Yanmar cruise RPM

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Just curious...
At what RPM do you cruise?
I usually go between 2,500 and 2,700 on our 2GM20F.

Thanks
Ken

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Ken

Over 7 seasons - Olympia to San Juans/Canada Gulf Islands and return annually - 2800 rpm. I have not had any coking/carbon restrictions in the mixing elbow over these 800 plus hours.

Mine is 2GM20 direct sea water cooled. The boat is 8500# about 23 foot at the water line. We do about 6 knts and burn 6/10 gallon per hour.

Charles

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
All boats with identical engines are not the same. Also depends on your prop / pitch.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Unless we are talking just about the 2GM20, I think it better to compare the ratio of cruising rpm's to WOT rpms. Diesels run best when they are working hard. I've always heard that running them about 75 - 80% of WOT is best. WOT on my 3YM20 is 3600 rpm. I run about 2800 - 3000 rpm. That's 78 - 83% WOT. That will push my 5 ton boat at 6 knots easily. At that rpm it burns about a gallon every 2 - 2 1/2 hours.
As I wrote this, NYSail chimed in and he is 100% correct.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Much discussion about this over the years. Lots of opinions, but IMHO, as long as your engine reaches operating temperature at whatever RPM you choose to cruise, that should keep everything in good working order.

Our 35,000 pound boat came equipped with a 4JH2-TE engine turning a fixed three blade prop. When I'm cruising with the engine, I tend to keep it at 1,800-2,000 RPM, which pushes the boat along nicely at between six and seven knots. Whether I keep it at that RPM, or push it higher, the engine operating temperature remains the same. This has been my modus since purchasing her in 2002, with about 1,200 hours of operation with no ill effects.

Some will say that Yanmar engines like to be run hot, whatever that means. Again, as long as the engine reaches operating temperature, that should keep things cleaned out. I operate other diesel engines that seldom see 1,500 RPM over several thousand hours with no apparent ill effects.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Much discussion about this over the years. Lots of opinions, but IMHO, as long as your engine reaches operating temperature at whatever RPM you choose to cruise, that should keep everything in good working order.

The question is how can you tell whether your engine is running at the appropriate temperature when most engine panels only have idiot lights?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The mechanics at Mack-Boring have been very adamant in every discussion I have had with them that the marine Yanmar is a high-speed, heavily loaded diesel that benefits from high-speed operation to keep carbon build-up to a minimum. They even suggest several high-RPM throttle bumps prior to shut down to blow out any carbon.

I have a very accurate digital temp gauge on my 4JH3E and the engine runs a consistent 167 to 170 whether the engine is at 2300 RPM, or 3300 RPM, suggesting that high speed is nothing to this engine. The biggest factor in engine temp is seawater temp. Higher - Hotter.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
I agree that everything I've read says diesels love to be run hard (temp will follow). But with my pitched prop I achieve hull speed at a lower rpm then others with same boat and engine. When I raise the rpm's higher I see no extra speed so I run at about 2400 rpm's (3hm35f - 1986). Engine stays at about 145 to 155 degrees. No smoke and runs smooth (after last years elbow replacement - 10 years). sister ships run at 3400.....
Guess this brings up the prop pitch. Is there an exact pitch for each engine/hull? How do you determine the pitch??

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Prop pitch is determined by the ability of the engine to reach it's specified maximum RPM.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
wounder whyPO had it pitched the way it is.... Pardon my ignorance on the subject of prop pitch

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Prop pitch is determined by the ability of the engine to reach it's specified maximum RPM.
If a prop is under pitched it will reach the specified RPM but still be wrong. You want to be able to reach max rpm or close to it but the engine should have to work to hit those last few hundred RPM. If it just zooms up to full RPM it's underpitched.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
wounder whyPO had it pitched the way it is.... Pardon my ignorance on the subject of prop pitch
It's not uncommon for builders to just slap a prop on there and have it be wrong. My previous boat, a Catalina 30, had a significantly under pitched 2 blade for the particular engine in that boat. I took it to a prop shop, they added pitch to it, and the performance improved substantially.

What a prop shop wants to know in order to figure out the propeller's pitch is its diameter, number of blades, the engine horse power, and the transmission gear ratio.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
For an adjustable feathering prop, the PO would most probably have used the OEM prop pitch angle as the starting point and possibly adjusted from there.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Also something to watch is that older (20+ years) yanmar's tend to be off. My yanmar 3GM's tach shows 2000 rpm when it is actually 2600 rpm.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Also something to watch is that older (20+ years) yanmar's tend to be off. My yanmar 3GM's tach shows 2000 rpm when it is actually 2600 rpm.

Well blitz..... That's a great point. Got a new alt a few years ago.... Maybe I should get a new tach.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
or check it with a portable, non-contact tachometer. They are not expensive.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I typically run my 3JH3E, 39 hp, at 3,000 rpm when cruising, sometimes 3,100. It tops out at about 3,200 rpm. That is what the Yanmar service folks advised me to do. Essentially, you cannot run it too hard was the impression I got. Now has 1930 hr, 16 yr; but many hr at idle or charging at anchor.

Last edited:

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
or check it with a portable, non-contact tachometer. They are not expensive.
That's the ticket! I keep one on my boat and occasionally use it to compare to. my tach,it is within a 100 rpm, close enough for me!

Also, I think with the Yanmar tachs being off its not actually the tach instrument that's off, but the rpm sensor. Yanmar uses a sensor that I believe counts the revolutions of the fly wheel. If that is not correct, please someone set me straight.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Yanmar uses a sensor that I believe counts the revolutions of the fly wheel.
it actually just marks the rpms as the flywheel makes a round not really counting ....this is accomplished by the break in the electric signal as the gap on the flywheel passes by the proximity switch on the bell housing

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
All boats with identical engines are not the same. Also depends on your prop / pitch.
If the prop is correctly sized and pitched every Yanmar should be able to attain 100% of max rated RPM. Sadly far too many boats are under or over propped..