Yet another Mast Rewire post...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2010
Catalina Tall Rig/ Fin Keel Deale, MD
Guys, I did contact Kent at Catalina; apparently there is no problem leaving the terminal strip accessible and re-installing the aft board with screws only. I reckon it isn't going anywhere and the full board still contributes to the strength of the box.

Rob,
You can just replace the board with the screws and do not need to glue it back into place.

Good Sailing,

Kent Nelson
Engineering Department
Catalina Yachts
21200 Victory Blvd.
Woodland Hills, CA 91367
(818) 884-7700 ext. 237
(818) 884-3810 Fax
kent@catalinayachts.com
www.catalinayachts.com

Apr 20, 2011
Catalina 30 Bay City
Greetings and thanks to all for all the good info. I have a 1975 Catalina 30 that still has the original wiring in and to the mast. I’m planning to replace it this spring even though I’m getting a late start. But then, spring is getting a late start here in Michigan.

Does anyone know what the cross beam is under the mast step? Years ago I tried to drill into it and it seemed to be stainless. If in fact it is, is there an opening under the step that you guys drilled through?

Is there a good way to bring the wires out of the mast at the spreaders for spreader lights? Where would the best place be for the exit hole?

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
Update....sigh

Well, yesterday my wife and I ran the wiring and antena cable through the mast.

What a task. There were many unforseen pitfalls, which I'll list here for future idiots dumb enough to try this!!!

When running new cable task number one is to remove the through bolts that hold the upper and lower shrouds. These bolts go through the mast and get in the way. I didn't do this at first....dumb.

I also had to remove one of the spreaders. The bolts are 2" long on either side and obstruct the interior of the mast.

I couldn't think of a good material to use to creat foam 'bow ties' so I bought a bunch of noodles from the dollar store. The kind that kids use in the pool. I cut them up in 18" sections and tied them to the cableing.

Unfortunately my first attempt failed because of the through bolts. In addition, the interior of the mast is full of bolt and screw ends from all the winches, tracks, cleats, etc. They shread the noodles. Sadly I had to take the entire thing back out.

I finally did get the cable all the way to the mast head after a good 2 hours (told my wife it would be a 15 minute job).

In addition to the 3 wire to the mast head with the antena cable I had to run an additional 3 wire to the spreaders for a steaming light and spreader light. I got too clever here...

I pigtailed 2 grounding wires to the original ground wire in the 3 way cable. I stripped the 3 way back about 3 feet. I now had 4 wires, white with a ground and green with a ground. All the splices were double crimped, heatshrunk, reheat shrunk, taped together and nice and solid. Since I had to pull this wire through 2 different holes, I attached a fishing line to the white and green wires, leaving the grounds alone (no stress on them).

Well things worked to plan and both wires came through. Sadly, I must of pulled the ground pigtails loose. USELESS!!!! ....dumber.

I'll have to run another 2 wire to serve as grounds for mid mast. Sigh.

The good news?

I wired the new tri-color/ancor LED light and it works! I have pictures on my phone which I'll post later. I left the wiring for the light outside, heat shrunk and self sealing electric taped. I'll tie it to the mast head with an eye strap.

Since I gave up on the noodle idea, my original dilema remained. How to secure 40' of cable inside the mast so that there is no tension on the lights, antenas, etc.

I slipped a piece of 1/2" ID reinforced water hose over the 3 way wire. I forced this into the hole on the mast head for chaffe protection. I then used a SS hose clamp over the top of the hose with the wire inside. Much like a metal conduit connector in a junction boxes.

It seems to me that this will hold the entire cable system in place.

So mistakes aside and one more fishing job ahead, the mast just might be ready to go back up!

Thanks for all the help, and good luck to the next guy planning to rewire the mast.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.