Yanmar 1GM10 Diesel Fuel Out Exhaust and only 2400 RPM

Feb 7, 2016
J-Boat J22 Chandlers Landing
I recently got a fixer upper Santana 3030 with an old Yanmar 1GM10.
Recently started getting a dark liguid discharge out the exhaust and RPMs dropped from 3000 to 2400 at full throttle. Then after 10 minutes of running at 2400 rpm, water over temp alarm sounded. Very little smoke. Excellent water flow out of the exhaust. Let some of the exhaust into a bucket, and looks like blackish water.

Pulled the mixer elbow. It looked clean, just a little soot. To my surprise, found diesel fuel where mixer connects to the engine.

No water in the oil.

Not using any oil.

Sure could use some help getting to the bottom of this problem.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Is there any sign of water in the oil?
the very first thing I would do is pull the injectors and have them tested.. its a reasonably easy job to remove them if you can get to them, and its not expensive to have them pressure tested....
a bad injector could cause your symptoms, and if it is an injector and it continues to run that way, the piston will be next to be damaged.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Define "recently" as far as when you acquired the boat and when first the engine started to act up. Also indicate if the engine was running well for a length of time. What is the condition of the boat's bottom and prop? Sometimes a combination of causes brings about confusing symptoms. Try and clear individual symptoms like blackish exhaust water could point to a disintegrating impeller which does result in overheating. If you have not replaced the impeller probably will not know its condition. Suggest a replacement. A drop in RPM is usually the result of clogged fuel filters. Same as the impeller suggest replacing. Make sure the air intake tube is unobstructed. I doubt the air filter is still there but make sure there is nothing blocking the intake. Check the condition of the fuel. Old fuel or fuel with a high water content will not burn properly and can cause a drop in RPM. Make sure the boat's bottom or the prop are not fouled, excess drag can cause "overfueling" which results in unburned fuel and usually black smoke (which you do not report). Check for mechanical causes like a failing cutlass bearing which does not allow the propulsion shaft to turn freely which can also lead to overheating. ( does the engine behave drastically different when ran in neutral and when under load?) (check and see if you can turn the shaft by hand and feel for any drag along a single revolution). The injector could be at fault but it being a single cylinder engine it would run real rough and shake violently. I hope this might help.

Feb 7, 2016
Thanks to both for thoughtful replies. Does not run rough. Bottom painted and prop cleaned about 30 days ago. Impeller replaced and was not deteriorated. Kept in freshwater. This boat had a broken mast... took the yard longer than normal to sleeve (about 2 months), so it has just been sitting at the dock. Every couple of weeks I would run it, first cranking without starting to distribute oil, then starting, running for a few minutes at low speed, then high speed in gear for 5-10 minutes as I know the engine needs a load for proper maintenance. Right now this is a major source of lake pollution. I always look at exhaust after starting to assure water flow, which is why I know it went from clear to dark/dirty. Put a 1/2 gallon of exhaust water in a bucket and photograhed it. Very little oil on top. see photo.
Exhaust water 2016-10-17_05-38-30.jpg
Was going to run for an hour tonight, but afteer 10 minutes water temp alarm went off.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
first cranking without starting to distribute oil
Might be unrelated to your issues, but generally cranking marine diesels without starting them is not recommended. Cooling water can back up the exhaust and into the cylinders, hydrolocking the engine.

Feb 7, 2016
Might be unrelated to your issues, but generally cranking marine diesels without starting them is not recommended. Cooling water can back up the exhaust and into the cylinders, hydrolocking the engine.
Thanks for the idea. Yanmar lists cranking as a procedure to distribute oil when the 1GM engine has not been run for a while. Anyway, not locked up. Still stuck needing a solution.

Feb 7, 2016
No water in the oil. Pulling the injector for test today. This is a 1 clyinder engine.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
I have a 1GM that had issues, getting both the Seloc and Haynes (Chilton?) manuals helped identify causes. You might consider that unburned fuel in your exhaust water and overheating are 2 different issues.
My overheating was caused by "stuff" getting clogged in the water jacket around the cylinder. If you pull your thermostat to ream things out with a bottle brush, make sure you poke straight back in, not just in the direction of the water flow through the hoses. I didn't catch that the first time around. I also replaced the zinc on the engine at the same time, some of the crud cojuld have come from there.
Low RPMs couild also come from clogged filters, one at the top of the cylinder block at the back and one between the engine and the fuel tank. Both use different filters. Possibly also need to bleed the fuel lines, especially after all this.
They are simple bullet-proof engines once you understand them.

Feb 7, 2016
Tested the single fuel injector. Part is good. Will look into the filters.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Garbage in garbage out, what color is the water in the lake? Start the engine and remove the oil fill cap. Then place the palm of your hand about an inch away from the opening. The air that you feel coming out is compression being blown by the piston rings into the crankcase. If you feel a steady and slight flow the engine is OK but if you feel a strong thump with each revolution you likely have significant engine wear. As compression blows into the crankcase as the air/fuel mixture is compressed in the same manner during the intake cycle engine oil can be absorbed into the combustion chamber. Motor oil will not burn as thoroughly as diesel fuel which could account for the color and oil residue at the exhaust mixing elbow. A remedy for strong blow-by is the use of a thicker oil grade or the use of thickening additives. They will result in increased compression and reduced blow-by and can extend the useful life of a tired engine. Regarding the overheating check that the thermostat is opening and closing at near the designated temperatures. Eliminate the possibility of a stuck thermostat that could by-pass the cooling water from the internal engine cooling passages. Sounds to me like you may have three separate but seemingly unrelated issues. Change fuel filters and make sure you have fresh fuel.

Feb 7, 2016
Thanks for your reply. Color in the lake is almost black. Color of water in bucket picture above is what is pouring out of the exhaust. Am looking now for a new diesel fuel filter. Will check for blow by. Thanks again. Jim

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
And ou are sure the mixing elbow is clean? I replaced mine last year...... the water side was perfectly clear but The exhaust did e was significantly clogged

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Clogged exhaust elbow is a very common cause of incomplete combustion, and less common clogged air intake. Running at light or no load or at idle can hasten the clogging.

Last edited:

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I had a 1gm in my old boat and had overheating problems even after replacing the elbow, decalcifying etc. Turned out to be a blown head gasket. Just something to check.

Feb 7, 2016
Replaced fuel filter (only one on this engine and none in line). Replaced diesel fuel and cleaned tank. Same problem. Removed remains of air filter. Max RPMs around 2600. Black sludge coming out with cooling water from exhauset. Removed oil filler cap and can discern noticeable air pulsing, compression being blown past the rings. Should I tear this down, or get a re-built engine?

Feb 7, 2016
No water in the oil. Pulling the injector for test today. This is a 1 clyinder engine.
Injector good. Replaced fuel filter (only one on this engine and none in line). Replaced diesel fuel and cleaned tank. Same problem. Removed remains of air filter. Max RPMs around 2600. Black sludge coming out with cooling water from exhauset. Removed oil filler cap and can discern noticeable air pulsing, compression being blown past the rings. Should I tear this down, or get a re-built engine.

Feb 7, 2016
May have discovered the problem. While once again checking the mixing elbow, I noticed that the inside of the exhaust hose is blocking 20-25% of exhaust within 2 inches of the elbow. Will get new hose tomorrow. Standby.

Feb 7, 2016
I did check the mixing elbow. After replacing exhaust hose, cleaning fuel filter ( was only the one on the engine) and replacing all diesel, still 2400-2500 RPM with black sludge out the exhaust. Good water flow out. REplaced impeller a few months ago and again visually inspected it. Ran tonight for 10 minutes at 2400 RPM, no overheat, but a trace of black smoke. Expect it to be the rings allowing blowby and black exhaust water and some black smoke. Will call diesel mechanic cause I don't want to tear into the engine.