Wiring a minn kota onboard alternator charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I think this is correct. The question is which battery should you connect up the devices you charge with? Ie, which battery gets charged first - and which battery gets charged after the other one has reached 13.3 volts............
Once the combiner sees 13.3 volts it puts both in parallel, so one doesn't charge after the other. They are combined and both are charged at the same time. Now that doesn't mean they will both be fully charged at the same time.

This link explains all of the different scenarios.....

http://www.yandina.com/combInfo.htm#Q8

... not this is irrelevent to you and I if we only have one bank of two 6 volt batteries in series. We don't need one,

Sum

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
What i mean by "getting charged first". The combiner is measuring both battery voltages and as long as both of them are under 13.2 (or 13.3) volts, the relay is off and the batteries are electrically disconnected from each other.

As soon as one battery reaches 13.2 (and it does not matter which one), the relay in the combiner is switched on and connects the batteries so both are now getting charged.

If you have a high output alternator (like 50 to 100 amps) and you have this connected to one of the batteries, you can expect that the voltage will fairly soon exceed 13.2 and both batteries will get charged. This is the way things are supposed to work.

But... if you are only charging with low current sources like a typical under 10 hp outboard or a solar panel, you may not be able to rely on the battery being charged to have its voltage exceed 13.2 volts and then start charging both batteries. For example, say you are on a trip away from shore power and are basically generating a little more current than you are using each day. In this condition, it is fairly unlikely that either the solar panel or the outboard will cause the battery voltage to get anywhere near 13 volts.

So the second battery remains disconnected by the combiner because the voltage never got up to 13.2 volts. In fact, the second battery could get very discharged and since the combiner is only looking for the voltages to exceed 13.2 volts, the batteries never get connected.

Ie, whatever battery the charging source is directly connected to "gets charged first" and the second battery only gets charged when the voltage exceeds 13.2 volts.

So.,.. I'm guessing for the typical application here, the combiner is interesting but you should beware of its limitations because of not having a high output alternator. On a trip, you probably still need the switches and voltage measuring on both batteries to makes sure they stay charged.

Yup, I like only one big battery and it should last longer. All my safety stuff have their own batteries (cell phone and portable VHF) and the outboard is easy to pull start. Ive got this one big battery on a charge monitor so I also know what has gone in and what has gone out.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
What i mean by "getting charged first". The combiner is measuring both battery voltages and as long as both of them are under 13.2 (or 13.3) volts, the relay is off and the batteries are electrically disconnected from each other. ............
Ok, I see what you mean. That makes sense and maybe a combiner shouldn't be used with the size outboards we use since they have such a wimpy charging system.

With my car alternator charging system on the boat even if the batteries are in the low 12's the charge voltage goes to over 13 volts right away. Most of the guys that are using these have larger sailboats with diesel motors and car type alternators that put out 60-200 amps, so for them it looks like a good deal.

I'll still be real interested to see what the new outboard pulls amp wise during starting. If I go from my 8 gauge wire to larger I'll probably go to 4 gauge like you did and be done with it.

c ya,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

walt

Jun 1, 2007
No problem.. probably will be one or two weeks but Ill measure the outboard wire diameter and the length. Ill probably video tape the charge monitor readout when the outboard is being started. The readout might not display very fast current transients (likely they will be averaged) but hopefully will be somewhat ballpark. As soon as I know, so will you.

Jun 30, 2007
Macgregor - Spring Creek, FL
It's been interesting reading all the discussions in this thread. It sounds like the "combiner" is sort of what I was originally seeking info about, the MK-1. I've learned from your post and some others in other places that indeed 5.9 amps put out by my 8 horse Tohatsu isn't enough to do squat. I read in another forum this guy after running an hour with his 200 horse, probably pushing 30 amps only brought his second battery up 30%. I'm in the process of installing an onboard 110 ac 2 bank charger to keep my 2 agm batteries charged. Since I've installed shorepower I can charge at marinas. My cranking battery is an optima D34M which is also a deep cycle battery and runs my auto pilot. Both my batteries will be kept isolated and if I can find a spot to mount a 30 watt solar panel to charge the battery under the sink, I will. Rollup ones that can go on top of my bimini are too costly. The top of my laz lid is where I crawl onboard and is in the bimini shade too much. I like your placement, Sum but I don't weld. The top of the pop top runs afoul when I put up my cover. Any ideas? I like the idea of the batteries up front but I've got 80 lbs. of water stored up there so my battery placement work fine for us, one in the laz to crank with and run the auto pilot, one under the sink to do the rest.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Solar mounting option.. sort of a poor man solarstik..

This is what Ive been using for the last season, works very well. Its very good placement for not having partial shadow, out of the way, can be angled and rotated for optimum exposure, easy to remove for trailering - just slide the pole out and disconnect the wire (I'm using a trailer light electrical connector)

Its based around plastic fishing rod holders and in this case, a carbon fiber tube (I had this one laying around for about 10 years wondering what I was going to do with it.. finally found a good use). You have to cut AL and do some work with glass end epoxy. I think everything (excluding the panel) is under 2 pounds.

Attachments

Jun 30, 2007
I don't have a stern rail but there is already a rodholder mounted in the motor well that should work fine. Great idea of yours and thanks.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I don't have a stern rail but there is already a rodholder mounted in the motor well that should work fine. Great idea of yours and thanks.
I like what Walt did also. I'm going to put an 80 watt where my present one is and move the 40 watt over the generator.

Personally I would go as large as you could go for your situation. You won't regret it down the road and as you add things to the boat.

I've posted this before, but here is a link to the 40 watt I bought....

http://www.solarblvd.com/product_info.php?info=p1401_Solar-Cynergy-40-Watt-12-Volt-Solar-Panel.html

$135 is pretty good. I think I paid over $400 about 12 years ago for a 40 watt. Here is their other panels....

http://www.solarblvd.com/index.php?cat=c25_Individual-Solar-Panels.html

I'm going to order one of these from them soon.............

http://www.solarblvd.com/product_info.php?info=p1331_Solar-Cynergy-80-Watt-12-Volt-Solar-Panel.html

............ They have good prices and the service/shipping on my other one was fast with no problems.

.......... I've learned from your post and some others in other places that indeed 5.9 amps put out by my 8 horse Tohatsu isn't enough to do squat...............
People tend to forget that 6 amps is when the outboard is running 5000-6000 rpm and running along at 1/2 throttle is going to produce less than 6 amps. In my case with my CPAP machine using about 35-45 amp/hours a night I would have to run on the outboard at WOT for 6-7 hours a day. Not too practical. My generator will replace it in 30-45 minutes and now with the solar panel that time is down to about 15 minutes on the average per day.

c ya,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Jun 30, 2007
Thanks, Sum. I was looking on eBay at a framed 30 watt one for $85 but 40 would definitely be better.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Again from annother forum------

Maine Sail

Swab

Measuring Battery State of Charge / Volts
I have seen the discussion many times here where folks say they monitor their batteries state of charge via a volt meter. While this can be fairly accurate when the battery has been allowed to come to a resting voltage, the reality is that when you are on the boat and cruising, attaining a 12+ hour resting voltage can be very difficult.

I wanted to do a photo/time/voltage experiment to illustrate why using a simple voltage test on a boat may not be the most accurate way of checking the resting voltage of a battery especially with short resting times.

In order to check the state of charge (SOC) on a lead acid battery the battery should have rested, meaning no input voltage/amps or output/loads, not even the stereo memory, for a considerable amount of time. If the battery is not allowed to rest, and you have recently run the engine, or had a load turned on, the SOC will not be accurate for many hours.

To conduct this illustration I used a bench charger, stop watch and a DVM. I set my camera up on the tripod and photographed the battery over 24 hours (actually I still have 12 hours to go as of this posting).

The battery, a Trojan group 24 deep cycle, had been on my bench and drained to about a 60% SOC. It then sat for a week before I took my baseline SOC reading. The resting voltage was 12.24 volts or about 60% of charge according to Trojan Battery. I then plugged in the 20 amp charger for about 130 seconds and then unplugged it.

This was only 130 seconds of charging and it affected the resting SOC for at least 11 hours and was off by about 10% even after sitting for 11+ hours.

Battery SOC at Resting Voltage and 80f (Source Trojan Battery)

100% = 12.73
90% = 12.62
80% = 12.50
70% = 12.37
60% = 12.24
50% = 12.10
40% = 11.96
30% = 11.81
20% = 11.66
10% = 11.51

Resting voltage Fri 10:04 P.M. / 12.24 Volts:

Charge Applied Fri 10:05:42 P.M. Voltage rises quickly to 13.97 volts:

By 10:05:56, or within 14 seconds, the voltage was already 14.3 volts:

I had unplugged the charge at roughly 130 seconds and the voltage was already dropping back to 13.45 volts at 10:07:15 which was 1:57 seconds from where I turned on the charger:

I took the next photo on Saturday at 2:13 A.M. a little over four hours after turning off the 130 second charge. The voltage still read 12.44 volts or roughly 76% SOC:

Unfortunately I fell asleep and did not take the next photo until Saturday morning at 8:42 A.M. when the voltage still read 12.38 volts or roughly 70% SOC. Based on my calculations the battery should still be at about 12.24-12.25 resting based on 130 seconds of charging and what went into it:

Here's the photo from the 12+ hour mark, 10:26 A.M. Saturday, still reading approx 70% SOC:

Here's the photo after 24 hours rest. The battery is back to just about where I had calculated it would be. As of this morning at roughly 34 hours it was still at 12.26 volts and seems to have finally attained a resting voltage:

If you were to run your engine before bed at say 10:00 P.M. then wake up and take an SOC reading at 8:45 A.M. you could be off by as much as 10% in the wrong direction thinking you are at a higher SOC when in reality you are as much as 10% lower. If that lower range is 60% you only have 10% bank capacity not 20% before you hit the 50% re-charge threshold.

Casco Bay, ME
1979 CS-36T

My Sailing Photo Galleries (LINK)

04-06-2009

Camaraderie

Founder Emeritus!

Why is Maine's Post Important?

I received a question asking about why Mainesails post was important.

It is a great piece of work and let me try to explain the implications for cruising sailors that don't have a lot of battery knowledge.​

It is really for cruising sailors (and that includes weekenders!) who need to KNOW what charge their batteries have, and when they need to re-charge, and how to measure the % of charge.​

To begin with, ANY 12V battery will have a fully charged voltage reading of right about 12.7V.

You can't get "fuller" than that as it is 100% full.​

Now...when you use a charger to charge a battery up to 100% it will start out charging at 14.5V or so and gradually taper down to 13.3V when the battery is full. The funny thing is that when you remove the charger from the battery and take a voltage reading on the battery an hour later...the battery alone will read 13.3V...even though 12.7 if FULL. This is a FALSE reading and not REAL battery capacity...just a surface charge left on the battery plates from the charger. You can get rid of this surface charge by placing a heavy load on the battery for a few minutes...and THEN take a reading after the surface charge has been removed.​

OK so far? Hope so.

Now cruisers KNOW that once their batteries reach 12.2V they are 50% discharged and need to be re-charged or their battery lifetime will be reduced. So...it is very important to know WHEN you've hit 12.2V AND that your voltmeter is giving a TRUE reading of the actual battery voltage and NOT some voltage mixed with a surface charge.

MaineSails little experiment has proven that even a very brief charge to a 12V battery will leave a VERY long lasting (up to 24 hours) false reading on a voltmeter. And this could cause you to slowly destroy your batteries by letting them go too far discharged without knowing it. Example: If you had a battery that was REALLY 50% discharged...but got a little "sun" from a small solar panel...that battery would still be showing it was nearly full at 10PM at night while you burned the lights and ran the TV or stereo and drove the battery into deep discharge!​

You see...his experiment proved that even with only 1/2 of an amp/hour being put back into a 100 amp/hour 50% discharged battery by a charger, an alternator or a solar panel or wind vane...the batery voltages readings will indicate that the battery does NOT need to be charged until a full 24 hours have passed and a true reading is once again obtained.

Of course...anyone cruising cannot wait 24 hours to use their batteries. They need to KNOW when the batteries need charging AND they need to run the stuff on their boat like knotmeters and reading lamps!

MaineSails point is that it is highly unlikely that the voltage reading you are taking from your batery indicate anything of value (unless the battery is dead!
)

Cruisers had better get a real amp/hour meter and not rely on a voltmeter if they don't want to murder their batteries.

Cam

Do you know how to see the invisible off topic forums?click

04-06-2009

Camaraderie

Founder Emeritus!

The next question in the original thread that arose was...so how do I monitor battery state of charge without a voltmeter?

The traditional answer is with a Xantrex link monitor...since West Marine sells them. I've used them with great success but the cheapest one today is $349 bucks! Mainesail has found another one that actually does more than the Links do...and for only $199....the Victron BMV-600. Great find!!

This product will measure AMPS both in and out of the battery as well as AMPhours remaining in the battery and the TIME you have remaining on the battery at the present amp usage! It will also sound an alarm at low battery and give you voltage readings.

It is quite easy to hook up. It comes packed with a shunt that looks like this:

You simply move ALL cables off the negative side of your battery and attach them to the bolt on one side of the shunt. Then you make up a new battery cable that goes from the other bolt on the shunt to the negative terminal on the battery. A couple of other cables are included with the monitor and they just plug in as directed. Simple and easy and no more worries about how much juice you have left!

Read more about it or read the installation manual here:

http://www.victronenergy.com/battery...and%20bmv-602/

Cam

04-06-2009

Izzy1414

Mast Man

My post was more or less asking to take the experiment one more step to see how puting a load on the battery after charging to see how that affected the time it took to get to the rested voltage state. My thinking was that for those of us who only have volt meters, maybe the reading might be more accurate with the surface charge removed. That's important in the real world situation (at least mine) because I usually run electrical systems right up until we leave the boat and would like to know the general state of the batteries then instead next weekend when I get back to the boat. BTW, Maine Sail, I forgot in my original post, THANK YOU for your excellent work and post.

Only bad witches are ugly.........Glinda, The Good Witch of the North

Izzy1414View Public ProfileSend a private message to Izzy1414Find all posts by Izzy1414

04-06-2009

Giulietta

PARTY HOST!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTTY

what size is your alternator?

BLUE!!

and you dont want to mix old and new batteries. what i would do would be to take one of the old ones and use that as a starter battery. that is if they are a combo type or a starting battery. if they are deep cycle only then starting using them can be rough on them.

Car batteries from the local supermarket 50 Euros each..but I went a mile further...got the ones that are sealed...

if you start from scratch i would get a battery for a 4 cylinder car ( i dont know if american sizes are the same as over there ) and hook that to the 1 position. then get 2 80 or even better 110 amp batteries for the house load on position 2.

Our cars have same size batteries, they just go faster and longer than yours and look better too...but if I have already 2, I just get a new 80 for the engine, no?

as for the genny, for 10 days on the hook charging your battery 4 hours a day on a honda 1000 I genny you might burn 1.5 gallons of gas in 10 days. if you get a much bigger charger, ie a 80 amp one, you could probably only run it 1.5 to 2 hours a day. if you get a honda 2000 i you might be able to run the air conditioning if you have it

even 1 hour on the diesel is too much..$8.00 a gallon, plus the inconveniece of wearing the engine and all...

Thankst.

I think my wife and I will buy a 1000 honda..

PLEASE READ THIS WELCOME POST

Last edited by Giulietta; 04-06-2009 at 05:49 PM.

GiuliettaView Public ProfileSend a private message to GiuliettaFind all posts by Giulietta

04-07-2009

eMKay

Big Freakin' Lake Sailor

Put a load on that battery for about 30 seconds after your charge experiment, I would be willing to bet you 5 bucks it goes back down to the real state of charge. Try it out.

eMKayView Public ProfileSend a private message to eMKayFind all posts by eMKay

04-07-2009

Maine Sail

Swab

Did that

Quote:

Originally Posted by eMKay

Put a load on that battery for about 30 seconds after your charge experiment, I would be willing to bet you 5 bucks it goes back down to the real state of charge. Try it out.

Did that still gave a false reading when compared to a 24 hour rest. I don't know what the magic time/amp draw would be to get you there.

-Maine Sail

Casco Bay, ME

1979 CS-36T

04-07-2009

Camaraderie

Founder Emeritus!

Conventional wisdom seems to be a load of 1/3 the battery capacity for 5 minutes removes any surface charge. I have no idea whether this is true. But for a 100amp hour battery this would mean a 33 amp load and at the end of 5 minutes you would have depleted the actual battery by 3% more (3 amp/hours) while removing the surface charge. Would a 16.5 amp load for 10 minutes do the same...or an 8 amp load for 20 minutes? Dunno.

I guess this could be tested with a known state of charge...a brief charging event like in Maines experiment and a Link type monitor hooked up to do the measurements.

Perhaps Maine can tackle this one NEXT winter!

Cam

04-07-2009

eMKay

Big Freakin' Lake Sailor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maine Sail

Did that still gave a false reading when compared to a 24 hour rest. I don't know what the magic time/amp draw would be to get you there.

Cool. How much off was it? That's my way of testing batteries at work, but I don't have to get it perfect. It does explain why our automatic tester is usually wrong. We have to use that tester to generate warranty claims, and a lot of time it shows a battery as good when I know it ain't. On cars that don't need a warranty claim I just use my voltmeter.

Last edited by eMKay; 04-07-2009 at 10:14 PM.

eMKayView Public ProfileSend a private message to eMKayFind all posts by eMKay

04-07-2009

sailaway21

Tactician

Am I wrong to presume that a hydrometer would give an accurate state of charge at any point of testing?

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sailaway21View Public ProfileSend a private message to sailaway21Find all posts by sailaway21

04-07-2009

Camaraderie

Founder Emeritus!

Sway...there is a lag time on SG rise and fall so you do have to wait a bit after charging or after discharge loads to allow the diffusion of the H2SO4 to fully take place. I have heard to wait from 20 minutes to an hour. (Obviously you cant do it if you just added water either...do a charge cycle)

For the benefit of the thread...here's a specific gravity chartlet:

1.265 100%

1.225 75%

1.190 50%

1.155 25%

1.120 0%

This is at 80 degrees a 4 for every 10 degrees over that and subtract 4 for every 10 degrees under that.

Cam

Last edited by Camaraderie; 04-07-2009 at 11:37 PM.

CamaraderieView Public ProfileSend a private message to CamaraderieFind all posts by Camaraderie

07-21-2009

tachyon46

Fluctuat nec mergitur

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaraderie

The next question in the original thread that arose was...so how do I monitor battery state of charge without a voltmeter?

The traditional answer is with a Xantrex link monitor...since West Marine sells them. I've used them with great success but the cheapest one today is $349 bucks! Mainesail has found another one that actually does more than the Links do...and for only $199....the Victron BMV-600. Great find!!

This product will measure AMPS both in and out of the battery as well as AMPhours remaining in the battery and the TIME you have remaining on the battery at the present amp usage! It will also sound an alarm at low battery and give you voltage readings.

I would be interested to know whether the Argus Battery Bug that has surfaced in another thread provides equivalent information. The only user review I found claimed that this product is only useful if installed on a brand new battery, but that sounds a bit strange. Has anyone tried it?

Fluctuat nec mergitur

tachyon46View Public ProfileSend a private message to tachyon46Find all posts by tachyon46

07-21-2009

Camaraderie

Founder Emeritus!

Tachyon... I actually like the approach of the Battery Bug for some things and I would think it would be of particular interest to those with small boats and relatively small battery banks. Note that despite the single link you provided...there is a different Bug for different capacity batteries UP to 300ah's and prices range from $79 to $169.

They are to be installed on each battery which makes them affordable only for small systems and they cannot be used over 300ah's.

In terms of function...the one "plus" they bring is to measure the batteries ACTUAL decrease in capacity over time...so you can tell that your 100ah battery when fully charged now only holds 70ah's. A very nice feature.​

On the other hand...it does not tell you how many amps you are using NOW or how many amps you have put back in with solar panels or alternator, or how many hours you have left at the current rate of usage.​

Both meters provide voltage readings and a good indication of remaining amp hours available.

The BB MUST be attached to the battery terminals directly...which may make monitoring it a bit of a pain.

For someone wanting to take care of their battery and monitor capacity and not on a big budget...the BB sounds like a good value.

Cam

07-22-2009

tachyon46

Fluctuat nec mergitur

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaraderie

Tachyon... I actually like the approach of the Battery Bug for some things and I would think it would be of particular interest to those with small boats and relatively small battery banks.

<--snip-->

The BB MUST be attached to the battery terminals directly...which may make monitoring it a bit of a pain.

FWIW -- I sent off an email query to Argusanalalyzers.com (manufacturer of the Bug) regarding the direct mounting constraint. I was told this is due to the calibrated resistance in the leads, but that they are working on a model with leads long enough to allow it to be mounted in a more convenient location.

Fluctuat nec mergitur

Well that was what I was doing until Walt suggested to me that my two batteries might/would? charge faster if I had the switch on "both".

Now I have a charging system using the car alternator that has a potential of putting out 60 amps if the batteries would accept that much whereas the outboard alternator can only put out 6 amps max. Is that the reason you suggested that Walt?

I use to charge the batteries one at a time with the alternator watching their voltage with a ....................

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/inside-12.html

........................digital meter that gives voltage to a tenth of a volt. When I would get one up to 14.1 to 14.3 with the alternator I would switch to the other. So on the last trip of 18 days I would charge them both at the same time and it seemed to be faster and I can see the logic as the alternator had the ability to supply all of the current either one could take at any moment of charge. One factor that stopped this from being a fair test with what I did before is that I had added the 40 watt solar panel, so the batteries weren't run down as much as before. Sometimes though I wouldn't charge them every day and then they were lower. With the solar panel and charging like this my charging times running the generator went down from about 40 minutes a day to about 15 to 20 on the average.

Now I use a lot of electricity with the CPAP machine I run at night, about 36 to 45 amp/hours a day. Our other main user is the depth finder that we run all the time we are underway. I don't know at this point what it uses, but will once I add my amp meter to the system.

Since I now charge both batteries at the same time I use them usually at the same time. I figure it is better on them to not draw them down as far as using them by themselves. If I check them separately with the volt meter they still are never exactly the same voltage, but only vary by .1 to .2 volts. They are different ages and different manufactures and sizes.

Now that I use the system like this maybe I'll try two 6 volt batteries like Walt in the future.

Rob I don't have a generator that runs a battery charger, the system charges the batteries directly with the alternator. This is more efficient than running a generator that then powers a battery charger.

I'm about ready to order a second solar panel. It will be at least another 40 watt and I think I might be able to add an 80 watt. An 80 watt is only a little over $200 now. We are going to add a frig/freeze that runs with a real compressor to the boat and do away with the ice problem on our long trips. That is one reason to increase the solar panels.

c ya,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Status
Not open for further replies.