Yamaha 9.9 high thrust motor for 1994 23.5 Hunter?

Jan 14, 2019
Hunter 23.5 Miami
Yamaha 9.9 20 inch shaft high thrust motor for 1994 23.5 Hunter?
Any opinions on this motor? Is the high thrust a better choice than the regular 9.9 for my boat? Also considering a 8hp. I also want to use the motor on a skiff that has a 20inch transom.

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
I have the Yamaha 9.9 high thrust motor on a MacGregor 26S and am well pleased with its performance. It does 4.5 - 5 knots at half throttle. The high thrust would come in handy if you were trying to drive into high winds or heavy seas. Mine has electric start with a charging system. It is a very dependable motor.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
If the 20" is considered a long shaft, then thats good. Im pretty sure I have a 20" and it works well. It may occasionally come out of the water if we are futzing with the sails going up or down on a starboard tack. I think 9.9 hp is a bit overpowered. I have a honda 8.0 and I never have more than half throttle. Ive even had my 23.5 on Lake Huron in very strong winds and 3-4 foot waves, motoring, and I didnt need anything more than half or 3/4 throttle. Hull speed in calm conditions, (about 5.5 kts) is maybe 1/3. So if there is a cost and weight difference, dont bother with the 9.9. In retrospect, when I was buying a new motor a few years ago, a 5-7 hp would probably be more than adequate, and save a lot of money.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
My O'day 25 does great with my new Tohatsu 6 hp ultra long shaft high thust. My 25 is easly 1500 heavier then your 23.5

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
9.9 is more than you need but if you need that much on the other boat and are swapping them back and forth it is not unreasonable.
The 9.9 is going to be pretty heave though may not be something you want to do regularly unless you have some sort of hoist.

Jan 14, 2019
Hunter 23.5 Miami
Thanks for the info guys. I have been searching, really want electric start and alternator output to charge the battery. You can get it on 8hp and lower motors but its a rare option, I would prefer the regular 9.9, but again almost all of them do not have that. The high thrust 9.9 has all that stuff.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
9.9 is more than you need but if you need that much on the other boat and are swapping them back and forth it is not unreasonable.
The 9.9 is going to be pretty heave though may not be something you want to do regularly unless you have some sort of hoist.
The Tohatsu 9.8 and the 8 hp are the same motor, the only difference is the carburetor. Same weight.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I really liked my 9.9 long shaft high thrust Yamaha 4 stroke on my 23' O'Day. Plenty of reserve power when needed, runs very quietly, and sips gas. By using the boat tiller and the engine tiller at the same time, I could back up like a pro.:biggrin:

Jan 14, 2019
Hunter 23.5 Miami
I found a good price on a new left over Yamaha T9.9 elec start, tiller, 20inch shaft, with full warranty from a Yamaha dealer. It is cheaper than the Suzuki, Tohatsu and Mercurys with the same options. The portable 2 to 40 hp Mercury Tohatsu and Nissan are all made by Tohatsu and are exactly the same except for paint and decals. They are a decent motor but the materials are not as good as a REAL Mercury or Yamaha. I buy and sell outboards as a side business, the 2012 30hp Merc/Tohatsu I have, already has corrosion problems.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
One difference with the Merc is the "grip shift" that alone makes it worth the extra hundred dollars or so over the Tohatsu

Can't go wrong with a good price on a Yamaha either

Jan 14, 2019
Hunter 23.5 Miami
BTW, I recently bought a Tohatsu 15hp that was in a car accident. Was an easy fix, the tohatsu parts were cheap and easy to get. It has the new "battery free" fuel injection, awesome motor, I really like EFI , big dif in throttle response and starting compared to the carb motors.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
BTW, I recently bought a Tohatsu 15hp that was in a car accident. Was an easy fix, the tohatsu parts were cheap and easy to get. It has the new "battery free" fuel injection, awesome motor, I really like EFI , big dif in throttle response and starting compared to the carb motors.
Another reason not to put an outboard motor on your car.;)

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
The EFI small outboard has a big advantage - the fuel system is not open to the atmosphere and has no ability to absorb moisture from damp air into the fuel - a key ingredient in fuel contamination and corrosion salt clogging. You still need to close the tank vent when not in use, but I expect these EFI engines to be more reliable.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
The EFI small outboard has a big advantage - the fuel system is not open to the atmosphere and has no ability to absorb moisture from damp air into the fuel - a key ingredient in fuel contamination and corrosion salt clogging. You still need to close the tank vent when not in use, but I expect these EFI engines to be more reliable.
Exactly! One reason I switched to a Torqeedo outboard for my dinghy was that I was tired of rebuilding the carb on my Mercury every year. The other reason was that I hated keeping a container of gasoline in the cockpit.

Jan 14, 2019
Hunter 23.5 Miami
The EFI system on the bigger outboards are very trouble free for many years and easy to maintain. With EFI there is an ECU that you can read with a laptop to get engine data, such as hours, over heat, low oil codes etc, you can see everything when you run the motor, fire each cylinder and injector one at a time to quickly figure out your problem.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
The small Tohatsu EFI outboard is a mechanical system. No ECU, and they don’t require a battery. Bone simple.