Pop Top Gas Lift for Catalina 22 New Design.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Catalina 22 Pop Top Lift Assist

I finally installed a gas spring based lift assist system for the Pop top on our ’87 C22.

Catalina Direct has made a kit for years, and recently @$tingy Sailor has started selling a similar kit at a better price than CD with optional stainless ends on the gas springs (instead of the common composite plastic ones).

I did not use a kit. I just bought the parts and mounted them.

First task was measuring the pop top to determine what length gas spring I needed.
Since the pop top lift has been around for years, I also searched the web for and consulted a couple other C22 owners who had the original CD lift kit installed.

Based on my measurements, with the pop top up, and the support arms vertical, a gas spring of 15 inches. + brackets should work.

Based on information from C22 owners, their gas springs are compressed to approximately 12 inches when their pop top is down.

The Catalina 25 forums has an old thread about the kit, and one sailor posted information on the gas springs used at that time. (CD no longer uses these brand springs, but the specs are what is relevant. While these specs are for the C25, they also apply to the C22)

Harco group model: GSB-15V-120
Extended Length: 15”
Stroke: 5.5”
Force: 120 lb.
Rod and Tube DIA: 8mmX18mm
Plastic End Fitting with Spring Clip

OK.. So that extended length, and compressed length, matches what I actually measured, and confirmed with others. The important info, is they used 120lb force.

All the info matched, so I was 95% confident which springs are needed.

Only 95% ?

Well, there are a few more possibilities and questions…..

Most of the gas springs you see have a Black Nitride coating, but for marine use, stainless steel is obviously the better option.

The problem is finding a stainless steel gas spring that is a reasonable price.
Forget about getting a deal for one that came through a marine product distribution network.
(I swear that a single oreo cookie would sell for $10 if they put “marine” on it)

I contacted a few wholesalers that also sell a couple gas springs + hardware to the public.

LS Technologies http://lstechnologies.ca/ had the best prices for, in my opinion, top quality custom gas springs. Custom stainless, with locking function and custom lift force., for the price that most online retailers, are selling off the shelf stainless springs.

Being a bit of a nerd, I wasn’t 100% sure that typical off the shelf 120lb springs were the best option, and I liked the idea of being able to have them made to exactly the strength I wanted.

The problem is that I had never tried a pop top with one of the kits installed.
Is 120lbs too much ? Would the perfect force 100lbs ? 140 ?

So I decided to order some cheaper off-the-shelf 120 lb black nitride springs, stainless ends, and stainless brackets, from www.IndustrialHardwareDirect.com

4 Only LEF-D Stainless End Fittings $9.00 ea
2 Only LPB12S Stainless Brackets $4.00 ea
2 Only LPB15B Stainless Brackets $4.75 ea
4 Only LSC10 Locking Clips $0.30 ea
2 Only LGP8-150-120 Black Nitride 15” extended length, 120lb force, 8mm Rod, Gas Springs $12.00 ea

Total Price as of June 2018 was $78.70 + $10 shipping
If I wanted to just use the typical composite end fitttings, the parts would have been $42.70 + $10 shipping.

Harco Group's http://www.harco-group.com pricing would have been even cheaper, but they didn't have one of the stainless brackets. Their stainless end fittings are 1/3 of the price @ $3 ea and their Black Nitride springs are $10 each

The stainless end fittings were higher priced that I had seen from other suppliers, but I figured I may as well order them all from the same place. I didn’t want to wait any longer to get this installed.

The good thing here, is that the Black Nitride gas springs are $12 each. Therefore, if I eventually switch them to stainless steel with a custom force, I’m not wasting much money. The brackets and end fittings would be reused.

The interesting thing is, the website lists Stainless Springs LGP8S-150-120 for just $25 each ! :D
Unfortunately, when I tried to order them I was told they were discontinued. :(

How do the end fittings work ?

The gas springs I ordered, came with composite fittings on them.
I ordered stainless steel ones, and locking clips, to use instead.
Unlike composite ends, stainless ones don’t usually have built in clips to keep them on the brackets’ ball mount pin

Gas springs normally allow various end fittings to be threaded on.
To change them, you simply thread the old fitting off, and thread the new one on.

This is great if you want to upgrade the fittings, or simply replace broken ones.
All you need to do is make sure the end fittings have the same threads, and are the same length.

End Fittings examples: Stainless +Clip, Composite with clip, standard composite with integral clip.

EndFittings.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Catalina 22 Pop Top Lift Assist Part 3 Post Install Ideas

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017
NorthStar 22 Catalina 22 (under restoration) Lake Red Rock
Looking forward to the rest of this post as this project is on my to do list!