Wow...

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
personally meriachee, i wish you would keep it to yourself. but that's just me.
the one upside to the cold your sharing is it kills off allot of bugs without poison dumped everywhere.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Who needs AC boats when we make these. We got your wind.
While we in the northeast greatly appreciate Canadian generosity (especially with :beer:), many of us would prefer, not to be impolite, that you keep your Alberta Clippers to your self. :biggrin:

WX.jpg

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
steve fosset brought one of conner's stars and strips catamarans to chicago to do the mac race. happened to tie up next to me at cyc. nice guy. spent an afternoon chatting with him while his paid, olympian crew readied his boat. then by chance he passed quite close heading up the lake. i offered to save him a dock. they all laughed.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Funny thing is that we keep hearing about them, but what's interesting is that yesterday was above freezing, and the next two days are right around freezing. The polar vortex that is more the proper meteorological explanation, is gracing you guys with it's presence, and we haven't seen it. (yet)

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
So, ignore the land... The wind is blowing 10 knots relative to the water. The boat can sail to windward in 10 knots of wind, get up on its foils, then turn downwind and broad reach at higher than wind speed. We saw that happen all the time in the AC. The boat can't go straight up wind or straight down; it needs to tack and gybe, but that's probably just an approximation in the narration to make it layman-friendly. I don't see anything here breaking the laws of physics or generating free energy. It seems that way when you look at the land, but the boat isn't sailing on the land, it's on the water.

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
OH Yeah, I forgot. Watching the new go karts that are imposters for AC boats, the kiwis won by pedaling bikes to trim the head sail.

I'm gonna go watch the Ted Turner documentary when he one to fight off this depression

Jan 11, 2014
It seems that way when you look at the land, but the boat isn't sailing on the land, it's on the water.
Relative to the land, the air isn't moving. Water is moving relative to the land and the air. When the boat moves opposite of the water direction at the speed of the water current, it is not moving relative to the land and air.

May 17, 2004
When the boat moves opposite of the water direction at the speed of the water current, it is not moving relative to the land and air.
Correct, but they would never just be sitting still relative to the land. If they were, then the current would start to pull them into the wind again. Once they get pulled into the wind they're sailing, building apparent wind which then keeps them sailing as they turn down to a broad reach again.

Edit: By "wind" I mean air which is moving relative to the water.

May 17, 2004
Sorry, but when I look at the water in the video, I say there is some wind....

Dave in Tampa
There is. Wind relative to the water. That's the same thing that makes waves anyplace else - a difference in motion between the surface of the water and the air above it. The water and the air don't care whether or not they're moving relative to some land mass that is yards or miles away, just their motion relative to each other.

(For a bunch of sailors we all seem pretty concerned about the land... Take it out of the equation and this is all much easier.)

Jan 11, 2014
There is. Wind relative to the water. That's the same thing that makes waves anyplace else - a difference in motion between the surface of the water and the air above it. The water and the air don't care whether or not they're moving relative to some land mass that is yards or miles away, just their motion relative to each other.

(For a bunch of sailors we all seem pretty concerned about the land... Take it out of the equation and this is all much easier.)
Let's assume the current is a tidal current and not a river current. What happens at slack water? No current, no wind.