Winterizing Hunter 356

Jun 21, 2016
Hunter 356 Annapolis, MD
Since it takes weeks to get the antifreeze taste out of the fresh water system, I am wondering if it is safe to drain the tank and hot water heater and clear the water lines with compressed air as an alternative method of winterization. Has anyone tried this?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Yes. In fact, it is preferable. Any residual water either in a low spot in a line or the little bit remaining in the tank will have sufficient room to expand.
Parenthetically, good planning ahead...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There was a write-up on this in Practical Sailor. Too late for me. Now I'm dealing with getting all the pink stuff flushed out :cuss:

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Now I'm dealing with getting all the pink stuff flushed out :cuss:
You do that by recommissioning the system using the instructions in the article "fresh water maintenance" which has been posted a dozen times in the plumbing and sanitation forum and in both of my books.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Follow Peggy's advice. I do it every spring and have since 2004, and get it all out within a day. I do flush and run water through for several complete flashings. I test it in a white syrofoam cup to see if it is clear or not before moving on to resterilize. If you are not getting it out or the chlorine, you are not flushing enough. I follow the antifreeze flushing with Peggy's chlorination treatment. I let it sit for about 4 hours, then flush continuously. I set the input hose to approximate the output through all faucets. When I can't smell or taste chlorine, I put my new SafeH20 filters and UV light in. In 2013 I added a SafeH20 water filtration system and if there is any residual, it is filtered out by the two online filters. Be sure you don't turn on your hot water system until it is flushed out.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
When I lived in NY I always used air compressor to blow out water lines in my sailboat
and RV and even used shop vac part blower a few times and drain as much water first
and than use air to blow out all lines.
Nick

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I never put AF in my tanks. There's always a little water you can't get out and if there's AF in there it will take all summer to get it all flushed out. What I do is disconnect the hoses and let the tanks drain into the bilge. The bilge pumps take care of it and it gives the bilge a good rinse. Then I stick the tank hose in the AF jug and run the pump and faucets. The lines and fixtures get AF and the tanks are virtually empty. What little remains in the tanks has plenty of room to expand so its no problem. In the spring it only takes a couple gallons to get the AF taste out of the system.