Navigation Channel Markers

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
When boating and sailing when it is required to be in the channel markers and when is it appropriate to go across them or simply tack in la la land going anywhere the centerboard fits.

I sail in a narrow river that is mostly used as a necessary evil to get to other better recreational boating areas and there is a marked channel. I can sail in 3/4 of the width of the river, and the channel takes up about a 1/8 of the river's width. I don't see where there is a requirement to use the channels. I can see that I have no business in the ship channel should I ever make it out that far and understand I should cross that perpendicular to traffic if clear". Is it notated on the chart that permits some boats to be in the channel/shipping lanes? When I sailed under a bridge once I used the channel, but if I can fit in other locations should I to stay out of the channel for power boaters?

Thanks!

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
no requirement to use the channel, sometimes it is best not to be in the channel like when a big ship is coming down the channel, you stay in the shallow water, he can't hit you even if he wanted to.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Channel markers show where the deep water is. No requirement for a small boat to stay in the channel. However, if you are in a channel it is best to be on the correct side if there are boats with restricted maneuverability, i.e., big commercial boats.

Pay attention to the various crossing and overtaking rules too.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
You are required to be in the channel when you want your insurance company to cover you without kicking up a fuss after you run aground.

In a H170, with a swing keel & kick up rudder, that probably doesn't carry insurance anyway, I would not worry about staying in the channel if you think you have good water outside of it.

Also, the channel is not for "power boaters". It is for vessels restrained by draft. Power boaters can also go outside of the markers if they want to.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
The channel as marked by the USCG is the only navigable water in the area, per them. That being said it is not the only water one can utilize. I learned this in an in depth discussion as to why they would not clear a tree that was playing havoc with local boaters which was probably about 150 feet outside the channel. They don't have to keep any area clear except the navigable water which is defined by the channel markers. You may use any part of the river including the channel. You may sail at any angle to the channel. You may not interfere with traffic when you are crossing the channel, as all traffic in the channel that is following the channels direction has right of way. If you happen to be under sail and running or fetching in the same direction as the channel then you have right of way over a boat using machinery. You should always refer to the rule of tonnage though. Really big ships can not maneuver or stop in any reasonable period of time so you may wind up a dead guy who had the right of way. Right of way is actually an inappropriate term. Vessels are either stand on or give way. The only right everyone has is the right to avoid a collision at any cost. Read and understand the (ColRegs) Navigation Rules and Regulations Handbook. You can get them here.
http://navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=NavRulesAmalgamated

Hope this helps.

Jan 11, 2014
If you happen to be under sail and running or fetching in the same direction as the channel then you have right of way over a boat using machinery. You should always refer to the rule of tonnage though. Really big ships can not maneuver or stop in any reasonable period of time so you may wind up a dead guy who had the right of way.
Boats restricted in their ability to maneuver are not give way vessels. When encountering such a vessel, even in a sail boat, the sailboat must give way. Recreational fishing boats while in the act of fishing are not vessels restricted in their ability to maneuver.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
When I was a kid, about 9 or 10, I saw a skiff race across a grass flat between channels. I asked my father why he didn't get in trouble. When I was told there was no requirement to stay in the channel, I felt like a whole new world of possibilities had opened for me and my pram.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 16, 2017
Boats restricted in their ability to maneuver are not give way vessels. When encountering such a vessel, even in a sail boat, the sailboat must give way. Recreational fishing boats while in the act of fishing are not vessels restricted in their ability to maneuver.
They'll still swear at you to keep distance if they are fishing a bait ball.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Once I was stuck behind six teenage girls on paddle boards in the Annisquam River channel. It was near high tide and the narrow channel is like a snake. There was plenty of space on either side for shallow craft. These girl's paddle boards drew maybe four inches but they stuck to the channel blocking all traffic. Power boaters usually behave the same way no matter how little water they draw.

Apr 16, 2017
Thank you all. Ill take a look at the link.
My resolution should be to take a local coast guard course as i look for more interesting sail areas.

Jan 11, 2014
They'll still swear at you to keep distance if they are fishing a bait ball.
I never said fishermen were polite.

More than a few years ago, we were racing a C&C 29 across Lake Ontario. We were running downwind in about 20 knots with a spinnaker up and trying not to death roll. About 4 miles off shore there is a lone fisherman in an 14 ft aluminum boat trolling for salmon with a flat line, i.e. an unweighted lure, about 100 feet off his stern. He was on a path to cross our bow by not that much. We yelled, sounded a horn, and carried on trying to get his attention. He just kept coming, trolling his line. Fortunately we were able to pass his stern. A little while later I looked back and there was his lure popping out of the water 30 or so feet behind us.

A few years ago, while bringing my boat up the Oswego Canal, we are in a very narrow section between locks. The mast is down and we're motoring between locks. A guy fishing on shore casts out across the canal about 50 ft in front of my moving boat. He then yells at me for not stopping and running over his line.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
As a kayaker/canoer in the rivers and lakes around NE. I hear fishermen yelling about scaring away their fish when I paddle by. As a fisherman, I know the fish move aside, but come right back in, when I paddle by.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, my father ran 65' diesel catamarans to take 50 people fishing on the gulf coast of Florida. On a weekend off season private trip he took friends and family through the Okeechobee Waterway. When he came around a corner he saw an old fisherman sitting on the bank. He pulled back on the throttle to coast past. The old guy waved from his folding chair and my Old Man waved back through the window of the raised pilothouse about 2 stories above the water. Then, he looked astern and saw that huge wake he had been throwing catching up with him.
He still talks about how bad he felt watching that guy's bucket, tacklebox, chair, stringer of fish, and himself get swamped in three feet of water.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I once swamped a truck parked on the beach with 38' Chris Craft. Same deal waved then waved back coming out of a bayou around a spit throttled back but made it worse. Felt bad but we still laugh when we talk about it. If he had only had his doors closed.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Back in 2012, I sailed a swing keel Magregor 22 into Ocracoke Island. The channel into silver lake bay is narrow so I rolled up the keel and started the outboard... about half way in a big ferry started pushing out... so I got out of her way by edging out of the channel to starboard. A few minutes later I get a frantic call on my VHF from the ferry captain ordering me to veer sharp to port... So I complied and moved all of the way out of the channel to port... and the captain got on the VHF again and this time was more frantic... "Little sailboat.... little sailboat.... you are out of the channel again". He was worried I was about to run aground. I just wanted to be completely out of his way. Nice of the guy to worry about me and I felt bad I had alarmed him. He could not have known I had a swing keel. I radioed back... "I'm drawing 4", my keel is up. What side would you prefer I pass" He replied.... "Roger... pass to port". How did he know my name was Roger? :)

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
you had all of lake ontario. only one fish boat in sight and you ran over the guys fishing gear. DUDE, that was rude.

Jan 11, 2014
you had all of lake ontario. only one fish boat in sight and you ran over the guys fishing gear. DUDE, that was rude.
Have you ever run dead downwind in gusty 20+ knot winds with a spinnaker up? Avoiding him would have required 2 jibes, all the other guy had to do was slow down, stop for a minute, or make a slight course correction. He too had all of Lake Ontario

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
Have you ever run dead downwind in gusty 20+ knot winds with a spinnaker up?

yes, many times. while doing such i am in full command of my vessel and can maneuver as i please.
i stand by my statement

he's going like 2 mph and your going like 6 mph. this developed very slowly. did not need to happen

Jan 11, 2014
he's going like 2 mph and your going like 6 mph. this developed very slowly. did not need to happen
Right, this did not need to happen. We were doing more like 7+ and surfing, he was doing 2 knots motoring. He was the give way vessel, and he did not give way. He lost a lot of line and a lure. We were more restricted than he was. His lure was 100 or more feet behind his boat and we still snagged it. He was wrong for not giving way.