Changing Fuel Filters

Sep 3, 2012
Catalina 310 Marina del Rey, CA
I installed a fuel shut off valve in the engine well. I used a brass ball valve purchased at a hardware store. I placed it on the bulkhead below the racor filter. I placed it so that the handle will interfere with shutting the engine cover so if I can't forget to turn the valve on. Cloyd Milton

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
The boat is scheduled to go back in the water next week. On my list of things to do once back in is to change out all the fuel filters, I'm hoping this goes better than changing the engine coolant last fall. Sounds like its a self bleeding system, remove a filter and replace. I have three filters, is it better to do one at a time? Any other tips? Thanks

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Do them all at once. Wait till your back safely in your slip. If you crank >45 seconds remember to either drain the muffler or turn off the raw water intake until it starts.

Les

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I have three filters, is it better to do one at a time?
It is always better to do only ONE thing at a time.
Why?
'Cuz unless you do it that way, if something goes snafu you won't know which one is the culprit.
Do a filter change, start engine, run for a bit, even in gear in the slip, confirm OK operation, shut down, do the next filter.
By three, do you mean two fuel and one oil?
Your M25XPB should be self-bleeding, if that is the engine you have.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Do them all at once. Wait till your back safely in your slip. If you crank >45 seconds remember to either drain the muffler or turn off the raw water intake until it starts.

Les
Leslie, with the 25XPB you can run the lift pump to purge the filters without having to crank the engine by turning the ignition switch all the way (normally glow plug position). But you're right about draining the muffler or shutting off the raw water intake if cranking for very long (or being cranky for too long ;)).

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
It is always better to do only ONE thing at a time.
Why?
'Cuz unless you do it that way, if something goes snafu you won't know which one is the culprit.
Do a filter change, start engine, run for a bit, even in gear in the slip, confirm OK operation, shut down, do the next filter.
By three, do you mean two fuel and one oil?
Your M25XPB should be self-bleeding, if that is the engine you have.
Good luck.
Three fuel filters, one at the water separator, one large spin on and a smaller one. Looks like that's what I got in my parts bin ;-)

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
I am not at the boat, but it is a 25xpb
There is the racor filter with water separator, spin on fuel filter part # 298854 and another little filter part # 048076
I have not done this yet, just gathered my parts off the Spare Parts Kit "A" that came with the boat. I figured since I'd be using the spare parts that came with the boat, I ordered another set of filters. Maybe I bought parts that my 25xpb doesn't need ;-) I'll find out soon enough LOL.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Yes, filter part # 048076 is listed in the parts kits but wasn't actually installed on most. It goes on the electric fuel lift pump. And doesn't make much sense to me. Why have such a small filter inbetin be the Racor and the on engine 2 micron. It just asks for a clogging problem in my mind.

I run a 10 micron in the Racor (well try to, they are hard to find down here and often end up with 2 microns because of availability). The proper way to do a maintenance on the filters would be to drain one, change it, fill it, turn the key forward for 30 seconds and then start the engine and make sure everything is ok. Then do the on engine filter the same way. Admittedly I often do both at the same time to same some time.

I will often crack the bleeder valve at the engine. I know it's not truely necessary but just to ensure good flow and no air issues. But I installed a second fuel lift pump with a switch. In the engine area. So the whole process is easy and quick.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Yes, filter part # 048076 is listed in the parts kits but wasn't actually installed on most. It goes on the electric fuel lift pump. And doesn't make much sense to me. Why have such a small filter inbetin be the Racor and the on engine 2 micron. It just asks for a clogging problem in my mind.
True. And many boats were delivered with the fuel system plumbed incorrectly:

tank>>fuel pump>>Racor

when it should be

tank>>Racor>>fuel pump

The fuel pump has a small screen at the bottom (if it's one of those round Facets. Later M35 engines had the fuel pump mounted on the engine and it was a small square silver box-looking thing.

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
Mark: Suggest you look at installing a brass quarter turn shutoff valve just in front of the Racor or if the fuel line is still flexible use a chanel-lock to shut off the fuel. There was a short article with a picture in a way-back issue of Mainsheet on the shutoff valve. I did it and it is a very simple installation.

Apr 17, 2013
Catalina 310 57 Pompano Beach, FL
Thanks for the advice, that would definitely make it easier then crawling into the port locker.

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
Happy to report this was one of the simpler things I've done. There is a 1/4 turn valve on the tank outlet which was labeled as well as the return being labeled. Closed the valve, removed the Racor filter, replaced the racor. Loosened the screw on filter on the motor, opened valve and let racor fill. Closed valve, replaced screw on filter and small filter on lift pump. Open valve, held key on glow plug for 30 seconds, took maybe 10 seconds of cranking before she fired off.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@CTS Congrats you can now call yourself a member of the BMW FILTER CHANGING BRIGADE.

BMW= boat marine worker. :biggrin: