Yamaha 9.9 high thrust motor for 1994 23.5 Hunter?

Jan 14, 2019
Hunter 23.5 Miami
Wrong Gunni, I have a few here and the parts list calls out the ECU. Why do you say that??
Screenshot (25).png

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
This version of the Tohatsu continues to use a mechanical fuel pump, not an electric pump, so that a battery is not required to start it. Maybe some genius can explain how an outboard that has no battery is going to power an ECU at start?

Jan 14, 2019
Hunter 23.5 Miami
It has a ECU and an electrical high pressure pump, ??? You generate enough energy to power the ECU, electric fuel pump, and injectors with a short pull of the rope. The mechanical pump is a low pressure pump that just supplies low pressure fuel to the vapor separation tank, the electric high pressure pump is inside of the tank. The 15hp EFI I had started very easy, very short pull. The "no battery" EFI system is the same as the conventional EFI system used by all the manufacturers, only diff is the low startup energy required. I assume everyone will eventually use this system, big improvement over the carb system for small motors.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
The 9.9hp motor doesn’t use an electric pump, the fuel tank is a simple small outboard fuel tank, the same as used in all other small Tohatsu outboards. There is no fuel pump in the fuel tank. You must be talking about some other motor.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
the electric high pressure pump is inside of the tank.
Sorry bud, there is no electric fuel pump on the 9.9 Tohatsu, and they don’t require one in the fuel tank. You should go check one out, they are pretty basic.

bdc1

Oct 27, 2014
Hunter 260 Rochester
I have the 9.9 with electric tilt (love it lots of power) but as they said changing it out would be quit a heave. you may want to consider the weight on the back of your 23 footer

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Sorry bud, there is no electric fuel pump on the 9.9 Tohatsu, and they don’t require one in the fuel tank. You should go check one out, they are pretty basic.
Come on , Gunni. Al has pictures and a pretty athuritative description, he being in the business. You never state your source or you your source of "facts", so it all sounds like only opinions. Al holds the trump card. Like Dave, who is a previous dealer, and people assume he lknows of what he speaks.

Edit to include the remark about Dave is because he gives his qualifications to justify the answers he does. Too many answers in these forums are "from memory (IIRC, etc)" or opinions that are not facts. This is not to say Dave's input is lacking by factual support, like Gunni's are- and OTHERS, TOO. Back when West made a catalog it was easy to say, "go to page XX for details". Not so any longer, though, and that's a shame.

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Ron, you might want to study ol’ Al’s engine electrical diagram before weighing in here. Maybe you can get him to tell you where the electric fuel pump is located on the 9.9 Tohatsu EFI! Me, I own a Tohatsu 9.8 and have been shopping the 9.9 EFI since it came out.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Have a Honda 9.9 on my H 23.5. Way more power than I ever needed. A lot of weight on the tail of a light boat. On the other hand, always starts up quickly, runs smooth and quiet. It's a 1996 so also long life. I would seek something a little lighter. My Honda uses about 6 gallons of gas a year! Use it every weekend from June thru October. Drives the gear heads in my marina nuts, takes them that much gas to get out of the marina.

Jul 5, 2017
Hunter 44DS Cape Coral
Just bought a dinghy and went with a 15hp Tohatsu. It is fuel injected and weights in at about 95 lbs. it may not be all that different in weight to a 9.9 but offer more power.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I recently advised leaving the forum over comments made by two folks regarding the Hunter 216 one of which was the final straw that broke the camel's back. Now I read "Like Dave, who is a previous dealer, and people assume he lknows of what he speaks" which is a fuller response to that comment made by Ron20234 in the above.

First when I began to shut down my dealership due to retirement in 2010 with the final paperwork dissolving my dealership, American Marine & Sail Supply in 2014, I represented many companies and for years was considered the largest stocking dealer of trailerable sailboats that included sales, service, warranty, innovations and exerience. I never have considered myself an expert but one who knows from knowledge and experience and at times consulted by manufacturers. This included being one of or if not the top dealer for years at Smith Mountain Lake for small boats to include Beneteau, Catalina and Hunter in the U.S. while representing others to include ComPac, Precison, American Sail, MacGregor and others manufacturers. I gave up Beneteau and MacGregor when opening in North Carolina as a dealer as friends of mine represented Beneteau and MacGregor. The awards for sales and service were numerous but I was very much involved with the small boats primarily at Hunter and Catalina. Sometimes I do mention being a top dealer for certain boats which is a fact not intending to brag but to let those that I have knowledge and experience. In addition I also represented various trailer manufacturers as well as motor mfgs. as well primarily Tohatsu. Friends included many from this industry who help when I call for their help.

I do not own a sailboat at this time. However, I enjoy helping other sailors passing on what I know. This included responding to this forum, writing letters, research, traveling instate as well as out of state to work on boats only asking for out of pocket expenses and so on. I spend more time than most on this forum giving back as I like to help others.

First, the Tohatsu 8 and 9.9 to include the Nissan and Mercury engines built by Tohatsu had a mechanical fuel pump, not an electric fuel pump seen on the larger engines unless things have changed since 2010. I suggest a break down diagram of the particular engine by year, model and serial number to answer that question for sure.

As for trailerable sailboats, it is industry wide that all transom hulls were and are rated up to 10 hp only and that includes the Hunter, Catalina, Precision, Beneteau and other manufacters to include the older Beneteau 235. By adding a larger engine for example a 30 hp will damage the transom not only with the weight but the full horse power as well. The only difference are the water ballasted Power Sailboats that accommodate a larger engines as the transoms are built to standards of a power boat transom. This forum is to help instead of attack which is why I left the forum but respond to those who contact me for help. I have too much respect for this forum and I want to make sure it remains that way.

Dave condon

Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26S New Port Richey, Fl
I have an extra long shaft Yamaha 8 high thrust, electric with power tilt. Best motor possible for myMac26s. A little heavy to be moving from one boat to another. I use a manual jack plate on my trihull to raise the motor mount to that for a long shaft. I bought it from craigs list for less than $200.

DocLex

Sep 14, 2015
Hunter 26 Cave Run Lake, KY
Messing with small sv (15-30 ft.) for past 15 years mostly on inland lakes. For sailing purposes, you don't want a heavy motor dragging a quarter (port or starboard) down disturbing the balance of the boat. I presently sail a 1995, Hunter 26 water ballast, with an equally old, 2 cycle Tahatsu 8 hp (8BEP model) outboard. It will start on the second pull every time even after sitting for more than a year (and it has electric starter than works even better). It's weight (64 lbs.) doesn't unbalance the boat and it has plenty of power even in choppy water of Lake Erie.