Newbe purchased #14612 this week.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Christmas in September! Hyde Sails just sent tracking number for new main. Shows I will have it Friday. We will put her to use Saturday!

I also ordered 200' of 5/16 XLS off Amazon for $110. Going to start replacing sheets and halyards.

What method do you guys use to attach new line to old for feeding new halyard up and over mast top?

Lane

I just melt the ends together with a blowtorch and pull 'em through.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I've taken some thin wire and wrapped it tightly around both rope ends, then wrapped the wire with electrical tape and put a little liquid soap on the tape for lube and just pulled them through. It may be overkill but it beats trying to fish one out of the mast.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
I got my new Hyde main sail in this past week. We went down Saturday and installed/sailed. I love the quality. I also like the loose foot. However, they affixed the wrong sail number. An aggravating mistake by the loft. Order confirmation was correct.

We are experiencing a tough time raising and lowering main. Old sail suffered same issue. To get sail down I have to pull on luff with all my might. Do you guys lube slides? Mine seem to bind up. Also mast gates will be ordered this week. That darn slot has aggravated me for the last time

Lane

Sep 30, 2013
I finally broke down and bought some McLube recently, but haven't gotten around to using it yet. Everybody says it's great stuff. My main doesn't bind as bad as yours sounds like it does, but it's far from smooth.

Are you getting your gates from Mastgates.com? If so, your aggravation is at an end! We love ours. :)

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Those look fine to me. Do you know the specs on what gates the Catalina needs? Having the boat so far away is making the restoration tough. Need a trailer!

Lane

Sep 30, 2013
I can't remember now, but odds are he'll know exactly what you need, just tell him 'new design C22'. I forget the guy's name, but he's super nice, helpful and knowledgeable. This is what your mast profile looks like, if you need it:

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
His name is Tom Luque. He's a real nice guy and a personal friend of mine now. I did a review of two of his mast gate designs on my blog back in July: the external hinged style and his new internal tube style. Both have their advantages, which I explain in the review.

I can say from experience after having made my own mast gates with knobs, that the knobs are the biggest weakness of that design. The original knobs were taller and the luff bolt rope caught on them frequently. I replaced them with shorter, knurled brass knobs and they don't catch as often but I also can't get as good a grip on them to tighten them as much as I'd like either.

Tom's mast gates are the best and fastest solution.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
I've got a call in to him. Hopefully I can get them ordered today. Thanks guys.

Lane

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
congrats on the purchase!

for the "sticky" main I bought some gun clean pads (for shotgun) and used that and a good cleaner to run up and down the slot in the mast (mast was down). it was amazing the gunk that came out of there!!! then I used soap and water to clean the sail slugs, one at a time. after all was dry I liberally applied silicone lubricant to each slug and up the length of the slot. I have never used mcclube but my main raises with ease and completely falls when I toss the halyard.

the tethered mast gats from mastgates.com are AWESOME!! it takes less time to set them than it used to take to use a slug stop!

Sep 30, 2013
His name is Tom Luque. He's a real nice guy and a personal friend of mine now.

That's him. Definitely a class act. I got an email from him a year after I bought my gates, just checking in to make sure everything was still working well. Who else does that??

I always loved the look of his "internal tethered" gates, but it wasn't available in my (our) mast profile. But "external tethered" is a great alternative that I continue to appreciate more as time goes by. You can open and close the gates in about one second.

I too had DIY gates with thumb screws on my old boat. The PO had made them out of aluminum carpet threshold. They looked fine and worked fine, but took much longer to open and close, and it wasn't long before one of them went overboard.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
What method do you guys use to attach new line to old for feeding new halyard up and over mast top?

Lane
Lane,

We used some zip ties woven through the Dual braid, and a section of para-cord tied between the old and new halyard. fed through like butter.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Progress continues on 14612. Last week I broke out some Mahogany plywood I had in the aircraft shop and fabricated a missing V birth board.

While at it I purchased some lauan and made a replacement for a rotten bilge hatch and a top for my new 48 quart cooler. Cooler fits perfectly and aids in moving between cockpit and cabin.

The guys around the airport were fascinated with the simulated deck pattern. I also did some dangerous Amazon shopping. The results were a new jukebox with bluetooth installed.

After installation it was discovered that one of the aft speakers was frozen up so the wife and I scooted over to West Marine for two replacement speakers. Now Bob Marley is sailing with us!

I also purchased a few snap shackles. Primary reason was to make boom vang easier to reposition for pop top use.

I also purchased 200' of XLS so I can start replacing my running rigging.

With the help of you guys and Stingy Sailor I opted for the hinged mast gates. My days of sailing have been frustrated by hard to raise main and dropped slugs. This Saturday we fix all that!

Probably the biggest mod this week is the NEW MAIN SAIL! I give a round of applause to Judy and David with Hyde Sails. These guys rock and this sail is marvelous.

Only one problem :[ They got the wrong number on the sail. David says he is sending me two "6"'s to replace the "0"'s. Hope they stick good.

Nevertheless I think this smile says it all!

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Friday, after the high school ball game we spent the night on the boat. Saturday we installed mast gates, lubed sail slot, relocated depth sounder to bulkhead and installed new halyards and sheets. Then we went for a sail!

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
I thought you guys would enjoy seeing my sail track lube tool. It took about 60 seconds to rig this contraption but it worked great! I used two discarded sail slugs and some wire ties. I have a video which I will try to post a link to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMJ-EiFwY3k