WTB Hunter 260 PNW

Mar 2, 2016
Hunter 260 trailer
HI, I joined this forum looking to buy a Hunter 260 in the $17-23K range and have been unsuccessful finding one anywhere close. I am ready to buy with cash in hand. I live in Eastern Oregon and can travel to pick one up but not to the east coast. Must have a trailer and wheel steering. Anyway if you are considering selling or know of one, please let me know. Thank you, Philip :)

Moving up from a Macgregor 26D

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you go to
http://www.searchcraigslist.org/

You can search all of craigslist in one search. I typed in Hunter 260 and several pages of hits came up. If you then look at the craigslist address on each ad, you can see what city the ad was placed. You don't actually have to click to see this.... you can just scan down the page.

Good luck....

I recently purchased the older twin brother of the H260 (H26) and I really like it a lot.

Mar 2, 2016
Hunter 260 trailer
Good link but I have scoured the internet on this one and there really is nothing listed aside from the east coast. I have resorted to looking for boats that have not yet been posted. There is one in MI that wont call back, one in NE I'm waiting to hear back on, and one in CA and one in Yakima WA that are way overpriced. Maybe not the best time to be looking but I got the bug. All the best.

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
I looked for over a year for my 2002 260.
The problem seems to be that since it went out of production because it wasn't a money maker for Hunter. Their has been nothing really made to replace it.
If you want to trailer or live inland this boat gives you the largest cockpit and most living room of any other boat.
Most owners have nothing really to upgrade too, so they upgrade, do all the mods and re power ( engine and sails)
The purchase price of any boat is just the starting point.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Yeah, they can be hard to find. I looked casually for a long time. I live in San Diego and it seemed like any for sale was across the country. Finally when one came up nearby, and in good condition, I had to get it. I moved up from a Macgregor 26S and settled on a H26. I agree with MaxinCalgary, these are nice trailer sailors. On the large side, but the water ballast make it easy to trailer.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina also made a similar boat called the Catalina 250 & 250MkII. Here is a review

http://www.cruisingworld.com/sailboats/catalina-250

I looked at one of these once and loved it but it did not have a trailer so I passed. You may have figured this out already but when you buy a 15 year old trailer sailboat, you are actually buying the sails, trailer and outboard. Replacing that stuff will cost you more than the boat.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Not a bad boat but not as sexy as the 260 IMHO. This next boat I'm planning to keep for a long time so I am going to get exactly what I want. I did hear back from a broker in MI that has a 98 with the features I am after. Fingers crossed. I'm hopping to get it done spring break. Looking forward to the upgrade.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998/Hunter-260-2875043/Minnetonka,-MN/United-States#.VtkFDOazrzM
I don't see a trailer mentioned in the ad. Is one included?

Oops, my bad, I see now it does say road trailer, but no picture. If I were you I'd get a lot more information about the trailer.

Mar 2, 2016
Hunter 260 trailer
Good catch, yes there is. The broker mentioned it when I spoke with him. Anyone have any experience with brokers by the way? I feel weird mailing a check to someone that large as I wasn't planning to physically go to get it myself.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Curious... What will it cost to deliver it to you? I was deterred by the added cost of getting a boat from very far away. I thought about flying to the location, then renting a truck one way to tow it back, fuel cost, etc. I wonder how much delivery cost is.

Mar 2, 2016
Hunter 260 trailer
That is a good question and I will post what happens when I get to that stage but I am guessing under $1,000. Its on a traitor and does not weigh too much. There are companies such as uship that may choose to add it to their load if already heading this way to make some extra cash. Yet to be determined. If it gets too expensive I may just go over myself but I really don't want to. Really don't want to. 1,500 miles appox.
Yes I will ask about the trailer but I have the feeling the broker may not know. From the pics does it look factory?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I was very close with the Hunter water ballast boats. It was not Hunter who stopped the production of the Hunter 260 but corporate made that decision against the wishes of Hunter. As for transport, insist on seeing their insurance policy. In addition, the tires are too close to the edges of the trailer it will sit on unless turned sideways somewhat but above all make sure it is well secured that the boat cannot move forward or backwards with additional tie downs. Had some delivered to me that way as a former dealer which is why I am making the suggestion.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Yes I will ask about the trailer but I have the feeling the broker may not know. From the pics does it look factory?
After looking more closely at the pictures, I see now one of the guide posts. From that it looks like it is a factory trailer, but then again most trailers have guide posts. Are there other pictures? If not have the broker take more and send them to you. If you are going to pull it back yourself, be sure you know the condition of the tires, brakes, lights, etc.

The '94 H26 I bought still had the original tires believe it or not. They looked good, but of course I had to replace them. I did make it the 60 miles home with them, but before I trailered it anymore I completely rebuilt the trailer, spent around $1500 on it, but now it's pretty much like new, except for the wood bunks.

I know what you are going through. I was somewhat frustrated not able to find one for sale close by. Are you looking at all resources? In addition to Craig's List; BoatTrader, YachtWorld, Sailboatlistings, oodle, sailboatowners(this site), etc.

I know you said you know exactly what you want, but have you considered a H26? You may find one of those closer to home.

Jan 19, 2010
How far is Eugene, Oregon? I found on this site (http://passion-yachts.com/inventory.html) an H26 for sale in Eugene ...

It is $1K more than the one you found in Minnesota but you will spend $1K+ getting the MI boat home and with more headache. You can probably talk this guy down some too...

Jan 19, 2010
Ah sorry

The link is broken so they must have sold it.... but they did have a Catalina 250. I did a simple google search for Hunter 26 for sale in Oregon.

Mar 2, 2016
Hunter 260 trailer
So it looks like its going to happen. I did see that 26 in Eugene but decided to hold out for the wheel steering. This last December I chartered a Hunter 33 off the west coat or Puerto Rico and fell in love with the wheel (have only tiller experience prior). The broker seems pretty legit so I'm going for it. I want to thank you guys for taking the time to read and reply and will post my experience with the transaction and shipping. Also look forward to some mods this summer, I ended up doing quite a bit to my Mac before I got sick of the short headroom.
Anyone put a shower in their 26/260? Or will I be the first?
Thinking a on-demand in the wet locker (vented of course) and a sump box under the floor.

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 26 Ghost lake
Sorry, you have no room in the head for a shower unless you are under 4 feet, also the water ballast tank fills the area under the floor so no sump. I use a solar shower in the cockpit. You can hang the water bag from the boom or bimini frame. G.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Yeah, there's no way to install a shower in the head. But, if the boat you're getting doesn't already have a pressure water system, you can convert to it by installing a pump. My boat came with that along with a transom shower. No hot water, but the shower I'm sure will be nice to have.
01616_gMTj78LzVR2_600x450.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
I think it was in one of Lynn and Lary Parday's books a description of taking a garden sprayer (like the kind you use for Round-Up) and replacing the end of the wand with a little more hose, and splicing in a shower head. Pump it up and you have a pressurized shower.

I've used solar showers with good results before and still have mine so as I read this story from the Pardays I could not help but think that if you painted the garden sprayers reservoir with flat black paint, you would achieve the same results. I might give it a try on my summer cruise this year.

upload_2016-3-7_20-7-40.jpeg