Yet another Air Conditioning Thread

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
We have a 1999 H260. We're on a mission to cool our boat so we can sleep on it in the summer. Yes, I've read about a million threads on air conditioning but haven't found where anyone has a portable unit/carry-on unit that works just the way they want it to. The closest thing to a satisfied customer I've found is one who installed a permanent unit with duct work. It cost him about $4600 in materials. Way too much for our budget. We don't have a generator and plan to use shore power.

So, I'm looking for feedback from those who are happy with their A/C, what it is, how it is used and how much it costs. We're in South Carolina so our summers are brutal. Even at night.

Thanks!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Just responded so check yur email. I am an expert on install of air conditioning even on a 240 but you had to install shore power as well. I used to use Mermaid. I am checking on the others., Good to know you will get your monies back on that used Cruise Air unit as it sounds like it has a leak somewhere.

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 22 Lake Eufaula
Hi Kermit, I was also in the same boat as far as A/C for my H22, I found a used Small window unit and just put it in the hatch way then slid the hatch cover on top of it to hold it in place... cheap and easy, then in the morning just took it down. we placed ours in the floor of the deck during the day. the A/C cost me $50. found it on Craigslist. we have a extension power cord running to the Shore Power plug. the unit is only 15 or so lbs and cools our boat nicely! the wifey for lifey puts a small fan on the table to help get the cool are to the forward v berth sleeping quarters. If we need to exit the boat while the A/C is running we just exit the forward hatch, but we can also slide the aft overhead exit forward and step out that way too. just need long legs for that exit. :)

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I have used them all, even the old water cooled units in a Samsonite suitcase and can tell you they all have their pros and cons. The cheapest and easiest to setup is the small 5-6K window unit, but in order to work well it needs to be set up in the companionway filling the cockpit with hot air and obstructing access. For your boat I would recommend a Crusaire Carry On. The unit is portable with handles and attachment points, it is designed to separate the warm air input from the cold air exhaust so that it can work well in a cabin hatch. A canvas cover prevents rain water from entering the boat and seals small gaps to prevent air from entering or escaping the boat. We used one on an H34 in the Chesapeake Bay and it worked very well.. For underway we would remove it and drop it down the front hatch into the V-berth where it remained stored and in the evening we would pick it up and out and set up in the main cabin hatch. We laid down a plastic over the cushions to contain any condensation. I would not recommend those portable units with a large diameter hose to exhaust the hot air as they are very inefficient, radiating heat from the hose and drawing in hot outside air to replace the large volume of pumped out air. Both the window unit and the Carry-On have to be stored and hauled around but it is a small price to pay for affordable comfort. Built-in and ducted units are very convenient but pricey.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There are stand ups on casters but weight is an issue and cost is $300 or in that range.
Kermit; give me a call tonight at the house as I will be up on the mountain tomorrow checking things on the new house. I still have something in my possession which will be only opened when you come to the new house.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have used the room air in the companionway for a couple of years and it is inexpensive and did the job but is a mess to step over and the noise and heat in the cockpit is a problem. I bit the bullet and installed a water cooled built in unit (20 years ago) and now would not have it any other way. You could probably do with a 9000 btu unit like this http://www.amazon.com/9000-Contained-Marine-Conditioner-110-120v/dp/B0053TNM0S or similar. To this you'd have to add the ducting and a water pump and have a way to get water to the pump (you'll probably never run the engine and AC at the same time so you can temporarily tee into an existing thru hull). By careful shopping (Home Depot), you can cut 50% off the duct "kits" sold in the marine stores.. You'll need a proper breaker and wiring. If you are DIY capable, it is not that bad of a job and the results are excellent. Take time and plan it carefully, especially the duct work routes. You will not regret it.

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
AC

This is what I use on my 23.5.Since I only use births under cockpit for storage fits great.Vents out hatch in cckpit.Only use it at dock,even with camping cover up still cools area well.Bought it on Ebay at vminovations,Refurb $200.00.Curtain off area so only cooling small area.Also rapped exhaust in insulated flex duct as it does get hot.made sumbrella cover not shown.Changed out exhaust this winter 90 degree fitting at window made lot more room.

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Kermit-

I am assuming you have read my thread and my window unit install documentation, but in case you hadn't the installation og an 8k BTU window unit is documented here on page 15 of my thread:

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=123450&page=15

I will answer any questions you have if you consider this path. Not sure if you have space to do this, but it was cheap, and it is NOT in the way at all...

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Kermit. Will you have access to shore power, or do you need a 12V DC solution?
I have shore power and 2-12v batteries. I'm assuming the shore power solution would work better in the long run, but dang, it would be great to have a 12v option if shore power were not available. I'm all ears!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Kermit-

I am assuming you have read my thread and my window unit install documentation, but in case you hadn't the installation og an 8k BTU window unit is documented here on page 15 of my thread:

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=123450&page=15

I will answer any questions you have if you consider this path. Not sure if you have space to do this, but it was cheap, and it is NOT in the way at all...
Phil,
Thanks for the link and your offer to help. I'm not sure we want a permanent installation that would involve cutting through the hull. But dang it looks like you did a great job. Could this be done without cutting my boat?
Thanks!

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Shoot some pics looking aft from the cabin. Note height and width if possible. Do you have a cockpit lazzarette that is only separated from the cabin by a removable panel?

My work is not stock at all as the galley was lowered 7" but I would love to look at your situation and make suggestions.

Know that LG unit I used is quite short height-wise. Let me dig up the model I used...

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
This is what I use on my 23.5.Since I only use births under cockpit for storage fits great.Vents out hatch in cckpit.Only use it at dock,even with camping cover up still cools area well.Bought it on Ebay at vminovations,Refurb $200.00.Curtain off area so only cooling small area.Also rapped exhaust in insulated flex duct as it does get hot.made sumbrella cover not shown.Changed out exhaust this winter 90 degree fitting at window made lot more room.
What model do you get? I've found vminovations on ebay. They have lots to choose from.
Thanks!

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
The LG window unit I bought is the LG LW8012ER The specific reason I went with it was its "mounting footprint" if that makes sense. For a boat instal it had to be as small as possible in the vertical dimension. This unit is quite short at only 12-3/8" high, comparable to some 5k BTU units and it is only 19-9/16" wide.

A quick search at Amazon.com shows it available for as little as $202.00 plus freight.

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
I,ll check when I get back to boat,actually on the road to pick up a 69 Carver wood[ dare I say] power boat to restore.Have to much time on hands these winters so thought would be something to do.

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
Kermit,
Today I have seen a small 5,000 BTU air condition unit for window mount at Walmart for just $109.

Here the link to the manufacturer:
http://www.haier.com/us/products/home-comfort/room-air-conditioners/hwf05xcl.shtml

The same unit cost at Amazon $179. However, I think this is another possibility.
I looked up the electrical spects. It draws 515 Watt when cooling (4.5 A at 110-120V) that would be 45 A out of the 12 Volt batteries for the case you would be using it off shore.
A group 27 battery has a capacity between 85-105 A hours. A group 24 70-85 A hours.
As your boat, also has mine, 2 batteries and the unit could run about 3 to 4 hours on two full batteries with an inverter.

I will measure the space at the companion way, may be an extra hatch boards can be cut to hold the unit when installed and replaced with the original ones when not installed.

Attachments

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
Just figuring how it would look like to fit the air conditioning unit in the companion way hatch of a H26/H260.
The picture shows the measures; the opening is 18" on the bottom and 29.5" on the top. The total vertical clearance is 35". There are originally 4 boards; two 11.25" high ones made of Plexiglas and two 6.25" high ones made out of wood.

Since the unit needs 22" horizontal clearance it would sit up about 7" and would go up to 20-3/8" from the bottom.

The top board with the lock latch could stay.
A boards would need to be cut about 16.25" high with the 22" x 13-3/8" opening to mount the unit on. And two other boards with 6.25" high would be needed, one for the bottom and one to fill the top gap.

Attachments

Last edited:

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Kermit,The unit I got from VMI,they dont handle anymore.But its 8000 btu and works great.On my old Chrysler 22 We used a small window unit in companionway slats,was a pain to always get over{my opinion] and had to store it in dockbox,this stays on boat always.Real happy with the way it cools.