Yanmar 3GM30F tough starting (runs well)

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
The thermostart could be installed in the air silencer, AKA air filter, housing. You will probable need to weld a nut to it to thread the thermostart into. From what I understand the smoke/vaporized fuel is extremely flammable and acts like starting fluid, but don't quote me on that.

My old boat had a Volvo Penta 2002 in it. No glow plugs. I sail in the winter as long the water isn't solid. It always stated, if I used the correct starting procedure. I read the manual!
When vaporized, diesel requires about 1/2 the amount as vaporized gasoline in air (by volume) to be flammable.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Here is a good thread that's not too long. There is talk of using the decompression levers and the Yanmar starting procedure.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
There is talk of using the decompression levers and the Yanmar starting procedure.
This is recommended by Yanamar when the battery is low.

As quoted by one poster "the engine turns over and one cylinder fires, the levers reset themselves and the engine spins up. WOW, sure wish I had one of those.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
An alternative to the thermostart is an intake manifold heater. It is just a large heating element that runs on 12v DC, similar to a thermostart but without the fuel connection. I'm sure they draw a lot of power, but it's an option. I used to maintain an old Onan generator that 2 of them in the intake, it also had glow plugs. They can be found on Amazon for as little as $50.