pound of propane and eight ounces of butane in a weeks' time, between the stove and the grill.

Regardless ... I'm coming over for the breakfast buffet. And I like my bacon extra crispy. ;)

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Gene, you are hoot!....likewise, we go thru maybe a couple 1#ers in a week (if that) and eat well from the Magma and a bit of butane on the Itwani....I think LR's got a propane outboard and been keepin' that from us, or he has a leak somewhere (certainly hope not!)

LR...over eze and crispy center cut for me btw...

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I found this thread because I am also looking for a propane tank to fit that locker. The Worthington 281149 1-Gallon is less than 1/2 inch too high - other than that, two would fit side-by-side. I haven't measured an actual tank, but the spec says 11.8", while the locker is 11.5. So close.
if it is that close to a fit, why not take it to a machine shop and cut off 1/2" of the top "handle", appears the valve is below that, or I may be missing something...

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
And refillable!
Option A) Have someone fill the big propane tank->fill small tank yourself->fill small tank yourself->….. etc
Option B) Have someone fill tank

While you CAN fill the small disposable tanks with a coupler, it is a PITA in time. Not to mention, you run the risk of damaging the vent/relief valve.

I'd rather spend my time doing something other than filling a bunch of 1lb tanks. Especially I can have a bigger tank filled and be done with it.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
if it is that close to a fit, why not take it to a machine shop and cut off 1/2" of the top "handle", appears the valve is below that, or I may be missing something...
I considered that. Certainly doable. Unfortunately most places here will not fill a tank that has been modified,even if the end user is not an idiot and it was still a safe modification. :(

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
WOW. I don't know how how you do that! Where do you keep the walk-in freezer?? :laugh: We eat pretty well ourselves, and we go through about one pound of propane and eight ounces of butane in a weeks' time, between the stove and the grill.

Regardless ... I'm coming over for the breakfast buffet. And I like my bacon extra crispy. ;)
We rarely use our alcohol stove. So far it is only boiling water for coffee/tea and heating the cabin when it is cold. The cockpit BBQ gets all the use.
I suspect it is partially the propane stove we have.
Our's seems to be either "inferno well done" High , or "damn why is it taking so long" Medium (or "Is this thing on ?" Low).
Between high and medium it is definitely not linear, even with a full 1lb tank, nevermind a partially empty one.

In the interest of hunger I have taken to cranking it up and then opening the lid a lot. A big waste of fuel IMO.

This fall will be a good test of the big tank. Colder outside temps, more wind etc.

You are welcome to come over. Crispy is an easy task. Just like everything else I cook when not paying attention :)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Bye Bye V-Berth Cushions:

We figure that the v-berth on the Catalina 22, as originally designed, is a PITA.
We have to move the damn cushions, and whatever is one them, any time we want to access the storage underneath.
If we want to use the portapottie we have to move the cover panel/cushion. That panel also needs to be stowed someplace else when the portapottie is "ready to go". If the panel is left in place over the pottie, it also makes it harder to reach into the storage under the cushions.
Using it for sleeping is also an uncomfortable PITA.

So our cushions are now safely stored at home, and the v berth is now a storage area.
I bought some thin, industrial rubber matting, which is sold by the foot.

I made it so that each of the 4 locker sections of the v-berth has it's own rubber mat.
The roll rubber was the correct width, to allow the factory cut edge to become a straight seam running from side to side,
where each locker lid ends. That way I don't have to lift the whole thing to get into each locker.

I also cut holes, to match up with the pull holes in the wood locker lids.

44560405521_44a6201a61_o.jpg

When I bought the rubber, I also picked up some SUV/Car cargo nets. They are attached along the side of the hull with the same screws that hold that factory wood trim where the hull liner meets the headliner.

So far, the rubber and netting has prevented whatever is stored in the new "V-Locker" from shifting around on each tack. The lockers below the rubber matting are very easy to access now.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Trust me.. I'm a professional….

If you ever hear that phrase, I suggest you take it with a grain of salt.
Especially when you don't have some first hand experience as to the person's actual skill and attention to detail.

Case in point.
1) The keel system on Stormwatch, was serviced just before we purchased her.
New winch, cable, etc.

2) When sailing her, we occasionally found that the cable seemed to catch on something when being lowered the last few turns. "Clunk… clunk…" then the winch handle went slack as the keel was fully lowered.
3) I'd always felt that the boat was making more leeway than I expected.

On one long 5 hour tack this summer… I decided to have a quick look, while the cable was fully extended.

SURPRISE… the keel was NOT fully down.
The occasional clunk sound was the cable snagging on a nut/bolt protruding into the keel winch drum.
Depending on luck, the cable would temporarily catch.. or not… as it was lowered.
But once lowered enough, it would always catch on the nut/bolt, preventing the keel from lowering fully.

Easy fix… remove the two bolts that secure the end of the cable, and install them correctly, with the rounded heads inside the drum.

30689922788_b0bfc3fd85_o.jpg
Ok… One bolt oriented the correct way…. one more to go.

First the "professionals" at the yard where the previous owners kept their boat, had the flexible furler rigged wrong, now they can't figure out how to install a cable on a winch.

Lesson: There are a lot of VERY talented and skilled professionals out there. But don't assume that ALL the people getting paid to do work, actually have the skill to do the job correctly all the time.
Every shop has apprentices/rookies, who don't have the skill and experience, but are working on customer's boats/cars/houses etc.

Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
I, too, have put the V berth cushions in storage (we never sleep aboard). It is much easier to access things in the V berth area now. I like your rubber mat-- can you give me the source?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Bye Bye V-Berth Cushions:

We figure that the v-berth on the Catalina 22, as originally designed, is a PITA.
We arrived at the same conclusion, for the same reasons.

All I did was paint the locker covers to match the gelcoat. It looks good but does nothing to hold things in place. Amazingly though, stuff never seems to shift around much up there. I wisely credit this to the Admiral, for how well she packs things.;) And I installed a couple padeyes to bungee the Yeti in place, up in the forepeak. Not taking chances with that sucker.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
As far as a propane location - I've been able to tie a 11 lb Worthington tank on the narrow deck outside the stern pulpit, between the starboard foremost stern pulpit rail, and the starboard stern cleat. I keep it in a canvas bucket, with another canvas bucket on top. It works great and stays secure if tied from both top and around the lower bottom. A nice aspect is I'm able to leave the tank lashed there for the whole trip, and the propane hose reaches easily to the propane grill, which I use on the starboard cockpit seat right next to it. When done, just slide the grill into the cockpit lazarette it sits on.