Wood spreader on Mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2009
Pearson P-30 Kingston
Broken spreader on a P-30, What type of wood used for this and question on find out the year of the boat? It has a ID tag with only 19 on it. I believe it in the early 70's, no haul ID on stern.

fpr

Aug 28, 2009
Looking for a Vagabond 47 Beaufort, NC
Look carefully on the upper starboard corner of your stern. The HIN number should be there. Perhaps under a layer of paint.
The attachment is a look at the numbering system.

I'm also looking for spreader dimensions for a P30.
They are missing and holding up my client's first sail of his boat.

I've been searching this site and the Net with no luck.
The riggers don't want to tell me the specs 'cause they want to make them for me....
I'd prefer to make them exactly to the originals....spruce and all.....

Any specs around for a tiller????
The PO cut off an oar and bolted it to the rudder head...#$%^&*:)eek:
That's gotta go !!! ASAP.....

fred

Attachments

timkb

Sep 12, 2009
Pearson 30 Hull #606 Lanoka Harbor, NJ
I have a P30. Upon purchase last year I had to have it shipped. With mast down I found 1 spreader with end rot. I had a cabinet maker fabricate new spreaders from straight grained mahogany. I have old spreaders I could measure for you. Or send if you agree to pay for shipping and return.

fpr

Aug 28, 2009
Looking for a Vagabond 47 Beaufort, NC
Found spreaders in a boatyard scrapped mast pile.....'Dumpster Diving'.....

Still looking for an original tiller....

fred

Aug 21, 2009
Pearson P-30 Kingston
Thank for the information, but no number to be found. It was build in 1971 by the reg. paper work and by the companionway there a tag with the number 17 on it. What i have read that it was in 1972 when all boat manfactors had to put on haul number on. There no number on my boat and the paint has be strip.

Apr 14, 2010
Pearson P-30 Seattle
This is an old chat, I know.
If Fred from NC is still looking for infor on a P-30 tiller, I am refinishing mine right now and can draw an outline on brown paper. Also could send digital photographs of it.
Me, I need the measurements of the P-30 wood spreader.
Thanks,
B

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Houston, TX / Rock Hall, MD
Shadylady,

If the tag you are refering to is the bronze oval plaque under the companionway opening, then that is the Pearson builders plate and the "17" indicates hull number 17.

With the start of 1973 builders were required to use HIN (hull identification numbers). You can see the Pearson number system here:

http://www.pearsoninfo.net/info/sn.htm

Dave
s/v ARIEL

Aug 21, 2009
Pearson P-30 Kingston
Hi just a up date and a question. I found Mahogany 2X6X8 at a lumber yard at a cost of $64.00 and had them cut it in half so it would fit in my (land support vehicle, GEO Tracker)to bring it back to the shop. I remove the broken spreader and with the information that timkb had sent to me (Thank you) and 3.5 hrs in the wood shop i have two new one made. Now the next Question.

What do i use to seal the Mahogany spreader? I have read about have the top of the spreader painted white to protect it from the sun rays. Do you paint it frist and then seal it?

Mar 20, 2009
Pearson 32 Liberty Bay-Poulsbo, WA
Use paint on both sides. The protection gained far outweighs any joy you get from seeing the bright underside.

Another thought - rigrite.com has most/many of the original parts Pearson used including aluminum airfoil spreaders cut to length. One less thing to maintain.

Status
Not open for further replies.