Plexiglass windows for Albin Vega?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
How does the tape look up close?
Invisible! :)

Painting would have been a waste of time. Looking through the dark tinted plexi, the gray tape appears just as black as the silicone. You can't see where one starts and the other ends, no matter how closely you look.

It's hard to photograph, but here's the forward edge of the saloon window. You can see where it has not yet been caulked from the inside, but the tape and the outside caulk are indistinguishable from one another.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Do search in the oday forum under replacing windows for details.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Gene,
I think gloss black Rustoleum will do the trick, no sanding required. We shall see...
Dont use gloss. Let the surface of the plexi be the shiny part, because you want the black background to have no reflective to it...

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Invisible! :)

Painting would have been a waste of time. Looking through the dark tinted plexi, the gray tape appears just as black as the silicone. You can't see where one starts and the other ends, no matter how closely you look.

It's hard to photograph, but here's the bottom edge of the saloon window:
Awesome Gene! I think because the Plexi is 1/4" thick it really helps smoke out the tape. Is your 3M tape black or grey in color? Either way, you hit this one out of the park...

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Awesome Gene! I think because the Plexi is 1/4" thick it really helps smoke out the tape. Is your 3M tape black or grey in color? Either way, you hit this one out of the park...
Thanks, Luke! I owe a lot of it to you though, and others here who helped out. By the way, that disc sander you encouraged me to buy for the last project came in very handy for this one. I rough-cut the plexi pieces with a jigsaw, then fine-tuned them with the disc sander. Easy peasy.

The tape was/is gray. I was not expecting it to disappear 100%, but it sure did.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Why not just sand the perimeter of the window, so it is like frosted and you can't see through that anyway.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Looks great - nice job!

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
Those turned out really nice! Really Nice! I did my rear ones on my Tanzer last spring. I used the Rustoleum black made for plastic and allowed a visible black border to extend into the port opening approx. 1/4". Looks factory fresh. Agree with needing to tape really well to prevent a mess.

Yours turned out really nice. Takes years off any boat.

JerryA

Feb 24, 2013
Coronado C25 San Pedro, CA
I was thinking of the tape and the 795 for my Coronado 25 but when I walk on the deck it looks like the side walls where the portlights go flex a bit, I wonder if that method would stay sealed as the Aluminum frames do. any input would be helpful...

Apr 17, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Kemah
Pretty sure we used 3/8 inch. I will check with calipers tomorrow. Here is a link to prior post with photos & procedures. The use of the automotive paint to block out/hide the 3M tape and the Dow sealant makes it look so perfect & professional.

Looking for Advice on Fixed Portal & Headliner Replacement
Doug,
You and I have corresponded in the past and your advice for my Beneteau First 38 has always been spot on.
The deadlights on my First 38 are leaking badly, and one of them is cracked (and filled with what looks like transparent Sika). The other is completely white (burnt by the sun, I presume), and none of the headlight restoration methods have cleared it up).
What would you recommend I do? I keep putting this project off and water keeps coming in the boat. Have you replaced the deadlights? If so, what material did you use, where did you buy it, did you cut it yourself or had it fabricated, how did you install it?
As always, I will be grateful for your advice.
JM