Your best Boat Improvements!

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I am happy to hear about the interest on my version of raw water flow alarm.
I have used a magnetic switch, same as the ones used in home alarms, and embeded the small magnet I'm the valve handle held in place with caulking, and in closed position is the reed switch. The contacts are closed when magnet is near, valve handle is in closed position. The switch contacts are open when valve handle is pulled away, valve open position. When ignition switch is turned on, if valve is closed, the closed contacts of the switch applies power to a buzzer and a large flashing bright LED, located on the capitan's panel on the binnacle indicating closed valve condition. With valve open the buzzer or LED will receive no power, indicating safe to press the start button.
Since alarm sounds before engine is run it saves the impeller.
If there is more interest, I will post photos and diagram to help explain.
Cost, $30.00, day saved, priceless.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
For me must be the Rocna oversized anchor, now i sleep much better.
Next must be the swim plataform, in tropics we are all the time using it.
My boat came full equip, so no much to add on, only have many things i will never ever use, like tv traking system, sat radio.
My next big one will be to find a way to move the dinghy engine from the base to the dinghy without carry it.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I bet no one has heard of this one.
An audible alarm to warn that raw water through hull valve has not been opened prior to staring the engine. A common cause of impeller falure.
Got one! Not my best improvement but I like it. Mine also lets me know if the flow stops for any reason

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Skipper installed midship cleats, skipper built boarding step, skipper installed Garmin 178C Sounder chart plotter, skipper built stern rail seats.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Folding wheel and blue tooth kicka$$ stereo.
When is spring coming?......
Cheers
dj

Feb 1, 2014
Watkins 27 North East, MD
Wow! Too many to list. Best was the under-settee storage access panels cut into the toe-kick bulkheads under settee.. four milk crates two 50 call boxes, a tool box and bag now have a home ;) A close second is the recessed, cabin bulkhead mounted ign/instrument panel. No more bending and leaning down across cockpit to near deck level to start/stop/view gauges. Then there's the ........ nevermind. Like I said, too many :)

Dec 14, 2011
Navicula 430 Hunter Toronto
the aquaflow alarm is right up there along with the bidge counter.....but the hard dodger and arch has been the best so far....ohh wait... the engle freezer is also up there

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
We are on a Catalina 27 and might be going JRT’s way and just upgrading to a few feet bigger boat.
But the current best improvement was to create a platform (that stows and can be pulled out) that goes between the settees in the main salon with a folding mattress top to creat a huge berth.
No more tight V berth sleeping for us.
The down side is it has to be pulled out each night and put up each morning. That takes about 2 minutes but still will most likely lead to the boat upsizing this spring.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
@Allowishish look for a Catalina 310 for the best queen size fwd Birth stateroom I've seen in in 30'ish boats. It was a better selling point to my wife vs the Catalina 34 we were also considering.

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
Thanks.
we have a Catalina 30 behind us in our marina... they are a tough find out here in Colorado. Otherwise, yes it’d be pretty high on our list otherwise.
We have eyes on a Tartan 30. The V berth looks much more usable (than ours anyway)

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I bet no one has heard of this one.
An audible alarm to warn that raw water through hull valve has not been opened prior to staring the engine. A common cause of impeller falure.
I have aqualarm sensors on both my engine & generator.
The problem with my generator is that the exhaust is run through a gas / water separator, and so it’s deadly quiet. So, you have no idea if your water intake is clogged
I have both the engine & genset wired so that an intake instruction shuts them down within 10 seconds, as well as audible alarm.
I have a bypass switch to disable the shutdown, and just have alarm