Y33 Mast inside makeup

Oct 28, 2015
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow
Hi All, I'm about to replace my original Furuno mast mounted radar dome on my 1983 Yamaha 33 with the Garmin HD model. I am not pulling the mast to hopefully do this. I want to pull the two new wires (power and ethernet cables) with the single Furuno wire bundle. The wires come out of a 3/4" hole in the top of the cabin. Has anyone done something similar and have suggestions? Does anyone have pictures of the internal mast configuration? Does it have electrical conduits? How are the lines routed in the mast? Any help and/or pictures would be helpful. Thanks.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Carigdog I had my mast down in 2016 for a total refitting. I rewired but kept the radar. The cable is one piece from the dome on the mast to the display in the NAV Station.
IMG_0399.JPG
CAL Jensen installed in thinwall PVC. The PVC is attached to the mast using rivets. The radar cable is in it's own conduit that ends just below the hole in the mast at the dome, and exits the base.
IMG_0414.JPG
My mast is deck stepped. So I had holes in the mast step to direct the cable through the deck and into the boat.

Oct 28, 2015
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow
Hi John, It sounds like you don't have a Yamaha sailboat, is that correct? I'm trying to find out the particulars of the Yamaha 33 mast insides. The Yamaha is a keel stepped mast. Yours sounds more like my previous Cal 2-29 setup.
Thanks, Craig

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Understand Craig. Confused by the Cal 2-29. That said. The pvc type conduit is a common technique in the boat industry. Stops the wires from banging inside the mast.

Oct 28, 2015
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow
Update, I was able to connect the two new Garmin wires to the old Furuno cable and successfully pull them through the mast. I made an adapter plate to mount the new Garmin 18HD radar dome to the old Furuno mount. Got that successfully mounted, then spliced the power cable inside the top of the cabin and put in an ethernet waterproof connector and the radar is now working!

Attachments