~yet another leaky keel stepped mast~

Coyote

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 30T Madeira Beach, Florida
BEFORE I get blasted, YES, I know there are a hundred threads available with information on dealing with a leaky mast -- however, I want to make sure I am NOT solving one problem, by creating a new, possibly larger problem.

On my relatively new to me Oday 28, our mast seems to be allowing water to travel down into the bilge, a nuisance. Generally not a lot of water, but here in FL, we have had our fair share of intense downpours, generating 7+ inches of rain.
My bilge pump works fine, and we are talking about a couple of pints of water, with an average storm. You can see minor remnants of water around the cabin top, where the mast comes through, as shown in the image.
There is no mast boot, just Gorilla tape at the base of the mast, with some silicone in the mast slots.

If you look up into the mast hole, what seems like old foam, with a bit missing is visible, see image ---

a few other threads suggested "filling and sealing", Stu Jackson mentioned using silicone and old line,,
I WANT TO MAKE SURE, on our Odays, that if I STUFF the mast as it enters the cabin, is the cabin top sealed around the mast?,
or will the water permeate the cabin top, and cause some rot issues,,,

I just want to be 100% clear!!
as always, thanks, and Happy Holidays,

cheers,
Coyote

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Like any other deck penetration,

1 --- Keep the water outside, don't let it come in

2 --- Seal the edge of the penetration so if water does come in...

However you do it, with my borrowed old line idea, Spartite, a mast boot, whatever, that's what you have to do.

Good luck.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I would look here or D and R marine for the correct mast collar. You are right to fix it.

Coyote

Sep 30, 2008
Good idea, Thanks,, I just sent Rudy an inquiry,

I removed ALL the old electrical tape that was wrapped around the base of the mast, and found it had an ANCIENT mast boot installed,,, yellowed, cracked, and the strapping so rusted that when I went to tighten them, the heads of the screws started to separate,,

as a temporary fix, I applied a generous coating over the obvious cracks and unsealed areas with a waterproof, adhesive molding,, let that dry, than re-wrapped the base with a waterproof tape,,

the problem seems to be the recessed channels (3) in the mast, that penertarte the cabin top,,, as Stu suggested, my plan is to cease the flow of water down those channels BEFORE they reach the base of the mast,,

cheers,
Coyote

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
Am I correct in that rain water is able to come in the top of the mast and into the bilge? I would imagine there is no way to prevent this. correct?

May 16, 2011
Oday 28 Niceville, FL
Am I correct in that rain water is able to come in the top of the mast and into the bilge? I would imagine there is no way to prevent this. correct?
You are correct. The mast head is not sealed so water comes down and gets in the bilge. Now with that said, it's not a massive opening on top. But it amazing how much water comes down. I did use silicone to seal around my mast at he deck because water was leaking inside the salon. To me they two totally different issues

Coyote

Sep 30, 2008
I do agree with the posted comments --- I DEFINITELY had water coming along the exterior of the mast, inside the cabin, as evidenced by a water trail along the mast, and slight staining around the esdges of the mast/cabin top hole -

there are obviously other opportunities for water to penetrate the INSIDE of the mast, either through the top of the mast, or the holes for the upper shrouds,

I wanted to seal the water OUT, (thank you Mr. Jackson) from coming into the cabin, along the exterior of the mast -- and I do believe I have accomplished that (epoxy putty over the original foam and re-sealing the mast boot, and using putty above the boot in the mast channels for diverting the flow of water)--
as for what happens toward the top of the mast, I was thinking of attaching small cowl type vents above the upper shrouds to channel the water away from the hole openings, and keep most of the water out,,, project for another day, when I have a REAL reason for hoist myself 42' off the deck!

cheers,
Coyote