Yet Another Solo Mast Raising Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2011
Hunter 26 Petawawa
Hey guys, I know there have been plenty of posts regarding this issue, but I haven't found my answer yet so I have to take some of your time. I have a O'Day 25 at a yacht club with no crane. Launching obviously no problem but the mast raising by hand is a a dangerous and damaging ordeal. I plan on building a Gin pole with a triple pully system to haul up the mast. I was just wondering since the O'day 25 is kinda at the end of trailerable boats, has anyone lifted a mast of this size/wieght solo or two person using the gin pole or any solo raising system before?

Thanks in advance any advice or ideas, Art

Mar 27, 2010
Hunter 240 Branched Oak Lake, NE
I'm not sure of your mast height/weight, but I really love the mast-raising system on my Hunter 240, which is the same as the larger 260. The jib halyard runs to the gin pole, then we run the main sheet/block from the gin pole and secure it in the anchor locker. From there it's pretty easy to lift the mast myself; in a stronger wind it helps to have a second pair of hands guiding the mast and making sure nothing is tangled or twisted. I've seen some folks on larger boats run the main sheet back to a winch and are able to crank it up rather than heave-hoing it. But, on my boat, doing it by hand works very well.

My dad and I used to use a similar system that we rigged up on an Aquarius 23 - was just as easy to lift the mast.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I've helped raise and lower a mast on a 26 foot Westerly Centaur with a gin pole. We were only two people, one actually doing all the work. It was very easy with a 4:1 purchase tackle. In my younger and stupider days, I regularly raised and lowered the mast on a US25 with no gin pole and simply relied on strength, a little luck and no wind or wave action.

Dec 27, 2009
Clipper Mariner - Mac 25 -Bayliner and 4 kayaks 21 Clipper & 25 Macgregor & 19 Bayliner classic Red Rock Lake IA
Please make a mast raising bridle. It needs to have a pivot point directly across from the base of the mast.... I use a cheap electric winch (which I can hand crank as well) to lift the mast on my Mac 25. There are many examples on the web.... I have built a couple of these now... Make sure that the side cables stay taunt until the mast is all the way up...

Aug 23, 2011
Hunter 26 Petawawa
Good stuff guys, this is golden! Just a couple of questions left, Is it even possible to keep the side shrouds taught while raising? I just assumed the second person was at the base the whole time to provide extra stability to i need a bridle with the shrouds?

Thanks again guys, great info, Art

Dec 27, 2009
Clipper Mariner - Mac 25 -Bayliner and 4 kayaks 21 Clipper & 25 Macgregor & 19 Bayliner classic Red Rock Lake IA
Yes the shrouds will not tighten until the mast is fully up. The baby shrouds are used to keep the mast centered until the regular shrouds take over... This makes it a 1 man operation...

May 21, 2011
Lancer 28 T MK5 Naples Fl
Has anyone lowered or raised a mast on a Laancer 28 T MK5? It is the fractional rig model. The owner's manual that I have (such as it is) is for the Lancer 28, the masthead version. The diagram for mast raising says that you use the main sheet to do this. In the masthead model the traveller is located inside the cokpit and more or less even with the aft end of the boom. The MK V has the traveller on the cabin top forward of the companinway in the center of the boom. Will this shorter distance increase the load on the boom and or traveller? Should I be concerned? :confused:

Sorry. I have no phptos at this time. Diagrams of each model can be seen at http://sailboatdata.com/view_builder.asp?builder_id=98

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
I have raised the 28' mast on my Mac 26S solo using my gin pole and baby stays- and that includes the furler, which makes it pretty heavy. My system is all homemade, but it works great. -Paul

geehaw

May 15, 2010
O-day 25 shoal keel Valdez
25 Mast Raising.

I don't really have great pics of my system but I do have some. I use my Main sheet for lifting, a gin pole made from a 2x6, main halyard to the gin pole, And ratchet straps from gin pole to outer shrouds. The straps go to blocks of plywood I made that are two pieces that bolt together so to clamp on the shroud shown in first two photos. You need to get them so they are close to the pivot point of the mast in elevation. Whats good about this is it pulls the shrouds semi tight giving the mast side to side stability.

Now the gin pole is notched to fit the mast and goes on it about 6" up. I have two eye bolts on either side and a strap goes from one around the mast and over to the other to hold the pole in place at the base. Two other eye bolts near the far end of the gin pole on each side go to the respectful straps to the shrouds. Then an eye bolt on the face for the halyard and one on other face for the main sheet. A 4 to 1 reduction on the main sheet made it really easy to raise and lower the mast.

Some problems I had 1) I need a longer main sheet that is why you see the strap from main sheet to traveler. 2 ) don't pull the straps to tight from gin pole to shrouds. I leave them slightly slack. 3) when lowering the mast you need slack in the main sheet and have to start the mast to lean by hand. First time the strap feel off the main sheet and almost lost the control of the mast. Now I use a more positive tie off then just the hooks. But a longer main sheet would eliminate the need for the strap!

Attachments

Dec 3, 2010
Oday 25 N/A
This isn't a popular method as I have learned by posting it on other threads. I have put my mast up and down by hand with the help of of some other sailors.

You will need to have the side stays and forward stay connected before you do this. If you move the mast forward until the mast foot is over the deck mount, you can push the mast foot down and insert the forward pin through the deck mount and mast foot. This will create a hinge point in which the mast will rotate about. Then with two guys can move forward on the bow, pick up the mast, and then raise the mast until it is upright. When the mast is upright, a third person can take the back stay and connect it to the to its mounting location on the transom. Boom, the mast is up.

A lot of people on this website do not like this method, but it works.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Whitebeard

When the instructions or these fellows say use the mainsheet they are saying disconnect the blocks and line from the traveler and boom and move this block and tackle to the bow for attachment. You’re using the pulling power (called purchase) of this system of pulleys and rope to lift the mast about 45 degrees, at this point all of the weight and leverage of the mast is shifted to the mast base and then one person can finish pushing the mast up the last 45 degrees.

A raising bridle are extra lines attached to the gin pole or mast that stays tight during the lift, this keeps the mast or gin pole inline without someone having to hold everything from pulling sideways, as someone said the stays do not become tight till the mast in vertical.

Manual lifting, it takes 2 fellows to lift a mast on a 22 foot boat and a minimum of 3 for a 25 footer and I’ve helped try to lift a couple mast on larger trailerable boats that we could not find enough people.

I helped lift every mast in the attached photo at least one time.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Raising a mast, there are some items to mention.

1. Make sure of clearance overhead from where the mast is raised to the ramp for launching.
2. An extended mast crutch in the back helps take off the strain to some degree for raising vs. the mast being completel laying on the boat.
3. If no side stabilizer shrouds, Make sure someone is holding the mast at the side to keep it from going sideways. In addition, point the boat into the wind before lifting the mast.
4. When raising with mast pole, gin pole or what ever, should you encounter any heavy pressure, stop to make sure any shrouds and lines are not caught.
5. Before the mast is up all the way, check shroud turnbuckles to make sure they are not binding at the chain plate particualy the studs.
6. When up and clevis pin is in place, make sure you secure the clevis pin with circular ring or cotter pin.
7. Also, if the mast is up and not secured to forestay chain plate with the line on mast raising pole secured in the "jaws", always hold that line or tie it off just in case someone accidentally caused the line to loosen

I saw many customers make these mistakes.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Art,
Does your boat have a roller furler? The reason I ask is because if you don't have a furler you could possibly get away without baby stays. All you would need is a mast crutch in the stern and the Gin Pole.
My O'Day 222 has a CDI Roller Furler but I'm able to get the mast up and down by myself.
I can raise/lower on the water or on the trailer. If you can have the wind coming from aft and keep the boat level, you should have no problems.

Of course it goes without saying that you don't want to have some idiot go by in a powerboat and raise a big wake if you choose to do it in the water.

Attachments

Aug 23, 2011
Hunter 26 Petawawa
Trinnkka,

Yes I do have an auto furler, I appreciate the info but I just think the mast is too big and heavy to attempt raising without some side support, every creak and crack i hear makes my heart jump as it is! Last year was the first time putting up this mast and it is a relief to be able to have the stays attached, I kinda allways assumed that I will be using 1 other person to help apply a bit of balance to the mast once its at top end, but what I want to avoid is the tense and not-too-fun process of using 3-4 of my friends who are fueled by beer traipsing all over my boat lifting the mast from laying on the deck, stepping on the gagway cover, smashing and dragging turnbuckles and my auto furler across the deck ( you guys know what I mean, its a really messy and somewhat dangerous procedure ). Anything has got to be better than that. This is great info I am feeling much better about this dreaded process and I believe I am going to start putting together the materials for a gin pole, with some bridles to help keep the pole in place. Any other info or lessons learned would be greatly appreciated!

Geehaw, I see that you raise your mast from the bow to the aft, have you found that more beneficial? And I don't believe I'd be able to raise it from the bow with an auto-furler, any way around that?

Thanks very much guys this is a very helpful community, Art

geehaw

May 15, 2010
O-day 25 shoal keel Valdez
Yes that is Oday's recommended way. So I doubt with a furler it would work for you.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Art,
If you can rig up two pivot bridles and temporary stays for your mast raising system, there is no reason why you couldn't raise/lower your mast with a furler attached to it, all by your lonesome.
The roller furler can present a problem in that it can flop around on you during the raise/lower process if it's not secured to your Gin Pole.
I tie a Lineman's Rolling Hitch around the furler luff and tie it off to the Gin Pole about 2/3s of the way out on the pole. Then I take the same rope and entrap the luff to the pole and tie a couple of half hitches to the pole and that furler will go right up or come right down with the mast without anyone holding it.
I'm like you. I don't want anyone on that deck when I'm raising or lowering my mast even with the temporary stays in place. The block and tackle or the small boat winch mounted on the Gin Pole does all the work. All you need to do is just keep a close eye on the stays and turnbuckles, watch out for twists and snags while you're operating the lifting system.
If you need additional pics and info Art, just email me direct and I'll send them to you. sailtrinkka1986@verizon.net
I'm just not sure about how your stays are set up on your boat. My boat is set up so that I can have all my stays connected save the fore stay, and raise or lower the mast. I also have a back stay adjuster which really simplifies this process.
For my forestay, I have a press button quick pin not to be confused with a fast pin. These two pins are different animals all together. I don't trust fast pins. The press button quick pin has the tiny balls at the end that can lock it in place.

I use a wooden crutch shaped gadget that I made up that clamps on to my mast. I call it a mast yoke and it's used for the temporary stays attachment. These things are simple to build and it can be clamped to the mast within reaching distance.

The principle behind the pivot bridles is very simple and once you understand it, you can design it so that your bridles can be put on without having to guess which one goes on the Port or which one is on the Starboard side, or does this one go on so that the longest part of the bridle faces forward or aft? When you make up these bridles you will have spotted the pad eyes on the deck to where the bridles lengths will be even and all the guess work is taken out when you mount them. There is no Starboard or Port bridle. All you do is hook them up because they're both interchangeable.

I have a separate bridle that goes from the end of my Gin Pole to the rings of my pivot bridles. Between these bridles and the Temporary stays which also come off these rings and attach to the mast yoke, my mast has excellent lateral stability and these bridles are tight at all times.
This doesn't mean that you can raise or lower your mast if your boat is leaning to one side, or the wind is blowing hard on the beam while you're do this. If you're boat is leaning to one side, there is a good chance that you can split the bottom of your mast regardless of temporary stays and pivot bridles so the rules stay the same.

What I like about raising/lower from the stern is; Right now my boat is sitting on the trailer in my yard next to the house with the mast up. When I get ready to trailer it down to the club ramp, I'll lower the mast and leave the stays connected and bungeed to the mast. When I get the club I can set the mast up on the trailer or splash the boat and do it in the water at the dock. Either way, it's just a matter of rolling the mast aft, pinning the tabernacle, and setting up the Gin with the bridles.
I'm not sure that you can do that if you raise/lower over the bow. I think that you'd have to flip the mast over and connect the stays. Two of my friends Ray and Jeff do this every year and they don't seem to mind it too much, but they usually do it on the same day and they help each other out at some point in the operation. Ray has an O'Day 26 with triangular plates in his stays for the boom centering bridle. Jeff has an O'Day 25 without the plates. He is able to attach his boom bridle to his turnbuckles and make it work for him albeit some binding. Jeff usually has to man handle the mast a little to get it going up and then it will go up with the mainsheet pulling on the boom used as a Gin Pole. I'm certain that Jeff needs to remove two of his stays before raising/lowering over the bow and Ray does not.
I've used my Gin Pole to raise masts on a Bristol 24, a Tanzer 22, and a Hunter 23 and it worked very well on these boats.

Joe

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
On my Solina 27, I have integrated mast raising system. It consists of an a-frame attached to the deck. At the end, there is a multi-block system. Lowering/raising the mast is very easy. Baby stays are mounted at the centre of mast rotation and stay under tension at all times. IMO, this is very well thought out and safe system. I have used it number on times on the water when crossing low bridges. Setup time is about 5 minutes.

Mast down:

Mast up:

Aug 23, 2011
Hunter 26 Petawawa
Man you make it look easy!

Could you give me a ballpark weight of your mast, I'm not that familiar with Solina's so I'm going to assume its a 27' ? must be a decent sized mast then?

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
Yes, the boat is Solina 27. The mast is about 35-37 ft long (can't remember exact number off hand). Weight-wise, well, two people can lift it without too much struggle. I am guessing about 160-180lbs.

As you can see, the furling roller is attached directly to the A-frame. Both blocks (one mounted to the deck at the bow and another at the end of the A-frame) have these metal side plates, that slide next to each other, with fairly thick pin (3/8 or so) that slides from the side through all the plates securing them. The pin is only removed for lowering/raising the mast. At the transom there is integrated mast support when it is in the lowered position.

Status
Not open for further replies.