YANMAR replacement

Mar 21, 2022
Bristol Corsair Tampa
As always yiyr knowledge /advice is highly appreciated...
That been said, here's the situation. A replacement Yanmar for my 1985 Pearson 303 could be the 18hp 2GM 20F (fresh water cooled $4000 on ebay from a reputable vendor) or a 2GM(raw water cooled) with a Kanzaki transmission at a 2.62 ratio($1840.00)
Money right now, a bit tight im favoring the later due to price. Im open to your words of wisdom and advise, let it roll.
Once again, im very much grateful to have all of you as a combined fountain of knowledge. Thx....
CRivera

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Hi Sailing Pelican.
I will step in for what it's worth.
You have set out two but actually you have a few options.
Firstly a question.
What is wrong with your original engine?

Depending on the answer to that question here are some options.
1. Rebuild the original engine yourself.
2. Have the original engine professionally rebuilt.
3. Buy a totally unknown engine from some guy on ebay who say. "Oh, it was running sweetly last time I started it, Don't know why it won't start now, but it's nothing to worry about."
4. Buy a used engine from a reputable dealer (chuckle). But first ask him about the warranty. 12 months? Parts and labor? (chuckle again)
5. Buy a new engine.

That's about it till we get a little more information to go on.

Gary

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
  • If money is tight you could throw an outboard or trolling motor on the back as a temporary solution
  • What's wrong with your current motor?
  • How many hours are on those used motors you're looking at?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
What assurance do you have that either one will last as long as you intend to keep the boat? How much money are you willing to throw away? Can you afford to lose $1,840 and start again? How about $4,000? Nobody can give you solid advise based on such limited information but I'm inclined to agree with Dave about the raw-water cooled engine, which I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
A Pearson 303, is a "modern" design and for many owners would be their Last Boat. I note that this model is nearly identical in displacement and beam to our boat. That seems like plenty enough room, but how much is 'enough' is subjective.
Others will want to move up (or, gasp, down) in a few years. I find that 'round' time numbers can help with perspective. If you are sure that you like your boat enough to sail it for another ten years... or more.... then take the long view and consider a re-power.
We did that in 2018, and repowered with a new Betamarine25. A Yanmar was second choice, but still acceptable, FWIW.
So, "philosophy" plays a part in your decision.
Good luck!
BTW -- We bought our used boat in 1994, after much research, so perhaps we are not typical owners, gotta admit. :cool:

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
If you are going to keep the boat for many years then I would agree with @FastOlsen and repower with new. 16 years ago the one cylinder Yanmar YSB12 in Fraulein gave up the ghost. People thought I was foolish to repower new but I knew I was going to keep her for a few more years. And, what would I have gotten for her, anyway? I had a Yanmar 3YM20 installed. Yes, 7K was a bitter pill to swallow along with all the other expenses that came along with that but she is still purring nicely ( just reached 1000hrs.), and I don't have to worry about not getting home under my own power. Knock on wood, or fiberglass for that matter.
Yes, I pretty much bought my boat over again but I had done numerous other upgrades, knew her in and out and really liked sailing her. Why spend that money on another project boat that I'm unfamiliar with? Just my justification and $.02.

Last edited:
May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
While I can't address the longevity of either engine you mentioned,
I can tell you that 10 years ago I repowered my H30C with a
20 yo Yanmar 2GM20F. I have used it extensively over that time,
kept to the manual on servicing, replaced all the hoses and have had
absolutely no issues. It starts first time, every time.
BTW, I had to repower due to salt water eating through water jacket of
the original YSM12 Yanmar.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I had a Yanmar 3YM20 installed. Yes, 7K was a bitter pill to swallow along with all the other expenses that came along with that but she is still purring nicely ( just reached 1000hrs.), and I don't have to worry about not getting home under my own power. Knock on wood, or fiberglass for that matter.
Yep, I'm with you on this. I put the 3YM20 in my Starwind 27 in 2013 and never regretted the money spent. We sold the boat in 2020 and I'm glad that I didn't have to deal with a nearly dead engine when the time came. The freshwater cooling and heat exchange-generated hot water was a great bonus when I upgraded my water system to pressurized hot and cold water. My experiences on the boat were on the rise when I made those upgrades and it brought peace of mind. If plans for the boat are long-term, it makes no sense to short-circuit these decisions.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
As always yiyr knowledge /advice is highly appreciated...
That been said, here's the situation. A replacement Yanmar for my 1985 Pearson 303 could be the 18hp 2GM 20F (fresh water cooled $4000 on ebay from a reputable vendor) or a 2GM(raw water cooled) with a Kanzaki transmission at a 2.62 ratio($1840.00)
Money right now, a bit tight im favoring the later due to price. Im open to your words of wisdom and advise, let it roll.
Once again, im very much grateful to have all of you as a combined fountain of knowledge. Thx....
CRivera

My vote would be to forego the windlass you are thinking about adding, and put that money into the 2GM20F you found if it is in good condition or find a rebuilt 2GM20F that has a warranty… or repower with a Beta.

Maybe rebuilding the old engine is a possibility, but without knowing why you need to replace, hard to,d
say if it makes sense or not (and it can be fraught with unknowns…right @jssailem !).

You can always pull the anchor up by hand, but a reliable engine is in my opinion the more critical equipment.

As others have said, I would stay away from the raw water cooled engine.

Good luck,

Greg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I really liked my "Fresh Water Cooled" Yammie. With my previous raw water cooled A4 I was obsessive about flushing it with fresh water. I never had a corrosion issue with the A4 but I was more comfortable with the Yammie. With the expense of a re-power I would go with the best engine budget allows.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
BTW, There are probably plenty of owners of raw water cooled Yanmar En gines that haven't had a problem. Regular maintenance is a must, but isn't it always??

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
BTW, There are probably plenty of owners of raw water cooled Yanmar En gines that haven't had a problem. Regular maintenance is a must, but isn't it always??
Many raw water cooled engines have lived long and productive lives. I once owned a 35 year old Volvo MD7A, ran fine, but it lived its life in freshwater. The trouble with raw water cooled engines in a warm salty environment is there is no way to determine the condition of the engine block water jacket and once the jacket fails, the engine is toast.

The engine the OP is considering could have lots of life left or very little, no good way to tell. He has frequently posted he is on a tight budget, the last thing he needs to go through the expense and effort to install an engine that has an unknown and unpredictable life span. On second thought none of us really want to spend a lot of money on something for unknown or unpredictable outcomes.

Mar 21, 2022
Bristol Corsair Tampa
  • If money is tight you could throw an outboard or trolling motor on the back as a temporary solution
  • What's wrong with your current motor?
  • How many hours are on those used motors you're looking at?
The fresh water cooled im looking at out of state, has 600 hrs. 30 days warranty (?) ebay buyer protection covered, $3500.00
The one on my boat, came in "toast" and that was the main reason i got the boat cheap.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
it's not just the engine cost. it's new exhaust hoses, new engine bed, possible new gearbox and transmission, new morse cables. . . my $6000 new yanmar , with professiona labor install and all necessary new parts topped out at 9800. $ . the original 1 GM10 ( raw water cooled) was eaten out by salt water corrosion as it was kept on a mooring and only flushed out at end of season.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
it's not just the engine cost. it's new exhaust hoses, new engine bed, possible new gearbox and transmission, new morse cables. . . my $6000 new yanmar , with professiona labor install and all necessary new parts topped out at 9800. $ .
With the exception of the Morse cables, add in the water lift exhaust system, prop shaft and prop, and the myriad of all the little misc. things, that was my experience.

Mar 21, 2022
Bristol Corsair Tampa
A Pearson 303, is a "modern" design and for many owners would be their Last Boat. I note that this model is nearly identical in displacement and beam to our boat. That seems like plenty enough room, but how much is 'enough' is subjective.
Others will want to move up (or, gasp, down) in a few years. I find that 'round' time numbers can help with perspective. If you are sure that you like your boat enough to sail it for another ten years... or more.... then take the long view and consider a re-power.
We did that in 2018, and repowered with a new Betamarine25. A Yanmar was second choice, but still acceptable, FWIW.
So, "philosophy" plays a part in your decision.
Good luck!
BTW -- We bought our used boat in 1994, after much research, so perhaps we are not typical owners, gotta admit. :cool:
Got in touch with Beta Marine to inquire advise on repower, thx