Vestas 11th Hour Racing in collision.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The fishing boat sank. All 10 fishermen aboard were recovered but one later died at the hospital.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Volvo has got to be rethinking their sponsorship of this disaster.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
One would think that after running the boat onto a well charted reef the Vestus organization would have tossed the whole crew and got a group of sailors who had some competency. Apparently not.
There's nothing about that race that is worth even one innocent person's life (not talking crew here; they knew the risks) and perhaps it's about time they just fold that race into the record books as a bad idea, start to finish.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Well, at least they didn't collide with a US Naval Vessel!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'll bet that crew was exhausted, running on little or no sleep, probably true for most of the race committee and, at that time of day, the fishermen were not at their best. How sad to have that as your final memories of the race.

My condolences go out to the family and friends of the fisherman who died.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
This was not the same skipper and crew which ran Vestas 2014 up on that Indian Ocean reef. All the same, if the Volvo race committee can’t get better organized and manage their course, good riddance.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Let the armchair sailing begin. Love all the expert opinions so far. Must be awesome to be so knowledgeable and wise that you know what happened and what the cause is even before the investigation is only a day of two in.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Let the armchair sailing begin. Love all the expert opinions so far. Must be awesome to be so knowledgeable and wise that you know what happened and what the cause is even before the investigation is only a day of two in.
What happened; SOMEONE DIED!
The cause: Perhaps it had a tiny bit to do with sailing into one of the world's busiest harbors in the dark @ 20 knots!
Not really too much speculation, if those are indeed the facts!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I did speculate that the crew, the committee and the fisherman were probably tired. I had just listened to an NPR program where an author has just released a new book based on his research into human performance that is timing based. The book is called "When". The author talks about when the best performances can be expected and when the worst times are.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 29, 2010
The cause: Perhaps it had a tiny bit to do with sailing into one of the world's busiest harbors in the dark @ 20 knots!
Your own statement confirms my point.

Jun 29, 2010
Also, the assumption that Vested is at fault, yes they of course share blame as they did collide but, the fishing vessel could have been in some sort of violation. See, that's my point. We simply do not know so any speculation at this point is just not constructive. Wait for more information and statements from the investigators and those involved.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
I did speculate that the crew, the committee and the fisherman were probably tired. I had just listened to an NPR program where an author has just released a new book based on his research into human performance that is timing based. The book is called "When". The author talks about when the best performances can be expected and when the worst times are.

- Will (Dragonfly)
I think there is little doubt that every member of every crew on races like this are operating on the edge of extreme fatigue at all times. I can't imagine anyone is getting much sleep on these races aboard hollow, lightweight tubes crashing across the ocean at speeds around 20 knots, for days at a time.
I read about some studies into the physiology of these Volvo racers, and it was speculated that they were performing almost super human feats of endurance, like mountain climbers, but for much more extended periods. It was fascinating reading.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
A race approach to a busy international port known for it’s fishing grounds, what could go wrong? You can bet there will be poorly lit or un lit fishing boats! A prudent cruising captain would stay off and make a daylight approach, or slowly pick his way in matching speed to hazard. And that is the point - what is it about sailboat racers that would lead to a decision to careen through at 20 knots? Recklessness. The race committee would have known all of this and yet decided not to take proper safety precautions. They got a Chinese national killed. A working waterman is dead at the hands of some careless sailboat racers. So however the blame is assigned, none of it is good for the Volvo Ocean Race.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
I've been to HK and I am pretty sure I know what happened. Fishermen, who in that area are mostly old people as the young don't want any part of that lifestyle, most likely were in a Panga without lights trolling for fish. I bet all but one at the helm was asleep. When they colided, the Panga was flipped over due to the speed of the bigger sailboat causing it to sink. In my opinion, all 3 parties are at a fault including the race committee for picking HK as a destination. Not a smart decision.

When sailing into foreign ports, one has to understand the local culture. In HK and many places around the world, fishing boats do not have lights on them. The people can't afford lights and they do not pay much attention. They also do not understand the colregs, never even heard of them. They do not understand that a sailboat is stand on vessel. Sailors are constantly running over local fisherman at night killing them. When entering ports I keep lookout with a spot light.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
A prudent cruising captain would stay off and make a daylight approach, or slowly pick his way in matching speed to hazard.
No serious racer would do that. As cb says, it is all speculation at this point. That doesn't mean it isn't worth speculating, just keep it in mind that that's all it is, for now.
I also don't remember reading about anybody's concerns about the race ending in a busy fishing port when the race started. Somethings aren't as obvious at the start as they are in retrospect. Let me revise that, NOTHING is as obvious at the start as it is in retrospect.
The retrospectrometer is renowned for its clarity of vision.:wink:

- Will (Dragonfly)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
They also do not understand the colregs, never even heard of them. They do not understand that a sailboat is stand on vessel.
Even more to the point is that these are probably "inland waters" of the country and therefore may have completely different rules from the Colregs regarding fishing boats or even sailing boats.
We sailors forget that the 'sailing rules' were designed for commercial sailing vessels, not our little playthings. They are an anachronism and probably should be rewritten to factor in that most sailing vessels these days are pleasure craft, operated by amateurs and as such should not have rules that can be misinterpreted as a blanket right of way.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Preface: Like everyone else I'm speculating for discussion's sake, not trying to pass judgement before we have the facts of the ongoing investigation.

Even more to the point is that these are probably "inland waters" of the country and therefore may have completely different rules from the Colregs regarding fishing boats or even sailing boats.
Reports are that the collision occurred 30 miles from the finish. From the tracker it appears that was at least 15 or 20 miles offshore.

Screenshot_20180122-174211.png

As far as I can tell that's well within the scope of the COLREGS:
(a) These Rules shall apply to all vessels upon the high seas and in all
waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels.
(b) Nothing in these Rules shall interfere with the operation of special
rules made by an appropriate authority for roadsteads, harbors, rivers, lakes
or inland waterways connected with the high seas and navigable by
seagoing vessels. Such special rules shall conform as closely as possible to
these Rules.
Besides, are there really rules that would allow unlit fishing boats in navigable waters at night? (Again assuming for discussion's sake that they were unlit).

They are an anachronism and probably should be rewritten
Indeed racing sailboats are bound by the Racing Rules of Sailing, in addition to the COLREGS.

most sailing vessels these days are pleasure craft, operated by amateurs and as such should not have rules that can be misinterpreted as a blanket right of way.
I don't see how this collision could be attributed to amateurs assuming they had the right of way. Vestas may have been over tired and not seen the boat, but I think it's unlikely that they decided to ram it just because they could.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Preface: Like everyone else I'm speculating for discussion's sake, not trying to pass judgement before we have the facts of the ongoing investigation.

Reports are that the collision occurred 30 miles from the finish. From the tracker it appears that was at least 15 or 20 miles offshore.

View attachment 145728

As far as I can tell that's well within the scope of the COLREGS:

Besides, are there really rules that would allow unlit fishing boats in navigable waters at night? (Again assuming for discussion's sake that they were unlit).

Indeed racing sailboats are bound by the Racing Rules of Sailing, in addition to the COLREGS.

I don't see how this collision could be attributed to amateurs assuming they had the right of way. Vestas may have been over tired and not seen the boat, but I think it's unlikely that they decided to ram it just because they could.
All valid points. We shall see.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Twenty miles out from the entrance to one of the worlds busiest harbours you would think there would be more on deck than a trimmer and helmsman.(!?) You known that Vestus has all the latest radar,AIS etc. All that said Vestus was on a starboard jibe and the target was hidden behind the foresail. Even at 20knots it's hard to believe no one on either boat saw it coming.
Accident Investigation will be interesting. Will/can Vestus be repaired before Feb.1?
Never start the celebration til the fat lady sings.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
We sailors forget that the 'sailing rules' were designed for commercial sailing vessels, not our little playthings. ...
Sorry but I totally disagree. First off, you can't look at a boat and call it pleasure craft or commercial. There are pleasure craft that used to be commercial and boat that used to be pleasure craft that are now commercial (as in transporting goods). That is why you do not see Commercial or Pleasure craft written in the col-regs.

On top of that, poor visibility makes it even harder to determine which is which.

Last edited: