Yamaha 33 Site for Trinity

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
People still create personal websites? I thought everyone (except me) was on Facebook. I may have to recreate mine someday.
Nice looking boat. Interesting, it was built in Hiroshima. I visited Peace Park when I was in the Marines in the early 70's. Didn't see much else of the city. I didn't know Yamaha made sailboats. My last Yamaha was a '71 250 Enduro.
The owners manual will be handy for other Yamaha boats. I looked on Practical Sailor for a review you could use but they don't have any. You need some pics of down below. Good job!

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
A friend of mine used to own one of these in PDX. I did a multi day delivery on his boat from Olympia to Astoria. Solid blue-water-designed vessel, that can pretty much go anywhere in the world.
His was the late-70's one with the YSM-12 diesel under the fore peak. Given the inherent great efficiency of the drive train, it powered the boat easily at 6 kts. Ridiculously thrifty on Diesel -- we used to kid him about having to drain off excess diesel from the tank each year! :)
I sailed with him quite a number of times, and it has a light touch on the tiller and it was difficult to put the lee rail under even with the 130, in a strong breeze.
By US production boat standards, deck gear is way up-sized. Standard storage for quick-access for a life raft. Bridge deck with full traveler. Nice size cockpit drain... really an easy boat to certify to Cat. One requirements.

The OP identifies as being a Y-25 owner. Is this Y-33 a new purchase? Was the Y-25 the one that moored down the North Portland Harbor channel for many years? Pretty boat.

Aug 27, 2009
Yamaha 33 Portland
You're right, I had a Y25 at Captains Moorage, then a Y30 in Hayden Bay. We've just brought Trinity down from Victoria last week. Northerly weather down the coast and ran under the jib. Blowing 15 to 25 and following seas at 6 to 8 feet. One of the guys said he saw 10.4 kn on the gps, but we averaged something better than 6. The Y33 is a much better boat offshore than her smaller sisters.

The headsail furler jammed when we turned into Columbia River and ripped the sail into pieces. This was strangely hilarious and stressful. The compass light failed and we struck something off of Grays Harbor. Picked up fishing net in the prop. One broach that broke the tiller pilot mount on the tiller - It was fairly mild with four inches of water in the cockpit, but left us hand steering the last day. It was a great run, but felt like standing on a crumbling cliff most of the way. I'll have a new sail in a few weeks, then it'll be river sailing for the summer.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2004
Yamaha 30 - Sidney
Congrats Richard! We have the Y 30-2 (tall rig)
I wish I could move up to the 33 but .... :)
Two quick questions:
- What is the length of your v-berth? The better half finds ours a bit tight.
- Is the new diesel in the forepeak or under the cockpit? And did you change it over or had it already been?

Enjoy Trinity
Craig
SV Satori
Victoria

Aug 27, 2009
Yamaha 33 Portland
The forward V is 6'7" from the bulkhead to the front edge of the cushion, but it's pretty narrow at your feet. There's a pretty good drawing on page 1-7 of the manual and it provides great access to the fuel tank and engine. I haven't slept in the Vee as it's full of sails. I prefer the quarter berth, though it's small for two.

The new engine is under the forward V berth and fits with plenty of room to work. The previous owners installed the engine - Twice! (the first installation had no siphon break for the exhaust and seawater flooded the cylinders). The Beta 25 is plenty of power.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
People still create personal websites?
I built my own website. Used Adobe Dreamweaver to build each box within a box within a box...

Nice site. Love the Yamaha 33. A good ten years ago I had a chance to get me one. It was a one-owner boat and the guy was being forced to sell because of his wife. I didn't buy it but one of the Yacht Salesmen did, junked it and put his power boat in the slip. The ower's wife died a year later. He died a few year after that. He loved that boat.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I built my own website. Used Adobe Dreamweaver to build each box within a box within a box...
I used to have one many years ago, but our home service provided decided to drop hosting of personal websites. It looks like Google might be hosting sites these days.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I realize this is off-topic, but there is a bare-bone hosting site that costs literally pennies. But you have to know what you are doing. My bill last month was 30 cents.