Xantrex Freedom Marine Charger/Inverter issue

Jul 31, 2020
Hunter 460 Annapolis
I currently have a Xantrex Freedom Marine charger/inverter on my Hunter 460. Periodically when AC power is coming in (connected to shore power or running the generator) all of the AC powered devices in the boat shut off. To get everything back on I have to take my open palm and slap the top of the charger/inverter. (yes, for real. Former owner passed this workaround on to me). This doesn't happen when inverting.

Has this happened to anyone else with the system? Or what could be causing this inside the charger? Something "sticking"? The manual says "no user serviceable parts" so I am not even sure if I can open it to see what is going on. I'll contact Xantrex but this is one of their discontinued products so wanted to check here first. Thanks all

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Yes, like Don says. I would open the cover when it does not work and using a plastic probe gently move the large components until it starts to work. There may be a broken solder connection on the PC board. If you were unable to locate the problem, it is time for a new one. You can't be without it.
Haro

Jul 31, 2020
Hunter 460 Annapolis
Yes, like Don says. I would open the cover when it does not work and using a plastic probe gently move the large components until it starts to work. There may be a broken solder connection on the PC board. If you were unable to locate the problem, it is time for a new one. You can't be without it.
Haro
Thanks @Don S/V ILLusion and @JoeWhite . Do you know if the relays can be cleaned or will they have to be replaced? Assuming that is the issue.
I also agree with you JoeWhite, I am a fulltime live-aboard and cant be without it, slapping my way to power - especially in winter!

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Yes, the relay can be replaced. But you may not be able to find one that fits there exactly.
You can install a relay that is placed outside of the container temporarily until you find a solution. I am pretty sure the existing relay is sealed so that it does not corroded.
Open the cover, take a note of the model number of the relay and see if you can find replacement for it. You would need to know how much current it takes to pull in the relay coil at 12VDC and the contact rating, probably 30Amps type C. Contact Digi-key, they may have a solution for you. Send them a photo of it, they are very helpful.
Let us know how it turns out.
Haro.