Trivia that moves you to share

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Well all these bivalves are filter feeders, that includes clams, oysters, mussels AND Coquina. Coquina was a staple of the Atlantic coast native Americans, simmered in seawater for protein and flavor with vegetables added. It would take a couple of pounds of Coquina to make a meal.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
'Round here we're looking at Goose poop as being a major source of coliform bacteria. There's been arguments going for decades as to whether the coliform are from septic systems and marine holding tanks or from animal waste. The sides lined up predictably. Finally the politicos decided to test it. So they are embarking on a DNA survey of the little critters. I applaud this although I remain suspicious of government "Studies" and consultants. I am sure of one thing. After a gully washing rain the bay is cloudy for a few days. There's a lot of runoff going in there. We also have significant agriculture, some husbandry, golf courses and a lot of homeowners who like green lawns.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
There’s another invasive species - resident Canadian Geese. They came, they saw, they stayed. Too damn lazy to fly anywhere beyond the neighbors yard. Roast goose is delicious. Eat mo’ goose!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
A little trivia:
In Vermont, near Burlington, is Shelburne Pond. It is one of the only, if not the only place in Vermont that the northern water snake lives. It sits in a bowl surrounded by farms. Everything the farmers pour on their fields ends up in the pond. The high nitrate runoff has caused an intense algae blume and it looks like this

The whole pond is bright florescent green.
And yet, it is teaming with life.

The algae waxes and wanes but it is always green and the worst on the leeward side. There are cliffs and woods and turtles and people actually fish in it.
We kayak there. Other than the disconcerting color the pond is large and beautiful. My son and wife and I went swimming in it where the algae was some of the thickest and greenest.
Go ahead, ask.
"Why? Why Will? Why would you want to swim in that water?"
That's a good question and the answer is, Linda was trying to take a picture of a baby turtle with her new Olympus waterproof camera when she leaned over too far and fell in. Thus, my wife went swimming in that water.
"Ok, I get it. But, why would you and your son join her?"
Another good question, since we were in seperate kayaks and she had recovered and gotten her boat bailed and was back in it by the time we found her.
Linda dropped her camera in the water when she went over and made both of us get in and look for it. We could barely stand on a tangle of submerged branches 5' below the surface and the bottom went down from there, so, NO! WE DID NOT FIND THE G(BLEEP)AMN F(BEEEEEEEEEEEEP)IN' CAMERA!

- Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There’s another invasive species - resident Canadian Geese. They came, they saw, they stayed. Too damn lazy to fly anywhere beyond the neighbors yard. Roast goose is delicious. Eat mo’ goose!
A local guy hunts them and swears the meat from the breast is as good as steak if prepared properly. I haven't had it yet but there needs to be a way to control the population numbers. It's very appealing to see the families swimming by my boat slip every spring. But there are more and more, and more and more, and it never stops. They just keep multiplying and multiplying and there're no predators. And they crap non-stop.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There’s another invasive species - resident Canadian Geese. They came, they saw, they stayed.
Are they still an invasive species of they get there naturally and on their own?
Or does any species migration count as invasive of it was done after mankind has mapped, cataloged and declared the area static?

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Are they still an invasive species of they get there naturally and on their own?
Or does any species migration count as invasive of it was done after mankind has mapped, cataloged and declared the area static?
They stopped migrating. Or perhaps another way of putting it, they don't migrate as far as they once did. Some don't fly as far north in the spring, some don't fly as far south in the fall. Farm fields and open water keep them hanging around. They land in corn fields and eat the corn that wasn't harvested.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
They stopped migrating. Or perhaps another way of putting it, they don't migrate as far as they once did. Some don't fly as far north in the spring, some don't fly as far south in the fall. Farm fields and open water keep them hanging around. They land in corn fields and eat the corn that wasn't harvested.
And crap a lot.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
...So let us broaden the focus. I have a 5 hour flight to visit the land of The Palmetto and the @Kermit and I look forward to challenging my mind as it is a terrible thing to waste.
It looks like I’m pretty late to this party. “Sorry about that, Chief.”
My first trivia contribution: We named our boat Palmetto Moon because of our state flag. But if we named it for what the flag truly is intended to be we would have named it Palmetto Gorget.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
if we named it for what the flag truly is intended to be we would have named it Palmetto Gorget.

how very interesting. I looked it up.
It is basically French for women's throat wear (medieval) or throat armor (South Carolina infantry)
- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I find this interesting that people from around the country have this issue.
We started out sailing on a small inland lake, Grand Lake St. Marys, here in ohio, this lake was dug as a feeder for the Erie Canal- back in the mid 1800's, by hand, and is shallow (10') at deepest, and is surrounded by FARM fields, hence pigs,cows and Geese!.The lake has been named the most polluted in the state of Ohio-Nice :yikes:, without getting to graphic it is the same color green, sometimes black-blue green, bubbling black with the smell of methane.
Great Lake Erie-One of our countrys Great Lakes-in the western basin-starts getting that lovely shade of green about August-Now again imagine a GREAT LAKE like that-the State of Ohio has been kicking Grand Lake St Marys around and around but not gotten serious about stopping farm runoff and that along with the phosphates and Goose crap on a smaller extent has led to Lake Eries problem.
Maybe someone should forward this to Scott Pruitts replacement so something can get serious on the federal level, on the State level we will get a new Governor as of January, 2019, I am holding out hope!
If you get bored-google grand lake st marys pollution!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We learned

First flag. Blue with the Gorget.
Second flag. Blue the Gorget and the word LIBERTY

Then the Blue the Gorget and the Palmetto Tree

Courtesy of Mary Helen. Of the Two Sister guides in Charleston.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
I find this interesting that people from around the country have this issue.
We started out sailing on a small inland lake, Grand Lake St. Marys, here in ohio, this lake was dug as a feeder for the Erie Canal- back in the mid 1800's, by hand, and is shallow (10') at deepest
This caught me by surprise. Why would anyone build a pond in Ohio to feed the Erie Canal. We all know the Erie Canal is in NY! Turns out Ohio has an imposter, the Miami-Erie Canal. I assume that the canal goes from Lake Erie to Miami OH and not Miami, FL. :biggrin:

Jan 11, 2014
We learned

First flag. Blue with the Gorget.
Second flag. Blue the Gorget and the word LIBERTY

Then the Blue the Gorget and the Palmetto Tree

Courtesy of Mary Helen. Of the Two Sister guides in Charleston.
Good, 2 different guides told the same story! Remarkable.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Good, 2 different guides told the same story! Remarkable.
That is remarkable. I asked our local historian why I’m having trouble finding the exact history of the evolution of our flag. His answer was that no one knows the absolute 100% historical true progression of its design. My feeling is eventually the historical evidence of the crescent being a gorget will eventually be lost. But I’ll be long dead before that happens. For now Palmetto Moon suits us just fine.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
We actually used a different guide, the sisters were booked. Our guide is married to a 13th generation Middleton.

One thing that struck me was the absence of Confederate tourist crap. My mother's family is from Greenville, SC and when we would visit every where you went there were Confederate flags, fake Confederate money, statues of Lee, and all sorts of whatnot. Haven't seen any of that so far.

The best quote I heard is allegedly from the Governor of SC at the time of succession, "South Carolina is too small to be a republic and too big to be an insane assylum."